Stirlo

Motion X Gps Tracks

Is anyone else out there using the iPhone app 'Motion X GPS' to track their rides?? I've used it for a while and have a few tracks stored away, seems to work quite well.. Also wanted to know if anyone wanted to share tracks of rides? Any feedback would be great.

I use it it works great. You can email the gpx or upload the gpx file to Facebook from within the app it's very easy. I have it on my ipad as well (diff version) but basically I go for a ride and then afterwards .email ithe gpx file to myself from my iPhone then open the file on my ipad . The file can also be uploaded to hill maps (a website) and edited or you can create one from scratch. You can then Download and import the gpx .. Very easy no mucking round with sd cards etc..

I have about 5 or 6 rides I've been on .. The gpx file can be used on any GPS as well

I download the maps of the area I'm going to ride the night before if I haven't been there before they are free.

I can then ride wherever and if I get lost (I never have yet) I can pull out my phone and pinpoint my location perfectly on a map that shows my current location even if there is no phone coverage and it' shows 4wd tracks that even google doesn't along with all the roads etc and use it to get out if required.

• Like 2

You blokes seem to know a bit about this, it is something that I wouldn't mind getting, however  I am an imbecile  when it comes to this type of gadgetry, I have only used maps when need be.

I don't have a smart phone yet, but I am due to be getting one some time soon, I have a few questions if you could help..........

* for this app to work can it be any type of smart phone or does it has to be an IPhone ( Apple ? ) 

* Does it work with no phone reception and how does it do it ?

* How long does a battery last ?

* Do I understand this correctly, you can turn your phone on at the start of a ride, and it maps everywhere you've been , you can then get a pin point during the ride if you need to get a live position of where you are currently and it will show your position on Google maps satellite view, or any other chosen map base ??  

* Can it give you longitude and latitude positions that you then reference back to a map when your in the middle of nowhere ?

* Do you keep your phone in the backpack or it has to be on the bars somewhere ?

And lastly is it reliable, or do you have to be perched on top of a mountain holding an umbrella for it to work ??  Or does  it still work in tight overgrown single at the bottom of a valley, am I expecting too much ??

Hope that's not too many stupid questions, thanks   :laureato-01:

• Like 2

You blokes seem to know a bit about this, it is something that I wouldn't mind getting, however  I am an imbecile  when it comes to this type of gadgetry, I have only used maps when need be.

I don't have a smart phone yet, but I am due to be getting one some time soon, I have a few questions if you could help..........

* for this app to work can it be any type of smart phone or does it has to be an IPhone ( Apple ? )  yes only works on iphone

* Does it work with no phone reception Yes and how does it do it ?  you down load the maps before you go  and then it relies on the gps in your phone... gps signals do not use the mobile phone 2g or 3g or 4g netowrks.

* How long does a battery last ?   my battery has run flat on 2 rides...but im getting smarter with my phone by turning off bluetooth and 3g and wireless and it seems to last from 8 in the morning till around 2 or 3 in the arvo without too much trouble

* Do I understand this correctly, you can turn your phone on at the start of a ride, yes and it maps everywhere you've been ,yes you can then get a pin point during the ride if you need to get a live position of where you are currently yes and it will show your position on Google maps satellite view,no or any other chosen map base ?? Not exactly you download the area you are going to ride in say "motion x road" and then when your out of phone service range or 3g is switched off you will only see your position in the map format you downloaded.. Satellite view isn't an option as it would require to much memory. I use "motion x road" as it shows virtually every 4wd track made in most state parks. 

* Can it give you longitude and latitude positions that you then reference back to a map when your in the middle of nowhere ?      it gives this constantanty and it has the map:)

* Do you keep your phone in the backpack or it has to be on the bars somewhere ?yes  I press start then put it in my backpack before putting on my helmet... you just let it go after that... It pauses automatically when you stop.   At the end of the day or at lunch you pull it out and have a look where you are and where you have been. You will see your start location along with the route you have taken up to a small triangle which denotes your current loaction and the direction you are facing.  :)   At the end of the day press pause then save else you record the drive home like I did :)

And lastly is it reliable, or do you have to be perched on top of a mountain holding an umbrella for it to work ??  Or does  it still work in tight overgrown single at the bottom of a valley, am I expecting too much ??        Wait for it to get a gps position before you take off at the start of the day though or it upsets it a little...(the start of the ride might look like a starry  its wont know the starting point....!  but it will recover..

Hope that's not too many stupid questions, thanks   :laureato-01:   I survived  :)

• Like 3

Nice one PeteV! I found the map download option the other day but didn't know you can use the files on other gps's.

So was it 15ks you had to walk?? :P

• Like 1

Nice one PeteV! I found the map download option the other day but didn't know you can use the files on other gps's.

So was it 15ks you had to walk?? :P

No only 800m to the nearest 4wd track..  but that was up and down off camber tree rooted side of the rutted bog hole lined gully pushing pulling dragging towing lifting my 120kg monster.

We both fell off our bikes on this track when the engines were working...

http://www.dirtriderz.com/topic/9588-elaine-mt-doran-lal-lal-saturday-1112014/

I might try this. I have dozens of rides in GPX format. The ability to view on I pad is worth a look

Thanks

• Like 1

I might try this. I have dozens of rides in GPX format. The ability to view on I pad is worth a look

Thanks

I only have it on my ipad as I was caught out by clever marketing... I read about motionx on Dirtriderz and thought $3 I'll give it a go  and was on my ipad at the time and so purchased it for my ipad first then went to install it on my phone and I had to purchase it again.. They cleverly created 2 different apps...

You can look at them on your ipad without the app but its handier with as all your rides in same location will come up (if imported) and you can change colours for diff rides etc..

I don't have a smart phone so the iPad app worth a look.

One of the better features is it can create a weblink containing the gpx file for download along with a google maps link of your gpx so you can share a track route very easily.

• Like 1

Thanks very much PeteV , its sounds shit hot I reckon !!    

And then later you can somehow get your track highlighted on google maps satellite image when your at home im guessing...... without having to have the knowledge of a Nobel prize winner to be able to do it..........

Regarding the dollar outlay apart from the phone, what does it all cost to set up, price of apps, maps, licensing if any, ongoing fees if any, hidden costs ,  flux capacitors, widgets and so on ???

• Like 1

Just that is worth the $3

Exactly....  Just like this... click on the link    look at the map or enlarge it...  open it in a new tab full screen change to satellite view.... If you like what you see download the gpx ... put into your gps and away you go...

http://gps.motionx.com/maps/f253739376c98148a74d7efe5081e45a

Thanks very much PeteV , its sounds shit hot I reckon !!    

And then later you can somehow get your track highlighted on google maps satellite image when your at home im guessing..... It does this automaggically.... without having to have the knowledge of a Nobel prize winner to be able to do it.......... I can lift heavy things

Regarding the dollar outlay apart from the phone, what does it all cost to set up, price of apps, maps, licensing if any, ongoing fees if any, hidden costs ,  flux capacitors, widgets and so on ??? $3  and iphone you  dont even need a sim card in it !

3 bucks and that includes the maps wow,     

One more stupid question................how do you blokes reply with the post showing from previous in your reply box that your answering to ???

3 bucks and that includes the maps wow,     

One more stupid question................how do you blokes reply with the post showing from previous in your reply box that your answering to ???

Bottom right corner of every post is the "Quote" button

Now while we are on the subject of sharing ridden tracks etc motionx has the facility to email tracks...

If we were to create a mailing list we could all share our tracks and with a click on our phones install a new track everytime someone goes for a ride and hits the share button in Motionx.

Motionx allows a description of the ride to be added as well so you could say 70% single track 6 kinda nasty hills etc... watch out for the bear on the fourth left corner..

Am I correct in saying people wont want to do this as some tracks will get ridden to much?

It might be a great way of bedding in new tracks...

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Now while we are on the subject of sharing ridden tracks etc motionx has the facility to email tracks...

If we were to create a mailing list we could all share our tracks and with a click on our phones install a new track everytime someone goes for a ride and hits the share button in Motionx.

Motionx allows a description of the ride to be added as well so you could say 70% single track 6 kinda nasty hills etc... watch out for the bear on the fourth left corner..

Am I correct in saying people wont want to do this as some tracks will get ridden to much?

It might be a great way of bedding in new tracks...

Thoughts?

Sounds like a top idea to me! Wouldn't have to miss out on a great ride because you were busy the day it was on. You could download the track and follow the same trails when you get a chance..

• Like 1

There are a lot of tracks for example at Elaine that are old and hard to pick as they haven't been ridden in many years.. If they were marked and shared like this others that don't know where it is would be able to attempt them and help bed it in...

but the quote button didn't work.............anyway thanks for the info, will be getting into this..

In the reply post editor is a switch on the top left (if the quote is greyed out ) try switching it and it will ungrey. This might fix it ?