detroit892

Apt Smart Carb

Hi guys, I have another interesting product that Iv'e been testing for a while now and would like to share my opinion as I think it deserves some acknowledgement.

I certainly do not want or intend for this to come across as a sales pitch and have no affiliation with the maker but if you have a 2 stroke and are always playing around with jetting, then this carby may help.

Not most but all of my fellow riders will tell you how anal I am am when it comes to the performance of my bikes, they are never good enough, there is always another mod or tune I must be able to do to achieve my ultimate bliss in satisfaction. I reckon I'll never get there, but the journey keeps me interested.

This style of carburettor http://www.powerapt.com/  seems to be a giant leap forward in ease of tuning. I can adjust my tune or needle in less than 30 seconds track side, it has a knob on top were you adjust your needle in clicker like increments via were your cable would normally enter your pwk carb giving you direct access to the needle. The cable has been offset to the front of the slide to allow for this. That's the first great thing, the second is that there is no jets to change, period. Once you establish which ballpark needle you need the rest is history. The needle size you get with it is worked out by the company supplying the carb to suit your bike and or application. Leaner or richer needles can be purchased. The necessity for replacing a needle once you have received the unit would be tested only at full throttle. Being if at full rich clicker adjustment your engine is running lean you purchase one needle richer and vise versa if the engine is still too rich at leanest clicker settings. That's it. Once you have determined this initial test at full throttle your right to go. I haven't had the necessity to change the needle from new as there is such a wide range of adjust-ability on these needles and the manufacturer obviously tries to supply you with a needle to suit your application as mentioned before. When originally purchased the supplier informed me they had done much testing on various engines to know what needles suit each bike. Unless you have some exotic engine you probably won't even have the need to fool around with this.

The third and most important advantage to me was that I don't need to make as many adjustments when changing altitudes or temps as It works on a pressurised bowl system. Go to the site for a more detailed explanation on how this works.

Basically I invested in this company by pre ordering a carb that wasn't ready for production yet. They needed the numbers to take this to the mass production level. I liked the concept and thought I would take the risk. Well it paid off for me.

I've been running it for almost a year now and can I say with confidence it is nothing short of a revelation in 2 stroke performance. I have so much more torque its like riding a new bike. I thought my KTM 380 had plenty torque, but once I slapped this baby in I had I so much more in such little time. All those years in jetting and F*****G around with jets, needles, slides etc, and in one afternoon its running better than it ever has before. Right of the bottom no hesitation with consistent arm ripping pull all the way to top. Crack the throttle at any stage and its just there with no lag whatsoever. And to top it off I use less fuel, not much, but non the less its better mileage. 

Without going too deep into the workings of this carb, this idea has been around for for many years but had minor short falls that did not suit the mainstream rider. These guys have developed this idea further and have finally achieved an almost injected like feel to the engine, maintaining a good air fuel mixture & atomisation throughout varying air densities. I use AFR (air fuel ratio meter) & ETG (exhast temp meter)  to tune most of my engines, and can verify that this carb on my engine does and excellent job in providing consistency. 

Now there are some cons to this fairytale. This carb is almost twice the weight of 38mm PWK keihin carb and a around 1/2 inch longer through the ports and 1/2 inch taller as it is a billet machined unit so yes it is a tight squeeze. I had to eventually extend my cable by about an inch to accommodate the carb more appropriately. I'm sure it would be safe to assume the new cast mass produced version would be lighter, but that is a question I have not asked.

Price for me was $800. This price has now dropped to around $675 for the billet and $375 for the cast version.

This might sound pricey but when you factor in all the hours and needles and jets I've spent Its a no brainier for me. Plus the satisfaction of the seat of the pants thrill.

And If you have any issues the technical support was superb, fast to reply and very informative and detailed in their response.

To be honest the installation guides are quite adequate and anyone with basic mechanical aptitude can successfully install one of these.

I would highly recommend this product to anyone whom is in search of something different and perhaps a better way. 

This review is based on one Billet 40mm APT Smart Carb installed and tested on one 1998 KTM380 SX engine of which has had much modifications done to it already.

• Like 5

Just checking out the website. The manufacturer claims it produces better atomisation than fuel injection. If that is true that is a bloody brilliant achievement.

Also apparently self adjusts to atmospheric pressure ie elevation, impressive for a carb

good to see your positive experience.

there was alot of hype on these about a year ago when they first came out but then it all went quiet. few teething problems but hopefully there sorted out now. extra length was a downfall i recall and hard to fit in. would be keen to give one a go if the range of the bike improved,ktm 300 has plenty for me standard so i definately don't need more grunt.

• Like 1