Hoobz904

'No-Toil' biodegradable air filter system. 10 out of 10.

I just like to share some info on a product I have started to use. I'm not on commission, or anything, for the product and def don't sell it etc.

I'm over cleaning my air filters using mineral turps or petrol. I've never liked it. It's such messy gunk. And even though I had a fairly good system of recycling and re-using the turps, it didn't cut it for me waste wise either.

Recently there was a promotional demonstration by the No-Toil distributors, of the No-Toil air filter system at my trail riding club meeting, at Road and River in Geelong. I only really went to the meeting because I knew about this demonstration. I've been curious about No-Toil for a while.

I've been won over for sure. There is quite a few aspects of the product I really appreciate.

Here's the product. I'm using their latest and most current water based, alcohol free, biodegradable kit they offer. The filter cleaner is on the left, oil in the middle and filter rim grease on the right. It comes as the complete kit. It costs about $26-28 for this kit. Shown is the smallest kit available, you can buy it in bigger, more economical sizes too.

Notoil.jpg

Here's how you use it.

• Mix a 1/4 of a cup of filter cleaner in a few litres of warm water. It has to be warm, works much better at activating the cleaning powder.
  • Squeeze that filter, over a few times, in the bucket of nice warm water, enjoying the fact your hands are being cleaned too. Don't ever wring the filter out with a squeezing, twisting action. That method damages the filter, tearing it.
  • It doesn't take long to remove all the dirt and old No-Toil filter oil. Very impressive.

3-1.jpg

• Now it's washed, squeeze out the excess water and cleaner. DO NOT wring out the air filter. It tears the filter foam.
  • I have a high end drying rack.
  • Allow the filter to dry out.

6-1.jpg

• The recommended method for applying No-Toil filter oil is to dunk the filter in a small container of oil, which has a reseal-able lid. Just put a lid on the container when you are finished, ready for next time.
  • It's very easy to spread completely through the filter.
  • Squeeze (again, don't wring it) as much excess oil out of the filter as you can.

9-1.jpg

• Refit the filter back on the filter cage. Apply a bead of approximately 5mm of No-Toil rim grease to the air filter rim where it contacts the air filter base contact area. Refit the filter and cage back onto your bike.
  • Throw the dirty air filter water onto your garden. It's not harmful to plants at all.
  • Wash your hands with a small amount of No-Toil air filter cleaner using warm water. Your hands will be very clean and fume free.

12-1.jpg

Job done. No mess. No sticky gunk all over stuff.

You need to leave the filter sit in your bike for approx an hour to let it set/dry, before you ride it. That's never a problem for me.

Seriously, everyone who has a few filters throws the filters into their washing machine (AKA as the Lukeage method). Just like clothes. Using the No-Toil cleaner instead of washing powder. How awesome is that?

Because this is biodegradable product, there is no need for oil contaminant collection, mats and precautions at races in the pits. Just chuck it in the bushes.

Before No-Toil I never used any air filter rim grease because it was just another messy head ache I didn't care for. I like using the No-Toil rim grease. It's easy and comes off quickly using the cleaner.

When you consider having to buy turps, look after and recycle it between air filter cleans, the mess on your hands, the petrol damaging your mitts etc etc etc >>> No-Toil has won me over x100.

No-Toil air filter oil won't be effected or come off your filter when you drown your bike or hit deep water crossing etc. The oil definitely needs to have the cleaner product mixed with warm water to move it off the filter. The only problem I see is if you happen to be riding through a hot deep spring water crossing (Like in New Zealand) and someone had accidentally dropped a few kilo's of cleaner in the spring. It's not going to happen hey?

No-Toil also sells air filters especially manufactured for this product, but it is in no way detrimental to use their air filters. You can buy No-Toil air filter cages without the metal spark arresting gauze in it, along with the special flame proof air filter element. They claim if you use the entire No-Toil system consisting of their cage, air filter element and oil (click here), you will see some decent extra horse power over the factory set ups. But for a hack like me, it's not the issue. I just love the stuff and how it works.

*Edits*

You can definitely use it on your old filters. Mine is the original that came with the bike when I bought it 2 years ago. Just make sure you clean it of all the old oil based product first, using turps first, then warm soapy water, ensuring it's very clean, then dry it properly. If you need another filter, because it's a timely upgrade while you're at it, I'd suggest buying a No-Toil air filter for the same price as most name brand filters. Blink-King sells No-Toil filters.

No-Toil has a few different air filter oil products. This is only a review of their Biodegradable version as shown in the pics. It's the latest version of their water based system.

Edited by Hoobz904
The day I don't make a fix up is the day....

Great write up Hoobz looks like good stuff i remember watchin the No Toil dvd that came with a magazine years ago but the stupid yanks on it must have turned me off cause i never really took much notice of it.

I know DG and Felroy use it and wash their filters in their washing machine using it.

I started using it about 7 years ago, only real drawbacks are, the filter takes time to dry, solvents dry much faster so you need spares to whack back in, harder to clean on the trail, you either need a spare to take with you on multi day rides away from home or carry the cleaning stuff which is not practical, but I suppose you can get around most of these problems. I know the chux helps on that one. I am lucky as my airfilter is basically a flat piece of foam with no cage so its easy to carry and change in about 2min, but it doesn't seem to matter how dirty it gets it still seems to go the same.

Very nice.

I hate doing filters. Specially the mess.

How does it work with filter sox?

I have been having some issues with my Belray oil of late seems harder to remove excess oil. Used to use twin air as its thin and then thickens when left to rest. How "thin" in the notoll. stuff?

The main reason I ask is I have been running a bit ritch of late due to having too much oil in filter.

If this stuff is nice to squeeze out and able to chuck in wash I am sold. With mine and the wifes bike to do, I get sick of them rather quick.

Grouse review Hoobzter!!

I have been thinking about trying this for a while now, after hearing other people i know give it a good wrap....

As a matter of fact, im catching up with Felroy tonight who was kind enough to purchase this product during the week, as no bike shops local stock it.....

I have used the Motul Filter Oil for as long as i can remember, and have been keen to try something different and easier

Seems a few more people on here rate it also

This stuff might be handy for some people....................................If you know what I mean!!

Notoil.jpg

great report Hoobz and very timely!!

I have been toying with swapping over to this stuff for a while and i'm almost out of my current motul oil.....

i bought a new filter last week so i'd have 2 for the upcoming dusty conditions so i think i might hold off on using it till i get some of this stuff.... will it be ok to use it on my old one?? - one that has had "normal" oil and turps etc through it already????

can we see about a group buy..ill be keen..ive been getting hastled to use this stuff for a while now..

I'd like to hear what Miranda and Mick think of the product for sure. I didn't know they were onto it.

Great review Hoobster, well put together. I've been thinking about this product also, I use kero at home and it is a PITA.

Where did you get it for $26 ?

Cheapest I've found it is Torpedo7 $28 + freight

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/N5AFMN027/title/no-toil-evo-3pc-air-filter-maintenance-kit

I bought it at Road and River, straight after the demo. I paid $25 but I think it usually sells for $28 in there :). I have changed the price slightly in my original review.

I have just sent a PM to PaulyT of Bling King regarding the product, as it is legal to send the biodegradable kit in the mail. He may come in her soon with some info and pricing.

Great write up Hoobz looks like good stuff i remember watchin the No Toil dvd that came with a magazine years ago but the stupid yanks on it must have turned me off cause i never really took much notice of it.

I know DG and Felroy use it and wash their filters in their washing machine using it.

Haha. Yep, that would put me off too. We had an Aussie couple with a long history in dirt biking show us the products >>> Trent from Serco and Kassandra from Gas Imports.

There ya go. We found some washing machine users of it.

I started using it about 7 years ago, only real drawbacks are, the filter takes time to dry, solvents dry much faster so you need spares to whack back in, harder to clean on the trail, you either need a spare to take with you on multi day rides away from home or carry the cleaning stuff which is not practical, but I suppose you can get around most of these problems. I know the chux helps on that one. I am lucky as my airfilter is basically a flat piece of foam with no cage so its easy to carry and change in about 2min, but it doesn't seem to matter how dirty it gets it still seems to go the same.

Ahhh yeah, thanks Red, good points to bear in mind for multi-day rides/races.

This is a newer product again, it's the latest version, but you still need to leave the filter for one hour after oiling it, so it dries and sets etc.

Yep, out on a multi-day ride you'd have to think about it a bit more. But I hope you took your dirty air filter cleaning fuel back out with you :P

As far as using it at home in the garage goes, I'm not missing the fumey and dirty methods of old. My misses is glad I don't come back inside stinking of oil, turps and gunk anymore. Instead she grabs my freshly cleansed hands and enjoys their odour free, fresh, soft and smooth feel :rolleyes:

Very nice.

I hate doing filters. Specially the mess.

How does it work with filter sox?

I have been having some issues with my Belray oil of late seems harder to remove excess oil. Used to use twin air as its thin and then thickens when left to rest. How "thin" in the notoll. stuff?

The main reason I ask is I have been running a bit ritch of late due to having too much oil in filter.

If this stuff is nice to squeeze out and able to chuck in wash I am sold. With mine and the wifes bike to do, I get sick of them rather quick.

The product feels a little bit thicker than normal oil based products. But it squeezes through the whole filter really easy, that's one of the reasons I like it. Use the bucket method, and keep squeezing and wiping the excess off. It's a bit different at first but becomes fun.

Nice write up Hoobz, been using this stuff for a few years now and its the goods!

Just wanted to ask about this product while we are on the no toil topic;

http://notoil.com/index.php/products/super-flow-kit.html

Anyone use these? Are they any good?

Is that what you have got Hoobz?

Cheers ;)

That's the kit I mentioned in my review and it would be the best way to go for sure Dan. I'm still usung my original twin air that came with the bike new though. I'm a tight wad hey. I have linked the webpage in my review for others, thank heaps for the link.

I'm going to get that kit soon.

Grouse review Hoobzter!!

I have been thinking about trying this for a while now, after hearing other people i know give it a good wrap....

As a matter of fact, im catching up with Felroy tonight who was kind enough to purchase this product during the week, as no bike shops local stock it.....

I have used the Motul Filter Oil for as long as i can remember, and have been keen to try something different and easier

Seems a few more people on here rate it also

Thanks Geoffro.

There may be a draw back or two for some people, I haven't heard of anything that effects me at all though, but I'm sold over big time.

Once you get your method right, after a couple of filter cleans, you'll be glad you did it.

great report Hoobz and very timely!!

I have been toying with swapping over to this stuff for a while and i'm almost out of my current motul oil.....

i bought a new filter last week so i'd have 2 for the upcoming dusty conditions so i think i might hold off on using it till i get some of this stuff.... will it be ok to use it on my old one?? - one that has had "normal" oil and turps etc through it already????

Thanks 2t4me.

That's also a reason I bought this. Good timing for me too, I was out as well and wanted to try this when the demo came up.

I have edited in a note at the bottom of my review. You can most definitely keep using your old filter. Just clean it out completely using turps (or petrol one more time), soapy warm water and let it dry out fully. That's exactly what I'm using and have done to mine.

can we see about a group buy..ill be keen..ive been getting hastled to use this stuff for a while now..

Maybe PaulyT of Bling King in here, can work something out for us?

Edited by Hoobz904

nice review hoobz I'm sold on the idea and shall be swapping to this product. On a side note, who was lady hand model you used in your review:sorriso3:

If you happen to drown your bike:(......

will the no toil oil dissolve at all????:)

Dincha read the whole lot? And...if you hadda been at that club meeting you would already know all this... haha

Opening post, product review: Paragraph 11, section 4... No-Toil air filter oil won't be effected or come off your filter when you drown your bike or hit deep water crossing etc. The oil definitely needs to have the cleaner product mixed with warm water to move it off the filter. The only problem I see is if you happen to be riding through a hot deep spring water crossing (Like in New Zealand) and someone had accidentally dropped a few kilo's of cleaner in the spring. It's not going to happen hey?

nice review hoobz I'm sold on the idea and shall be swapping to this product. On a side note, who was lady hand model you used in your review:sorriso3:

NF,

Thanks, I iz glad you like the review.

It was my boyfrenn' . He couldn't take the pics because he only has one hand.

Nah, it's me own shexy hand, and the camera is covered in No-Toil at the moment.

With bio airfilter oil now an option, bike wash is also now available, and natural rubber tires on the market...

All we need now is to get the bikes running on Ethanol with veg oil for lube dutys and the greenies can get stuffed!

lol

Dincha read the whole lot? And...if you hadda been at that club meeting you would already know all this... haha

Opening post, product review: Paragraph 11, section 4... No-Toil air filter oil won't be effected or come off your filter when you drown your bike or hit deep water crossing etc. The oil definitely needs to have the cleaner product mixed with warm water to move it off the filter. The only problem I see is if you happen to be riding through a hot deep spring water crossing (Like in New Zealand) and someone had accidentally dropped a few kilo's of cleaner in the spring. It's not going to happen hey?

NF,

Thanks, I iz glad you like the review.

It was my boyfrenn' . He couldn't take the pics because he only has one hand.

Nah, it's me own shexy hand, and the camera is covered in No-Toil at the moment.

What a dumbo:( I must have missed that bit............

If I went to the club meet I would have sat at McAdam park scratching my you knows whats thinking I was on the wrong night:(

I've been curious about this stuff. Looks easy! Thanks for the pics!

Every time I use it, I'm grateful I changed to it. Awesomely user friendly and you come away with really clean and fresh hands. No odors. It might take a couple of goes to get a system happening, but it's def worth it.

I've been using it for years. I think the rim grease is pretty useless, but the rest works really well.

I never used any rim grease before using No-Toil. Do you use another rim grease now Cal, or nothing?

I wonder if it's worth using any at all too. Surely the pressure squeezing the air filter foam to the flange is enough to keep dirt from passing through this area.

I usually just smear some extra no-toil on the flange before fitting the filter. I found the grease dried out and broke down pretty quickly in the air, then it goes watery in the tube, then it goes in the bin.

I usually just smear some extra no-toil on the flange before fitting the filter.

Haha. That's what I did using the old filter oil actually. A lap around the rim with the oil, then fit it.

I've been using this stuff for about 2 years and love how easy it is to use. I agrre the rim grease is a bit shit...... Miranda got me onto this stuff.

I usually just smear some extra no-toil on the flange before fitting the filter. I found the grease dried out and broke down pretty quickly in the air, then it goes watery in the tube, then it goes in the bin.

Haha. That's what I did using the old filter oil actually. A lap around the rim with the oil, then fit it.

Thats the go, if your foam needs grease to seal the filter cage must be garbage.

Gotta admit im another fan of No Toil...... been using Motul filter oil for as long as i can remember, but no toil is so much easier and i no longer need turps.......