Tubliss Tyre Inserts
4 4

244 posts in this topic

Hi guys I've been away for around 2 years but I'm back and I thought Id start with a review.

Here goes.

TuBliss tube replacements. I've been running these for at nearly 4 years know and I must say they are still the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. Moose tubes are great too but limit the amount of feel you can get since you cant just deflate them to get that extra bit of traction. I have run these as low as 5 psi to get up gnarly slippery hill climbs and could continue to ride until I had time to stop and pump them up again.

No more dented rims either, the inner tube does a great job of supporting the rim. Have never had a flat since running these and I weigh 120kg all geared up, smashing into roots like no tomorrow without any worries.

It is a bit of an art to getting them to seal properly, if you watch the tutorial video and follow it carefully you wont have an issue. And as far as tyre selection goes I've tried just about every tyre out their. In my shed at the moment are about 30 different half used  tyres. I have yet to find a brand that wont work with these.

They were a bit expensive when they first came out at around 100 bucks each but know that will get front and rear.

Longevity? well that deepens on how well you look after them when changing tyres. In all this time I bought 2 front and 3 rear.  

Also, no more crap inside my rims when I remove my tyre. They stay as clean as when I first put the tyre on, regardless of mud, sand, puddles, river crossings they simply keep everything out.

Another advantage is they are so much lighter than the extra heavy tubes I used to use in the past, allowing better response from my suspension.

And if your unlucky enough to pickup a farmers nail (which is about the only way you would get a flat) you could still get back to the car without stuffing your rim. I've run them flat as an experiment once and the fact that the bead is still held in place by the inner tube has truly been the reason why I never ever carry a spare tube any more. That means less weight again, no spare tube or tools to change it with.

I would recommend these for anyone.

• Like 11

Nice right up.

Thanks for your experience.

Where can you get the for 100 bucks a pair now?

I've ran mine for over 2 years, I have spare inner tubes but have never needed them.

I'm on tapatalk and can't tell if he has edited it, but he says 100 each on my screen.

I am putting new tyres on right now actually. My SX has the Tubliss system in it too.

I just did the front, Dunlop MX31F. Man o man. Struggle city for me. Came in for a rest before I do the rear.

Do the MX31's have the stiffest sidewall in history or what, being the soft terrain mud tyre? Just would not go smoothly. They sat in front of a heater to soften it up too.

Road and River won't change tubliss tyres :(

I was seriously contemplating junking the tubliss when I was out there.

I'm just going to suck it up like the princess I am and do the rear though, because they are so light. Worth it to me for that, and the puncture scenario as mentioned.

I'm on tapatalk and can't tell if he has edited it, but he says 100 each on my screen.

I am putting new tyres on right now actually. My SX has the Tubliss system in it too.

I just did the front, Dunlop MX31F. Man o man. Struggle city for me. Came in for a rest before I do the rear.

Do the MX31's have the stiffest sidewall in history or what, being the soft terrain mud tyre? Just would not go smoothly. They sat in front of a heater to soften it up too.

I'm just going to suck it up like the princess I am and do the rear though, because they are so light. Worth it to me for that, and the puncture scenario as mentioned.

Yes they can be a pain, I managed to break the bead of a 31 with a mousse, but I'm a special kind of stupid

• Like 1

Oh phew. It's not just unko me then.

That's exactly what looked like happening

'Any second this @#$% bead is going to #$&* break...and I'm going back to #$@% tubes and Road and River doing my @#$% changes.' Lol.

It went that well. Haha

Hi guys I've been away for around 2 years but I'm back and I thought Id start with a review.

Here goes.

TuBliss tube replacements. I've been running these for at nearly 4 years know and I must say they are still the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. Moose tubes are great too but limit the amount of feel you can get since you cant just deflate them to get that extra bit of traction. I have run these as low as 5 psi to get up gnarly slippery hill climbs and could continue to ride until I had time to stop and pump them up again.

No more dented rims either, the inner tube does a great job of supporting the rim. Have never had a flat since running these and I weigh 120kg all geared up, smashing into roots like no tomorrow without any worries.

It is a bit of an art to getting them to seal properly, if you watch the tutorial video and follow it carefully you wont have an issue. And as far as tyre selection goes I've tried just about every tyre out their. In my shed at the moment are about 30 different half used  tyres. I have yet to find a brand that wont work with these.

They were a bit expensive when they first came out at around 100 bucks each but know that will get front and rear.

Longevity? well that deepens on how well you look after them when changing tyres. In all this time I bought 2 front and 3 rear.  

Also, no more crap inside my rims when I remove my tyre. They stay as clean as when I first put the tyre on, regardless of mud, sand, puddles, river crossings they simply keep everything out.

Another advantage is they are so much lighter than the extra heavy tubes I used to use in the past, allowing better response from my suspension.

And if your unlucky enough to pickup a farmers nail (which is about the only way you would get a flat) you could still get back to the car without stuffing your rim. I've run them flat as an experiment once and the fact that the bead is still held in place by the inner tube has truly been the reason why I never ever carry a spare tube any more. That means less weight again, no spare tube or tools to change it with.

I would recommend these for anyone.

Nice report mate.

That really hit the nail on the head.

Yeah. 100 a pair. Thats cheap

Haha. It does say 100 each but just after that it say but know that will get front and rear.

• Like 1

Yup that's how I read it.. :)

If your having trouble getting the Tyre on hoobz I don't see how tubes will help other than someone else doing it for you.

It's takes me 15 minutes or less to change a Tyre. That includes taking the wheel off and packing up the tools. It shouldn't be that hard if you follow the instructions.

curious - reading up on these yesterday on this LINK and they refernce the 2nd generation blah blah

in the past i've heard of sealing issues etc - are any of you running the 2nd generation or are you using the first?

i've been swaying back and forth for a while and whilst i like the absolute failproof factor of a mousse i think i'll be looking around and ordering a set of these in the next week

• Like 1

Keep us posted Dustin.
Would be good to see how you get on.

Maybe a sponsor on here may be able to do a bulk buy deal.

No harm in asking.

• Like 1

curious - reading up on these yesterday on this LINK and they refernce the 2nd generation blah blah

in the past i've heard of sealing issues etc - are any of you running the 2nd generation or are you using the first?

i've been swaying back and forth for a while and whilst i like the absolute failproof factor of a mousse i think i'll be looking around and ordering a set of these in the next week

Ive been the same way for awhile now, Ive been looking at these after Geoffyboy mentioned them previously and his experience with them.

But then again someone raises the point of the mousses and re-hashes a thread with them and it gets me thinking they are the better way to go.

I keep swaying back & forth with these 2 ... I like how the Tubliss System you can continue to adjust your pressures.

But the mousses you dont get the flats regardless under any situation happens ???

So many good reason for both systems .........

I back them more now because I have them and dont really want to spend money on something else when I have a system that really works.

I'm sure mousse work great. The racers use them and they wouldnt use something that wouldnt.

But for me Tubliss works for me.

Im interested as quite sure Id never go with a mousse as they are heavy... and expensive,

this system seems light and less expensive and Im all for making wheels lighter, they just turn better

• Like 1

the way i've decided to look at it Crash - and people with one or the other are very parochial - is the slight chance of a monumental ride ending failure of the tubliss system outweighs the advantegs of the mousses...

tubliss - for

Approx $100-$150 per end - $200-$300 - upfront

replacement inner tube - if needed - approx $20

ability to adjust your pressures as you see fit

any tyre can be used and pressures can be adjusted independantly with any tyre

weight savings over bothuhd and mousses (at least i think they are lighter than a mousse)

Tubliss - against

failure is still possible

a small repair kit and a small pump or co2 cannisters will still need to be carried

mousses - for

absolutly fail proof (unless your mr noodle and you ruin the bead fitting it!)

rims completely protected from dents from riding over obsticles

mousses - against

cost initial and ongoing - from what i understand $100-$150 per end

ongoing replacements - some say 6 months, some say yearly, some say you might get 2 - 3 years... but replacements at the same price

cost of lube - not sure how much but it is a cost

messy (if your precious!!) with installatons

start of at one pressure and slowly get softer - at some point no doubt theyll be spot on though!

from what i've red on here in the last few days differen pressures from the same mousses in different tyres...

i think if i was racing or more affluent (i.e. the minister of finance more understanding) i'd give mousses a go...

but being that im an average trail hack whose minister for finance doesnt understand bikes or the ongoing costs (and no, I dont wear the pants!!) and who doesnt like changing tubes on the side of a track (twice in an accumulated 6 or so years of riding) i think the tubliss is the way that I'LL PERSONALLY be going!

*the above is opinion, here say, assumption and approx prices - if you want to get pedantic on the finer points of detail enjoy!

• Like 7

I AM SOOOOOOOO CONFUSED....................

both tubliss and mousse seem to have a lot of good points.

At the moment there is a supply issue with 21inch golden tyre mousses at a reasonable price. This is what will probably swing me tubliss in the end.

I would say thats about it in a nut shell Dusty  :)

The TUbliss might be a little more expensive at the start and unless you have a catastrophic failure with them are a better and more reasonable to the average rider.

I think it has swayed my opinion a bit from sitting on the fence for so long ... 

Time to get a quote on getting these !!!

• Like 1

If your having trouble getting the Tyre on hoobz I don't see how tubes will help other than someone else doing it for you.

It's takes me 15 minutes or less to change a Tyre. That includes taking the wheel off and packing up the tools. It shouldn't be that hard if you follow the instructions.

Yes, as in a pr3vious p0st. The only reason I'd have tubes again is so Road and River would do my tyre changes for me. I drop off the wheels on my to work and pick them up on the way home. $15. Mad if you didn't. Very popular service here in Geelong.

Otherwise I am a tubliss fan for sure.

No way could I do a tyre change in 15 with MX31's. Have you tried the soft terrain MX31's? Stubbornly stiff.

I'd pay to see you do it in under 15, from on bike and back on bike again. Do mine next time please? Lol.

• Like 2

I've been using second generation and have not had any sealing issues. I have complete confidence in them in that regard.

• Like 2

Does anyone know the difference between the first and second gen?

I don't know which ones we have so I would say first gen. And haven't had sealing issues.

• Like 1

I've been running Tubliss (1st gen) for nearly 4 years now too and have only had one issue and that's cause I didn't follow the correct procedure when fitting them once even then it was easily fixed on the trail and didn't stop me riding.

When they first came out I was very sceptical about running a tube type tyre tubeless but riding the high country a lot the and not having to worry about getting impact punctures which are probably the cause of 98% of flats on the trail is what won me over and I haven't looked back.

• Like 4

Does anyone know the difference between the first and second gen?

I don't know which ones we have so I would say first gen. And haven't had sealing issues.

2nd gen have been out for a while (more than a year). The 2nd gen have an upgraded red liner

• Like 1

I wonder what they upgraded.

I might email them.

The rubber has been reformulated and possibly construction eg no of plys of nylon maybe different.

You can visually tell the difference. 1st gen are red externally and black internally. 2nd Gen are all red

gen1vsgen2.jpg

• Like 1

Just ordered some gen 2's from bikemart... $149 each (but I got a few things and didn't pay ticket total so don't know exact price)...

Will fit them up when I ditch the ADR tyres...