dirtbikegirl91

Best Bikes For Motox

Hey all :)

So im looking at getting a new bike (at the moment I have a crf 230) this time I want a race bike and dont know where to start, wether a 125 or 250 or what brand is the best .. so ladies any suggestions? or anyone for that matter would be awesome :)

Cheers !

125 is the way to go then, only because the class you'll race in is more likely to be with similar skilled riders. Most of the big boys won't want to ride a 125 2t so with a bit of practice and fitness you'll stand a chance of being competitive. Even moving up to a 250f you're likely gonna be up against some top notch riders even I they at only "C" graded. Worth noting that yes the 250f would be an easier bike to ride.

Cheers, Brendan

• Like 3

125 is the way to go then, only because the class you'll race in is more likely to be with similar skilled riders. Most of the big boys won't want to ride a 125 2t so with a bit of practice and fitness you'll stand a chance of being competitive. Even moving up to a 250f you're likely gonna be up against some top notch riders even I they at only "C" graded. Worth noting that yes the 250f would be an easier bike to ride.

Cheers, Brendan

Agreed

personally coming off a crf230 i'd go a modern 250f and not even entertain the 125 2t idea . they're lighter then the 230 by 8-10kgs and heaps easier to ride then a 125 2t on the pipe,which can be a handful to ride properly on a track.

i've seen alot of young teenage girls riding them well down the mx track.

if your fortunate enough to be going new i'd recommend the 2014 yamaha yz250. i've spent a bit of time on one lately and there a killer of a bike and stick like glue to the track,a truely amazing machine with a smooth now injected motor that won't pull your arms off either.

if a bit older,try and go the kx,rmz,crf injected models not carbureted models .

• Like 2

personally coming off a crf230 i'd go a modern 250f and not even entertain the 125 2t idea . they're lighter then the 230 by 8-10kgs and heaps easier to ride then a 125 2t on the pipe,which can be a handful to ride properly on a track.

i've seen alot of young teenage girls riding them well down the mx track.

if your fortunate enough to be going new i'd recommend the 2014 yamaha yz250. i've spent a bit of time on one lately and there a killer of a bike and stick like glue to the track,a truely amazing machine with a smooth now injected motor that won't pull your arms off either.

if a bit older,try and go the kx,rmz,crf injected models not carbureted models .

+1

Not sure why anyone would be suggesting that a female coming of a 230F get onto a 125....

250F all the way.

• Like 2

+1

Not sure why anyone would be suggesting that a female coming of a 230F get onto a 125....

250F all the way.

Many girlz and ladies struggle to kick start the mx 4ts, especially when stalled hot.......

The 125 is a smaller chassis too.

Many girlz and ladies struggle to kick start the mx 4ts, especially when stalled hot.......

Not a bad point you've got there wobbler. I'm still swayed towards the 4t but you've brought me back a little bit.

if thats an issue buy the ktm sxf250 as it has electric start only and is still a fair mxer once the boingers are addressed..

what kind of tracks are you going to be riding? if its soft boggy sand or rocky/boulders the 125 will be harder to ride due to the nature of a 2 stroke. Both 125's and 250f's have great pro's and cons.

125 Pro

extremely light bike

good power which can be easy to handle

reliable

cheap to buy second hand

parts are fairly cheap if needed

doesn't wear tyres out very quickly

easy to start

wouldn't need the engine touched a lot depending on how much you ride. If you race every second weekend 4 or 5 races per meeting it will need a set of ring mid year and a piston at the end of the year, probly a new crank and mains every 2 to 3 years. (estimated on using a twin ring piston.)

im sure there is more that people can add when they think about it.

125 con

mixing fuel every time you need to fill up the bike (not putting oil in the fuel will ruin the engine and cost about $2500ish to fix worse case at a guess)

tricky to ride on boulders as they are very responsive when coming into band they can get flighty when going over rocks

tricky to ride in deep sand as they need to be reved to the moon to make power, a lot of new riders have a lot of stalls or crashes due to not reving them enough in deep sand which kills confidence

normally the tallest seat heights of all bikes

falling off can dent the expansion chamber not a major detriment to power at our level of riding mainly a cosmetic problem

jetting can be tricky you may notice the engine running differently in winter to summer or sea level to high altitude again not a real issue but can cause it to foul plugs

not as many on race day as 4 strokes (though this is changing) so if you need parts they may not be at the track

250F Pro

good tractable power

no mixing fuel can fuel up straight from the bowser

some models are electric start (KTM and Husky)

lots on raceday if you break a lever or loose a gear lever, crack a magneto cover, squash a header pipe etc.

lower seat height than 125's usually

second hand 250f's aren't worth a lot ex race bikes you can pick up a 12 or 13 ex race bike for about 5 or 6k (Hondas 2014 CRF 250 is $8250 brand new for the next 2 weeks)

reliable based on the same riding schedule as above I honestly would do a piston and rings and cam chain every 2 years, crank 2 to 4 years depending on how you keep the oil to it and the model of bike you choose, new valves with valve seats re cut and new valve springs maybe every 3 or 4 years again depending on what model you choose. Though if you buy an ex race bike from a top rider factor a piston and crank in the first year. (I am basing the riding style off my wife she was 11th in the Oz womens nationals in 2007 she doesn't rev the bike hard and sit on the limiter like A or B grade mx riders do, this reduces engine life)

250f will wear rear tyres more than a 125 but not at astonishing rates like a 450

lots of aftermarket bling and current graphics kits available for them if you want to keep the looks up to date

they are fun to ride, you can ride them smoothly over rocks and in deep sand they have more tractor power to get through things.

less to take if you go racing with partner/friends as you can take one jerry can as it uses straight fuel and you can use the same oil and levers as spares.

pipes don't get dented as much when you stack

250f cons

if it goes bang (engine failure) your looking at about $4500 to rebuild a complete engine

it is heavier than a 125 but is still lighter than your 230

can be a pain in the bum to restart and hard to restart if its been on its side and flooded though EFI bikes are starting to do away with this problem every 250F except Yamaha has been efi from 2009ish up (please someone correct me if I am wrong)

everyone has one

maintenance is higher, oil and filter changes every second race meeting, checking and maybe reshimming valves every 5 race meetings

parts are slightly more expensive though parts are coming down in price and lots more aftermarket options available

A and B grade riders are on the rev limiter a lot when scrubbing jumps or railing corners the 250f is uses high in the revs most of the time, this is not good for cranks, big end bearings and valve train.

a lot to take in and think about if you can ride each one and have a sit on them would be the best way to asses each one and see if you gell with one more than the other.

• Like 3

First question I'd like to ask is, are you wanting to be competitive in MX ( motocross ) track or Enduro racing ?   No one can determine witch bike best suits you unless they see how you ride and how you feel about riding and pushing a bike to the next level.  A MX 250 4T/ 125 2T is a big step up from a tame 230. 

There are so many bike's that are 'fit for purpose but you need to decide witch one :)

Yazza'

• Like 1

The125 mx'er can be challenging in an enduro situation but certainly rewarding for the riders who persevere - a long way from a CRF230 though

Hi, Have you got your new bike yet? I'm a KX guy but for you the best would be a KTM250f with electric start. The class that you will be competing in is an open class (any Bike size) and the 125 will disadvantage you against the 250fs.

Also if you want to ride up the bush the KTM250f will be an easier bike all round.

All the best with your racing

Hey :) I ended up getting a yz250... it is awesome :) thank you all for your help :)

good to see you got the yz 250f ,the toughest and the most reliable of the bunch. you'll love it. now you've got to learn to kick it,they take a bit of practise with the high compression,it's mostly all good technique.

looks like the forks are a bit to far though the triple clamps,there usually only about 5mm up. if you notice it being unstable at speed,turning to sharp or trying to turn to the inside of a rut while cornering then this will be why. don't stress though, ride it and see how it handles,you may not notice it.

the previous owner may also have wound the rear spring preload off in an attempt to slightly lower the bike and this may help somewhat to keep it balanced with the fork that has been raised.