Wobbler

Crossover Bikes - Ktm Freeride, Sherco X-Ride Pros And Cons

Looking at the KTM FR250R or Sherco x-ride 290 as a new bike for a 112kg bloke in his 40s

I'm not keen on riding fast, just interested in safe bush adventure.

What is the general feeling on these "new" bike types?

Are they just a fad?

Is a 250 / 300 2t enduro or midi 4t enduro like the TE 310 or kato/hussa 350 what I really want?

Do I keep what I've got and save $8k?

Post away

Crossover vs enduro

Pro for crossover

Light and nimble - easy to push hard for a day on tight complex trails, easy to lift, pick up, push

Price - $2k to $3k cheaper than mid size enduro

Not intimidating easy to ride

Good on knurly hill climbs and snott

Ideally ridden standing

Nothing complex (no EFI, power valve and detuned engine)

Con for crossover

Unknown high speed performance

Lacks versatility, not as good for a long ride, mx track blast or desert trip

Weak front end?

Fuel range small tank with no option of bigger tank

Cost, though cheaper I suspect won't hold resale value

Starting - no kick start for KTM, no button start for sherco

Your mates will question manhood on crossover

May not have that fun factor on an open track (the wide open throttle smile effect)

Parts and supply (sherco)

I rekon try before you buy would show you what you want mate, a ride of longer than 30 minutes I'd say.

You're welcome to try my bike next time I see you.

I rekon try before you buy would show you what you want mate, a ride of longer than 30 minutes I'd say.

You're welcome to try my bike next time I see you.

Thanks nimj.

What I'm actually after is people's opinions on the crossover bikes. Are they a gimmick or a genuine new source of dirt dike enjoyment.

As both the KTM and Sherco 2t are unavailable until November there is plenty of time for discussion. I'm not interested in the FR 350.

Ok mate, just thought you'd like to try a few different things but if you're set on those few bikes I say sign up for one of their ride days perhaps?

Why are you wanting to upgrade? That little bike of yours is an absolute rippa mate!!

Ok mate, just thought you'd like to try a few different things but if you're set on those few bikes I say sign up for one of their ride days perhaps?

Why are you wanting to upgrade? That little bike of yours is an absolute rippa mate!!

#1 on my list is a kato 350.... I just want to see if these bikes would suit me better.

I like the KDX it is heaps of fun. Unfortunately I did a run on Scott's 350 exe, it exposed the narrow power band of the small bore 2t. I didnt realise that keeping the little KDX in the sweet spot is so much harder than other bikes.

Also I'm getting a bit blue on myself doing so much damage to a bike that 3 months ago would have been a concourse show winner

Back to topic

Any thoughts on why someone would want a cross over 2t over and enduro bike.

If anyone is considering a crossover, why

If anyone can't see the point, why

• Like 2

I personally like the look of the freeride 250R better than all the other, looks more like a normal enduro bike.

The other ones look waaaay too trials orientated IMO.

I wonder if the more trials orientated ones would keep up in the transport/faster sections...

• Like 1

Id love on of these if all I rode was tight. Technical. Bike lifting trails. But the unfortunate side effect of that is transport sections between parts.

• Like 1

So, is that a big thumbs up from Gasman?? Lol

Well it would be a joke to do the hatta on one wouldn't it.

Keep the comments flowing, good bad and ugly

Perhaps you're looking at the wrong market ..... what about a 500 2T of some description?

A sedate kx500 as a resto project? Yep.

Next please

You must have a 2 stroke as your next bike?

Me no, I'm not strokist. Though I prefer the ease of maintenance of a 2t over the EFI multi valve 4t.

I think the ktm FR 350 is too fuel limited so have not considered it. Any bike I have must be able to do 100km on a tank.

Truth be known ill probably be on some form of mid sized enduro bike next year.

I'm just trying to figure out what is good or bad about these new style bikes. So far other than transport speed slow, and being suitable for madigras transport I have nothing good or bad.

Seems people love or hate these things but don't know why.

I want to know why just in case this is the style of bike most suited for my next bike

Id love on of these if all I rode was tight. Technical. Bike lifting trails. But the unfortunate side effect of that is transport sections between parts.

Agreed, however I'm pretty sure they will keep up with my current speed on TX sections, I'm pretty slow this would not be a reason to reject the style of bike if they were awesome on a goat track.

The way I see it, for my build (festive) I dont see the suspension handling big washout jumps well. I followed a 350 freeride the other week and he moved along very well and in transit they still arent slow. But he was probably 60kgs.

The way I see it, for my build (festive) I dont see the suspension handling big washout jumps well. I followed a 350 freeride the other week and he moved along very well and in transit they still arent slow. But he was probably 60kgs.

I'm a 110 kg ex rugby player. Any bike I buy will need to be sprung correctly. Again not a reason to reject provided they can do a good clip along a trail.

I do agree that they would be less than ideal in open country desert work or racing. But so are most small bore bikes.

I understand being sprung correctly is part of it. I just mean I bottom out my correctly sprung for 110kg 500 over nasty stuff. The freerides I believe have less travel and smaller bore forks. But again, it all depends on what you ride, and I think this style of bike will become very popular.

I understand being sprung correctly is part of it. I just mean I bottom out my correctly sprung for 110kg 500 over nasty stuff. The freerides I believe have less travel and smaller bore forks. But again, it all depends on what you ride, and I think this style of bike will become very popular.

Con: front suspension travel and bore. Also note that the sherco has conventional forks too.

I did read that the fr250r will have the same front end the 350 excf. KTM must have noticed the front end of the 350 freeride was a bit weak too.

I think its a bit of a fad. Unless they become a bit cheaper so people can afford to buy them as a second bike. Great for Europe where there is hardly any riding areas but here only good for beginner riders and people who ride knarly stuff all the time. Get a 250/350 4 stroke, you will love it. As far as maintence on these 4 strokes its about the same as a 2 stroke. Don't believe everything you read on internet forums and magazines.

• Like 4

Get a 250/350 4 stroke, you will love it.

As far as maintence on these 4 strokes its about the same as a 2 stroke.

Don't believe everything you read on internet forums and magazines.

I dont do basically anymore maintenance on my sons 250f other than oil changes & filters 

Otherwise I fix as it needs it .. just like anyone would with a 2t or a 4t and I put a smile on my face when I ride :)

Maybe next time out since you rode Scotts 350 have a go on my 250  ?????

• Like 1

I too agree with dirt pilot, bit of a fad.

One concern is are they too light. I'm concerned that they may be a little delicate. The brakes and equipment look a bit temporary. I'd be worried that they could not handle week in week out abuse. How would the frames and forks be in 18 months where most riding was on faster whooped out fire trails....... With a fat bloke sitting on top.

Not rushing this one, nothing is happening until the new year.......

Also want to see if the KTM / husaburg / husky ownership change spits out a new model or better still some new year discounts on the TE310 or 350 range.

Not interested in the 200 2t or 250 4t models..... I don't consider it worth spending the dollars as not different enough to the performance of the kdx to warrant the spend....... I'd just keep the kdx

Hoping to test ridethe sherco in November / December.

• Like 1

Depends what kind of riding you do. Dont take this to heart but a new 250 4t or 200 2t will perform a suprising amount better if not in the engine department the handling department will suprise.