How To Fix Your Bike Workshops.
6 6

59 posts in this topic

The possibility of a men's shed type scenario. Where once a month members get together to help each other out to fix members bikes especially for those of us who are wanting to learn more about self fix.

Or a different topic each time.

I.e.

how to change a tyre.

How to check your chain for wear.

Etc etc

Have a bbq and a chin wag at the same time.

• Like 3

I changed my first tyre tube yesterday and it was a beech. Got my fingers stuck 3 times, knuckles hurting, scratched the rim a little. Seeing how it's done the proper way would've been better

This would be great for me, as i would like too learn how too maintain the bike myself. :)

The possibility of a Men's shed type scenario.

But sadly, I'm not a "Man". Hehe ;)

This would be great for me, as i would like too learn how too maintain the bike myself. :)

But sadly, I'm not a "Man". Hehe ;)

I will rephrase. Blokes shed.

I need my starter rebuilt.

Then can anyone recommend somewhere for me to go to learn about basic mechanics/2 and 4 stroke basic maintenance. I'm in south east Melbourne. Is there any day courses around?

Maybe a small engine course at tafe?.

That would give you a basic understanding of what goes on inside an engine.

Once you understand how it all works its will make heaps.more sense when people start taking technical.

Sent from the phablet

• Like 1

Grab a workshop manual and your computer. You'd be suprised how easy some things can be. I'd be happy to help out with some things, but in saying that my knowledge is limited so I can only help when a certain question is asked so no good to teach a class (unless we're talking boatbuilding!)

MrNoodle is right. I had not touched a tool until a few years ago and with the help of the bike manual, forums and youtube (seriously you will be amazed at the amount of videos) I managed to do most of a top end rebuild. Remember you can always bring it in to a bike shop in defeat.

Also keep in mind that everyone has their own way of doing things and this includes bike shop mechanics, forum members, and mates so make sure you research their advice before beginning a task :)

Thanks,

I have had a bit of fun the last couple of days. I had the overflow of my carby pouring fuel every time I turned the tap on.

after a couple of questions on here and then a good couple of hours on google, I now know what a carby does, what the parts inside it do and how to disassemble, clean and reassemble.

I have just finished doing all of those things and the bike is running like a dream :)

Cheers

• Like 2

After a couple of questions on here and then a good couple of hours on google, I now know what a carby does, what the parts inside it do and how to disassemble, clean and reassemble.

I have just finished doing all of those things and the bike is running like a dream :)

Cheers

See this is what it's all about.

It would have to be at least 90% of us here on forums worldwide that learnt the way you just have. Week by week you learn a little bit more and after a few years all these little bits can make a little library of info.

Except when I was starting out 30 odd years ago there was no YouTube and interweb :( New starters have sooooo much more knowledge and resource at their keyboards these days. It's bloody awesome.

I once read on a boat forum:

'If people are smart enough to design, engineer and manufacture an engine, all it's parts, and all the factory that makes the parts-----> Then you should be able to pull apart and reassemble it with the aid of a top shelf manual.'

Just stick with learning about mechanics and before you know it you'll have it sussed.

• Like 1

Apart from all that, i still think it's a great idea, even just for a beer and a chat. Meeting other dirtriderz members with more knowledge than yourself. I'd even share my home brew :cool:

• Like 2

Apart from all that, i still think it's a great idea, even just for a beer and a chat. Meeting other dirtriderz members with more knowledge than yourself. I'd even share my home brew :cool:

Since riding I've hardly brewed a batch :( . Just no time. I've got quite a few kits waiting for me to use as well

• Like 2

Can we do a home brew workshop??? Anyone know how to gas the brew up proper? Everytime my dad does his its too much gas and all ya get is foam. If i figured that out and showed him how to do it id get a medal i recon.