Hoobz904

All New Sony Actioncam Hdr-As15 Test And Review.

Mate, it's tiny. That's one of the great things it has going for it.

Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx.24.5mm x 47.0mm x 82.0mm

Smaller than a pack of ciggies maybe? I dunno, I don't smoke. Haha

Weighs ony 177gms with a battery.

In the end, I don't care too much if it's very discreet and compact of the sound is shite. I hope it copes with wind noise well. The mic faces forward, which had me a bit worried.

I read somewhere that it had an external mic jack, but lately can't find info on that feature anymore.

Sometimes some foam over the mic can fix wind noise. We'll see I guess.

Cool, I'll wait to see how you go with it. Was interested in those liquid image goggs recently, but not totally sold on them

Cool, I'll wait to see how you go with it. Was interested in those liquid image goggs recently, but not totally sold on them

I think about those too.

But I can't use them with my motard lid.

I'd never use a Go-Brick...oops...I meant Go-Pro on the motard while goofin' off on the bitumen either, it's just too big and obvious. It's gotta be slim, sleek and ultra discreet.

Uh oh... The followers of the Go Pro cult are gunna comes and Getz me now :(

• Like 1

Here is a shot of mine !!!

HelmetCam.jpg

HelmetCam2.jpg

To keep it interesting, Bandicoot keeps last weeks footage rolling on his go pro screen and navigates using that!

Just kidding Dazza, It does give him excellent vision of me stacking!

Doesnt it impead your sight????

Nah it doesnt .. On the side view iv just sat the camera on there its usually tilted back at a 45degree angle or there abouts and dont forget that visor is tilted up a bit as well.

As I said just a fraction of the corner view on the LHS but very marginal really,

If anyone is out on a ride with me in the future try it on for yourselves to see how much it doesnt impair your vision !!!

Good find Lumpy.

I'm hoping the picture and sound is pretty good...mainly because I don't wanna look like a real ass for starting this thread if it's crap :)

Ahh well, someone has to be the guinea pig.

That's an excellent little vid that guy has made. I gotta say it looks Ike a very sweet deal. It's tiny, and it come with a shed load of stuff.

It has got an external mic jack. Yes yes yes. It looks brilliant.

If the picture and sound is great you've gotta say there could be a lot of Pov1's, Go-Pros and Contours getting chucked in the bin or given away to friends and hand me downs. Haha

Found a side by side comparison of the Sony vs GoPro or as Hoobz's says "Go-Brick"

Thought this has brought some things to the surface for myself, I was specially interested in the wind noise & sensitivity of the mics.

I was happy with what I have seen in the vid .. Was looking at another Go-Brick but I think I might look at the Sony this time.

Hurry up Hoobz's and give me the real opinion of the cam !!!!! :)

http://youtu.be/dR0jD56xHsQ

Not so much regretting the buy but not looking forward to asking the wife if i can get a new camera....

Is a good video. Got distracted by his hands early on though. haha

Looking forward to seeing the videos it puts out!

• Like 1

Geez, looking at the tests the two fellas did I thought the Go-Pro had the better picture to begin with.

The only time I thought one stood out from the other was during the low light test when the Sony was much better, that could come in handy for riding sometimes I suppose.

Shouldn't they have compared the front-on dimension? They say they are similar sized but totally different layout, seeing one faces sideways and is much more stream lined.

It would be good to see how an external mic works for both too, out of the wind.

I'm thinking of fixing an external mic to the inside of the back of my helmet...so you can hear me think "Oh shit, we are about to crash!!!". Haha. No, I want to put the mic inside the back of the helmet to stop wind noise and maybe hear some narration ocassionally.

Be fun to play with maybe.

Ya's are pretty safe with the Go-Pros. I'm just stirring ya's up a bit. Not getting many bites though.

I'm not biting cos I am comfortable in the fact that my GoPro is the most used Camera around. :P

Look at any mx vid or car racing vid and there is a good chance you will see one.

But that could be just because they are super strong :)

I dont get why you need an external mic though.

My internal one seems fine. You can hear talking and laughing easy. Wind noise isnt an issue unless you are doing stupid speeds on fire trails :)

• Like 1

hey we all bat for different teams.......yours just isnt GoPro.....Thats cool what ever floats ya boat!!

Iam extremely happy with me GoPro. Been watching a few vids lately of people just using em to fil adventures overseas and stuff so looking forward to doing a bit of that sorta stuff with it. Got a holiday in december where we will be snorkelling and all sorts in Thailand......then got falls festival over new years so that could be cool to make a video of that adeventure!!

still very interested to see how good these sony cams are!

• Like 1

Hey!

I gots me Sony Action Cam today.

First impressions. It'll definitely be wise to use the included waterproof case.

The hatch on the back seems to open too easily and the cam in general is very light, which you can read as it might be a bit delicate, the case encloses the cam and holds it all snugly together. To stop from direct hits of roost on the cam lens you need to use the case too.

I bought a Go Pro helmet mount. The Sony has a handy adaptor in the kit that means you can use any Go Pro mount. Suck that Go Pro. Haha.

We have been playing with the IPad Sony action cam app. It's very easy to use and a bit of fun.

It's just a bit typical of my life, but as soon as the cam turns up BOTH OF MY BIKES HAVE MAJOR COMPONENTS MISSING!!!

So I can't even whip it around on the motard tonight. Which is probably just as well even though it could have been entertaining viewing, some would get upset ;)

I should get the SX head back on Wednesday. Maybe I'll go for a quick after work blat down Anglesea to try it out for ya's.

Geoffyboi,

I only wanted the external mic option so I could tweak the sound. There are more situations than fire trails where wind noise is a problem. High speed sand riding/blasting, motard racing, MX, grass tracks etc etc. they all get up there in the fast zone real quick and that's when smokers sound best.

There's been many many times where the most spectacular fast footage was ruined with bad wind noise. That always really really sucked and ruined it.

It might not need the ext mic, but it's nice to know it is there to play with.

Not until the Sony has copped some hits can I comment on it's durability and ability to keep recording when it gets rough.

Oh, a quick survey.

Where do you prefer the cam to be positioned? (I'm probably gong for the right hand side of my helmet at this stage).

What sort of terrain do ya's want? A mix of Anglea's best?

I'm not putting music over the bike sounds. No way. So I'm not even going to ask that one.

Whys the sx head off

I just sent it to Dave at Two Stroke Performance for a bit of squish and compression adjustment.

After extensive jetting, squish band and compression testing we have come to the conclusion it was always going to ping on the odd occasion, and I wasn't willing to have to use race fuel.

It has exceeded my every expectation and blown the socks off any test rider. Husaberg 570...pftpfptpftpft. No chance.

I'll update the build thread after the weekend.

• Like 1

How's the Sony app? Is it real time? Apparently with the GoPro app there's a fair delay.

Keep in mind i havent seen the Go Pro WiFi at all, but I reckon the Sony Action Cam Wifi and app is fairly good.

Yes, it's close enough to real time, but yes, there is about a 0.2 second delay. I was playing with it last night.

The wifi connection range is limited to about 10 meters, with it cutting in and out a little bit until your are within 3 meters. We tested it out at work.

You can change the vid and still shot settings through an iPad our iPhone.

I fixed the Go Pro helcam attachment and the Sony cam on my helmet last night, and using the live app on the iPad screen in front of me, played with all the settings like lens angle, frame rate including slow mode and super slow mo, resolution, still shot timer, record start and stop. Then copy all what you recorded onto your iPad or phone. Because you are looking at the cam image on the screen of an iPad is it is ridiculously easy to set the cam up at the right angle position on your helmet while you are wearing it. Picking the right lens angle is really easy too because you can change from one to the other in a second to compare and choose what you think looks best for that scene.

The wifi feature is better than I thought it would be. I wasn't interested in getting this version but since it was the only one available due to the bundle offer I ended up with it and am glad I did now.

But in the end, the most important feature of the cam will be how it records the action.

• Like 1

I'll start off by saying a massive "F YOU!" to YouTube. Bloody hell, it's still damn hard to tweak all the setttings to get it to look any good.

I'm still trying to fly Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum as well. It's like trying to fly a 747 compared to a Cessna like AVS4YOU.

My subscription to AVS4YOU ran out so I better learn Vegas.

Anyway, after about four rendering sessions of a total of 6 hours and about four attempts over 3 hours at uploading to YouTube, with a couple of total failures... here is a crap test sample vid using the Sony.

I know I'm gunna get ragged about the footage, especially between 1.00 and 1.45, but seriously, it doesn't look like that at all on my laptop.

I'm gunna keep playing with the formatting and other settings a bit more until I get great results.

This is just something to look at in the mean time. It's shit. But at least you get an idea about the sound. Damn jumpy YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeAn3Ts0QmU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wasnt the best was it !!

Seemed weird to me like close up was clear and distance was notchy & a bit blurry ???

Just something isnt right .. took me awhile to get the export settings right in my editing program.

Now its looking good thou !!! :)