Hoobz904

All New Sony Actioncam Hdr-As15 Test And Review.

My ever trusty VIO Pov1 helcam is playing up, so I'm grabbing a new cam. The VIO Pov1 system is still the top line system but I want to try the new Sony now.

Hopefully, if the store gets their shipment tomorrow, I will be testing out the all new Sony Helcam on the weekend.

1556f49b00b17ab3c2ff97b5b453b5c5.jpg

6e2995f7cfc4175a369e47c357962911.jpg

It's been long awaited, and by all reports is a ripper.

Some features and info from the Camzilla website (http://www.camzilla.com.au/products_info/action-cameras~sony-actioncam-accessories__sony-actioncam-hdr-as15):

The new Sony ActionCam has plenty of unique features that may shake up the action camera market, and it offers a level of image quality not often seen at this price. These features include:

* Standard built-in WiFi with a free App to stream video to any smartphone or tablet. It can monitor live video, send recorded files and allow full remote control over most camera functions from any iOS or Android device. And the App - Sony PlayMemories - is available now.

* The 16MP Exmor R sensor is bigger than anything else in this market. Combined with the Carl Zeiss lens, it results in very detailed resolution and great low-light capability.

* Ability to record 120 frames-per-second in 720P mode - that's the first time super slow motion has been available in HD mode on any action camera!

* Sony's renowned SteadyShot image stabilisation with unique Active Mode, meaning no more camera shake.

And for the Australian market, Sony are packaging an exclusive Australian version which is NOT available in the USA. This kit includes components that are optional elsewhere.

Our exclusive bundle includes:

* 60 metre underwater housing

* 2 batteries and a separate battery charger

* 4GB MicroSD card, which is good for about 35 minutes of video. (It can accept up to 32GB cards and can also record to Sony MemoryStick Micro)

* 2 adhesive mounts with a quick release buckle

* MicroUSB cable

* Plus a special bonus. This package will also include an adapter to allow the Sony to fit ALL GoPro mounts! That means GoPro owners who purchase the Sony will not need to buy another set of mounts and mounting accessories - the Sony will work with everything you already have.

Other Sony accessories will be available soon after launch, including a bike mount, goggle mount and a flat-lens dive housing. We'll add these as they become available. But as the Sony has a universal 1/4" thread in the housing base, it will already fit all other mounts on the market.

We're excited about this new camera and expect it to be very popular. Initial stocks will be limited so we recommend you pre-order now to avoid missing out.

It sounds brilliant.

My biggest hope is that it records all the best dirt biking sounds really well.

One way to find out.

Stay tuned, I'll keep ya's posted and whack up a new Hoobz904 YouTube clip within a few days of getting my mitts on the cam.

In the mean time I've downloaded the Sony Play Memories app to this ipad and am off to go check it out.

Saw them in the paper earlier this week - them entering the market should shake things up a bit!

If you want to purchase one online check "shopbot" first for best available price. Shopbot is a site that only locates a best price, it provides honest feedback and is the site to hit when you want to price anything electrical. Most camera stores are a total rip, so leave them alone and save your coin.

I heard and read about them about a year ago I think, must have been when Sony announced they were making something.

I went out last Sunday with my Pov1 and went and did a few quicker runs, took my time setting it up right, took some risks on a new bike to get some good footage...

...got back to the car and DAMN. The cam had locked up. I did all that nangin' around for naught, no footage stored.

I'm never trusting it again. But...the off side was that I got excited about buying a new cam and here we are.

If you want to purchase one online check "shopbot" first for best available price. Shopbot is a site that only locates a best price, it provides honest feedback and is the site to hit when you want to price anything electrical. Most camera stores are a total rip, so leave them alone and save your coin.

Thanks for the info and advice Lance, but once you get to know me you'll find out I have zero patience for some things. This is one of them, I'm getting it at the local cam shop. $399.

Feel free to hunt around for a better price for sure please, and definitely whack your findings up in here for the benefit of everyone. I'm interested in what you come up with.

The salesman and I are both hitting the trails with them on the weekend to test them out. I'm going to put some effort into the YouTube clip to make it the best watch possible and share it with the cam shop. They are setting up their shop front window with all promotional stuff and displays for this cam.

Maybe it will help them sell a few. That's if it's any good and if they turn up tomorrow morning. They were meant to be in today, if not tomorrow...Monday...if not Monday it will be Tuesday...and on and on and on. Lol

I run a GoPro Hero 2 (like ten million others), and know why they are such a popular unit. They are tough, they run an f2.8 lens, capture stills, slow-mo and do it all very well. The Sony looks very good, but I've seen no reports on the mounting system yet.

I run a GoPro Hero 2 (like ten million others), and know why they are such a popular unit. They are tough, they run an f2.8 lens, capture stills, slow-mo and do it all very well. The Sony looks very good, but I've seen no reports on the mounting system yet.

The Go-Pro is popular, but no one I personally know uses one. They either have the bullet type designed Contours, Drifts or VIO Pov1's. No one takes a Go Pro where we often go, because they are just too bulky to use in jungle. I've never seen one out there. I guarantee it will get snagged often if you aren't constantly trying to stop it from catching on stuff, especially if it's anywhere near your helmet. On your chest would be ok though. I don't like bike mounted footage as much as helcam too.

Come on a ride with us and you're lucky to not get 'yourself' clothes-lined off your bike. Haha.

It's quite possible that my Sony might get ripped off the helmet, but I'm still keen to try one.

By far the helmet hugging VIO Pov 1 with the Nuke Proof mount is the most tough and robust unit, but it has the cable tether going to your back pack unit, and that can be tiring to deal with. And that tether can get snagged as I have experienced but never caused any issue at all. You can route the extra heavy duty cable very neatly out of harms way.

The old VIO Pov1.

Helmet.jpg

Very discreet.

3292fca2210c3dd3f849e6509777ab30.jpg

I was tossing up over the Contour, a new VIO Pov1 HD or this Sony. I guess someone has to be the guinea pig so I went the Sony.

Just checked Shopbot... $258 was the lowest price for the Sony action cam.

Just gotta make sure the one you are looking at is the bundle, with 2 batteries etc.

I couldn't find a $258 bundle pack.

That site is a ripper. Gunna bookmark that one. Thanks.

You know me personaly...

I run a gopro and have it mounted on the side of my lid.

Never had it ripped off but have had braches stuck between it and the lid after riding in some really really overgrown roads..lol.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Bandicoot runs a GoPro mounted under his visor! I think he cant see the road and just uses the view finder!

It looks kinda big, need something next to it in comparison

Bandicoot runs a GoPro mounted under his visor! I think he cant see the road and just uses the view finder!

It looks kinda big, need something next to it in comparison

It also acts as a targeting system ... :P

I find that the best way to ride "No Fear" cant be scared of what you will hit if your eyes are shut and you cant see it !! :)

I dont loose any vision from it maybe a fraction out the corner of your eye but thats all !!

Im use to it now and I dont even see it there and no extra weight that I feel.

Haha.

Yep, I agree, I couldn't do it. I've gotta have a full as possible field of vision.

The delivery of Sony ActionCams didn't turn up today.

DAMN. I'm impatient over toys.

Monday. Hopefully.

This could turn into another thread like my bike coming. Took three months. Haha

• Like 2

Bloody hell man,move that would ya! that is to dangerous. silly possi if you ask me

Why ??? I dont see how it would ... Maybe point out something Im not seeing ????

I dont do the mounting nut up tight so if at anytime it gets a big enough hit it folds up into the visor or the visor flexes.

Its done so when I bounced off the ground when I done my collarbone and on other occasions as well

Why ??? I dont see how it would ... Maybe point out something Im not seeing ????

I dont do the mounting nut up tight so if at anytime it gets a big enough hit it folds up into the visor or the visor flexes.

Its done so when I bounced off the ground when I done my collarbone and on other occasions as well

Doesnt it impead your sight????

What are the ddimensions on your new camera Hoobz? It seems large but prob needs like a lighter next to it to get a comparison?

What are the ddimensions on your new camera Hoobz? It seems large but prob needs like a lighter next to it to get a comparison?

Mate, it's tiny. That's one of the great things it has going for it.

Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx.24.5mm x 47.0mm x 82.0mm

Smaller than a pack of ciggies maybe? I dunno, I don't smoke. Haha

Weighs ony 177gms with a battery.

In the end, I don't care too much if it's very discreet and compact if the image and sound is shite. I hope it copes with wind noise well. The mic faces forward, which had me a bit worried.

I read somewhere that it had an external mic jack, but lately can't find info on that feature anymore.

Sometimes some foam over the mic can fix wind noise. We'll see I guess.

The sound has to be great. Fingers crossed. If it's not decent I'm getting my mitts on a separate audio recorder and pasting the audio over the top of the footage in Sony Vegas editing suite. I hope I don't have to go that far, but the sound has to be sweet.