giving up the smokes
10 10

115 posts in this topic

marshy    11

who's given up the smokes and how did you do it, got a script for champix but am a bit hesitent just from what some people have told me

Geoffro    4,683

Did it cold turkey mate! but still miss em, love the smell of second hand smoke too!

Good Luck!!

I've tried many times and failed! Longest period was 8 weeks and that was with champix.

Your only aloud to use them once a year so i'm going to give them another go soon.

A friend is on them at the moment and she is looking pretty drained and spaced out, but I figure Im not going to be able to do it any other way so 12 weeks of feeling ill and spaced out doesnt seem to bad of a deal!

slowpoke    68

I was smoking a pack a day PJ's Virginia,woke up one morning and said that's it.Didn't have any motivation,just didn't want to smoke anymore.Never looked back.Friends of mine a on the carousel,just keep going round and round.I think it is because they get all this pressure to quit,ads on tv and in the paper,and all the smoking laws,but at the end of the day,they still just enjoy a smoke.It's easier if you have a reason.

missmudd    74

i have heard mixed things about champix. mostly heard about the nausea and funky dreams. Best thing to do is have them on a FULL stomach, stops the nausea. Drink heaps of water and eat lots of healthy food and then they dont cause much side effects!!!!!

• Like 1

Krackerman    12

I love smoking durries. But, they contribute to physical ailments that wouldn't be there if you didn't smoke. That's a fact, we all know that.

I quit cold turkey and have done twice before. I've smoked for around 18 years I guess. I've been off 'em now for around a month or so and feel good. I still want to smoke, but I choose not to. Hopefully I remain in this situation.

I love waking up in the morning without a heavy chest. I love not feeling paranoid about stinking from durries. I love the extra hour I've got in my day now from not always taking time out to feed my durrie habit. I love that my kids aren't looking at me strangely anymore thinking, "What the heaven is my Dad doing with that thing. He's not a dragon!" (My kids are young)

Best of all........ I love the $70 a week that I put into my "bike account" instead of buying smokes.

If I knew the world was going to end soon, I'd be straight back on the durries. They're extremely addictive but the benefits of smoking totally outweigh the consequences.

• Like 1

Paul B    326

I was smoking a pack a day for 13-14 years I quite cold turkey 18 months ago. It wasn't easy. You have to be determined not to have another smoke. I found the 4 to 6 week mark to be the hardest.

Battered Sav    15

I smoked flat out from the time I was 15 until I was 35.

I hated smoking and wanted to give it up for a long time - bad habits are hard to break.

The Mrs and I set a date to stop, well in advance so we we could mentally prepare.

You have to recognise your triggers, after eating, getting in the car etc and come up with alternatives.

I also firmly believed that from that day forward I was a "non-smoker" and just one puff would once again make me a "smoker".

I'll admit there have been times when I would have loved a durrie, but those times pass.

As the esteemed Krackerman said, the consequences totally outweigh the benefits (I know that's what you meant).

• Like 1

Krackerman    12
I smoked flat out from the time I was 15 until I was 35.

I hated smoking and wanted to give it up for a long time - bad habits are hard to break.

The Mrs and I set a date to stop, well in advance so we we could mentally prepare.

You have to recognise your triggers, after eating, getting in the car etc and come up with alternatives.

I also firmly believed that from that day forward I was a "non-smoker" and just one puff would once again make me a "smoker".

I'll admit there have been times when I would have loved a durrie, but those times pass.

As the esteemed Krackerman said, the consequences totally outweigh the benefits (I know that's what you meant).

Good work Sav on the quitting technique.

I mixed up my words. Thanks for sorting that out. I think I'm still hungover.

One thing I have found is I'm drinking a bit more now I'm not durrying.

marshy    11

tried a few times cold turkey but seem to always go back to em, the dream thing is what was worrying me about the champex but decided that as of monday i'm going to fill the script and give it a go

brentice    11

I used to smoke 30 ciggies a day then i decided that i would get all healthy and listen to my consiouncse and give up. I havent had a smoke now for 3-4 months and i am feeling alot better for it.

Im not sweating as much when i ride, i am riding faster, i am fitter and i dont have trouble walking up stairs with a 25kg toolbag like i used to. If you can give up then it is worth it old mate but ill give you the tip, its best to pencil some time away from work as the first 4 weeks are ****** in the bum.

Ohh and im awesome

Edited by brentice_is_awesome2008

honey    11

partners on champix he gets realli bad vomitin and bowels but in the end its 3 months of sufferin compared to god knows how long of sufferin from the smokes havin a reason i found helped him as soon as our daughter came along he quit

• Like 1

Mary    17
best thing about always being a non smoker is i never had to worry about quitting.

Hey Chubs, you were lucky that I don't smoke anymore, I can see it now me smoking my head off you hanging your head out of the van driving around Tassie.

I used patches around 7 years ago & never looked back.......I now hate second hand smoke it really stinks.

Aurora Blaze    16

I was out riding last weekend with a group of riders, after getting up a snotty slippery hill I had the pleasure of watching the others battle up.

One guy had to have a few cracks at it, he finally made it, ripped his helmet off gasping for air and lit up a cigarette! all I could think of was WOW how sad!!

It was a long time ago that I gave up the smokes on the first ever public no smoke day when a pack of Winfield red was $1.43.

At the time it was a 100 year old lady who inspired me, she said her husband used to smoke rollies and was a chain smoker, lollies and chewing gum didnt cut the mustard, just wasnt the same as inhaling smoke so he took his tin of tobbaco around in his pocket and every time he had the urge to smoke he would take it out, open it up and take a big sniff of that tobbaco, he did this for 2 weeks before throwing it away.

I did the same with my Winies and kicked the habit, alot was to do with will power but come on who is in control here!!

You have to really want to give up and if you do try it what have you got to lose?

JCat    16

Congrats to you guys giving it a real crack.

3 work collegues gave champix a go, 1 did it cold turkey......only 1 is still a non smoker, you guessed it, cold turkey.

I quit cold turkey(smokes and choof) 13-14 years ago, but i hated smoking, hated the taste and smell. But loved the choof, lol.

My key was a total change of lifestyle.

From no physical activity, i wanted to participate in Triathlons ect.

Its all history now, heaps of triathlons, 1/2 and full marathons, open water races.

Goes to show anyone can turn from a sloth to an endurance athlete.

Knos    104

Im at the 7 week mark now and im loving it.. as mentioned feel heaps better off em and riding better..

Breaking the habits before you quit was the key for me and will power, also mentioned wanting one bad after 4 weeks was right but i passed ha ha

i consider it the best thing ive done to date.. till i get an AFX :)

Scrambler    10

I can't imagine what it is like to give up the smokes as I've never smoked. But good on you for quitting. My only insight to addiction woiuld be going cold turkey from a caffeine addiction. I used to have twelve or more cups of black coffee, you know the percolated stuff. I had the coffee machine timer to start percolating at 5.00am so that when I got up I would have a cup or two before breaky. It was hard to give up and even now I love the smell of a good coffee shop. I can still enjoy a cup of coffee on the occassion but I will never allow it ti get as bad it was before.

crfadam    277

ohhh dude dont take champex...my mate took them and he went mood as all hell he even was talking about selling his moto cause he was that moodie.

motorman    15

I had the champix and was off them for nearly 2 years. Yeah the spun me out but it was worth it.

Problem is, once a smoker always a smoker is very true. Only took 1 lapse out on the juice with 1 puff and every weekend it slightly got worse and worse until I ended up with a pack. You really have to not slip up no matter what the time frame. Doesn't take much to get back on them.

I will give the champix another crack as they were effective even with the side effects. This time there will be no slip ups though.

rat    11

mate im 5 years off the ciggys and the other now..went cold turkey and have never looked back..think of it this way..

i smoked 2 packs a week = (back then @ $12 a pack)= $24 a week

$24 x 52 weeks in a year = $1248

$1248 x 5.5 years now = $6864

$6864......

ok ,,,now im no angel and used to mix half those ciggys with bob marleys best friend, and well lets just say that by give up smoking i have my berg570 and all its addons for free..plus my lungs, taste,time managment at work etc etc have all benafitted from it also..sure ive put on 20kg's (i have an appetite back) but im working on that now..

in a nutshell.. tabacco is the worst drug..

go for it. you can do it. i can sit around people smoking now and dont get any desires to partake..in time it just gets easier..if i do get a nigling feeling to have a puff i just think of my daughter..

just my 2cents