Thanks Cluffie,

He'll find the above very helpful. Think he's joining the site soon so I'm sure he'll have more questions to ask when he gets on.

Thanks again!

also maintain the starter motor,there an after thought idea and pack it tn after a while if u dont maintain them.

they are to be ridden , & if ridden into the ground they will be in front all day as all of my mates that has them, awesume machines & if looked after very reliable

overated, no one on here can ride them too there full potential, better off wringin a xr 250 and be faster.

Bloody good fun trying though Jonesy :-) and looking from the over side not every one wants to ride some thing that is nice and easy either :-)

• Like 1

overated, no one on here can ride them too there full potential, better off wringin a xr 250 and be faster.
Do you hate on everything that isnt a drz?I just put mine on ebay and am buying an xr250 because i will be faster and automatically enjoy it more

What do you guys have to say about the bike ie: setup, maintenance, pro's/con's etc.

Setup, I'd say is relative to the rider for any bike, get it setup properly for oneself and enjoy. Some people love PDS, some people hate it, I can't tell a whole lot of difference and I'm usually comparing my 300EXC against other peoples setups which are not suited 100% to myself. Whenever I get on someone elses bike all I want to do is lower the pegs, add stegpegz, roll the bars forward and add some 20-30mm bar raisers.

Maintenance, I like the wet-mod for the e-starter (google Slavens KTM 300 Mule), although I found you need an overflow bottle otherwise the oil just bubbles out of the breather when the bike is hot. Change the starter oil every 50hrs or so by loosening the ignition cover and just letting it all run out, etc. Also I modified the e-starter protective cover so I could remove it for cleaning via only the central bolt (you'll see) and not to loose "wet-mod oil" when doing so.

I dislike standard KTM switches ADR & start/stop switches, they require pedantic maintenance to retain function after every ride and aren't waterproof. Both my KTM's have had problems with switches, and tossing the standard buttons for $30 non-genuine ones of ebay won't stop your bike in it's tracks in the rain (as mine did with a shorted out kill switch). Some people boast about "not having any problems" with their standard switches, but from my observations, they don't have enough hours on their bike to know any better (less than 100hrs), so go figure.

Do not use "All Balls" wheel bearings, they're only good for about 25hrs, the genuine ones are good for about 110hrs in my experience.

As for jetting, I currently have mine jetted 2 temp ranges higher than manual specs and have a nice colour on the plug, also running 50:1 fully synth 2t oil have never had any excess oil dripping out of the exhaust, whereas I did with 40:1 (I left manual settings for the first 10hrs or so, while running in). I've also stuck with the stock plug despite people saying they're too hot for Australia, and never touched the gap (I think it's supposed to be 0.6mm) ... I'm no expert but I've never fouled a plug so I'll keep doing what I'm doing :)

I do the gear oil approx every 8-12hrs.

Extend and re-route the gearbox breather to a better place to avoid getting water in the oil, water gets in there easily with the stock breather (unless they've fixed this for 2013).

I think I've covered it all...

That's the dumbest shit I ever ... read :D