Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I live in WA and ride mainly hardpack terrain/gravel, occassionally with some soft sand. My favourite terrain is sand dunes and beach riding, so im looking for a bike to deal with all that...

My background is riding 2 strokes, so i like the feel of the two stroke powerband and being slightly out of control, but also need something torquey for the sand. I'm considering a KTM 300 or 250 exc.... OR (big step for me), going with a fourstroke 450, maybe a CRF 450X..

Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated ;) also if anyone knows which years of these bikes were the best etc..?

Cheers.

ktm 250/300 would be a great bike,2009 and on had better suspension with 2011 on going to a 6 speed box.

for sand i would recommend a 4 t though. a wr450 for supreme reliability or a crf450 x would be a great choice and both have been unchanged for many years,as they're a sorted package. just get a well maintained one with as least work as possible,year doesn't really matter on these 2.even a 2009 on klx450 at a ripper price would do the job but are a little less performance orientated,but still a easy to live with,excellent trailbike.

Cheers cluffie,

Yeh a mate of mine has a 2000 rmx250 and its a beast on sand so i thought a 300 might do the job.. So 450 4T is the best option for sand because of the torque right?

Has anyone ridden the two stroke EXCs in sand?

I've got a 300EXC and have done lots of riding in WA around Lancelin, Wanaroo, Collie, Margret River, including a 3 day ride with West Coast Safari's (Kirup) & a 2 day ride with the Paunchy Pipeline Pigs (Kalgoorlie). Will climb any sand dune with a knobby, riding in the dunes you pretty much have to be on the pipe the whole time to keep the front wheel out of the sand, not sure how a 4t would like this.

There's a bunch of people who I've ridden with around Wanaroo and Lancelin who have mostly 2t's (125's, 200's, 250's, 300's, 500's) ... and a couple with 4t's ...(250F's, 450F's). I did ride a CR500 around a spot just south of Myalup with a knobby, and it ate any dune I pointed it at far better than my 300. My girlfriend has a 200EXC and there's not much stopping her either.

No complaints about the 300EXC, good bike for everything, plenty of torque for technical riding before it gets on the pipe too.

If I got another it'd be a 2011+ with the 6 speed box as I think the gap between 2nd & 3rd is too much on the 2010. The 2012's have an upgraded bendix gear in the E-starter which is backwardly compatible with the earlier e-start models. I've done the wet mod to the e-starter from day dot (currently 160hrs) and the starter gears have been kept well lubed, only now one of the brushes in the starter motor has broken so I'm in the process of fixing this (new brush kit is $35). Also, beware of the standard start/stop switches as they have a tendency to short out in the rain or after a creek crossing and stop you in your tracks (or lose the button start), suggest replacing them with the single button type ones.

kill%20switch2.jpg

A mate of mine has had many 2t 250's and 300's and mainly does sand riding, and recently upgraded husaberg 450, but thought it was a pig in the sand (and woops) so he bought a 250SX specifically for sand riding while keeping the berg for the bush tracks.

for sand i would recommend a 4 t though. a wr450 for supreme reliability

Curious, how do you mean a WR450 to be supremely reliable in the sand as oppose to a 250/300EXC?

• Like 2

Also, beware of the standard start/stop switches as they have a tendency to short out in the rain or after a creek crossing and stop you in your tracks (or lose the button start), suggest replacing them with the single button type ones.

Amen to that brother.

The OEM Kato switch locks have caused many countless thousands of serious headaches.

99% of Kato electrical problems are usually switch block issues.

I actually still have them. But service them regularly and can do it with my eyes shut now. I still recommend something else though.

Thanks for your input everyone, yeh i had heard about the switch problems on kato's.

Sounds like the 300exc is a good option as i'm a bit of a die-hard two stroker...

One more question: does anyone know the differences in power delivery between the 250 and 300 exc? I noticed the only difference on the specs sheet is the bore size. which im assuming might give it some more bottom end?

Cheers

Mate go the 300, put an SX head on it. While the 4T's are boiling their guts out in the soft sand you'll be roosting past them.

I've done more sand riding than any other and have nothing but praise for the 300. Their probably one of the most versatile bikes on the market.

If you like to ride a little harder then go for the 250. They prefer to be ridden a little more on pipe. The 300 being that bit more torquey is happy being lugged.

Your able to tune to your conditions. From 08 on they came with a twin map CDI and three power valve springs. These really make a difference to how the power is delivered and how adaptable the bike is.

It's not uncommon in SA to notch up 300+ km rides on a weekend. A well jetted bike will handled all the transport and off road sections on about 10km/lt.

:)

While they come with a 1.8mm outer PV spring and red/yellow/green inner spings.

There are also 1.9mm and 2.0mm outer springs and blue & white inners available, KTM sell a tool to adjust the preload spring but it's easy enough to make your own out of a bit of steel rod.

The Blue is between Red & Yellow, and the White is between Yellow & Green.

Combine that with a map switch and you pretty much have endless tuneability.

I found I liked the 1.8mm outer spring, blue inner and preload screw set 1/4-1/2 turn in from flush.

I also tried removing the inner spring all together with the 1.8mm outer, which allowed the PV to open as easily as possible, this was great in the sandy tracks but no so good in the slippery stuff.

Add that to all the jetting combos as well as gearing options and you'll find there's nothing they can't handle.

I think you're answering your question on your own Sandman.

If you have a tendency to lean towards a two stroker...get one of those.

On the other hand ride a few different bikes if you can.

Don't let the 2T crew talk you out of a 4T. Plenty have won Finke...Hattah...Paris Dakar... And last time I checked they had some sand on the course too. Lol.

I have a 530. And the only time it's anywhere near underperformed in sand was when I had a chux over the air filter and it ran rough up top.

But, I would be happy on a properly sorted nanga-a-nang too. Although I have never enjoyed long roads on a 2T. I'd never pick one to tour around the countryside on ever.

Def keep away from any small bore bikes if you're gong to hit lotsa sand.

Cheers everyone for the advice.

Looks like i may have to take the 250 and 300 for a ride to decide for myself. will be a while before i'm looking at buying so in the meantime i'll continue researching...

Love my 300. Have the 2011 with 6 speed. Its done everything for me that I wanted in the last 15 months clocking up 3600k's. From long sandy desert runs, to tight single and gnarly hill climbs. Its a great all round bike. Plenty of power.

Haven't ridden a big bore 4t in the desert, but I'd like to.

If your a two stroke man, get a 250 or 300 2t.

Ultimately the bigger the engine size the better it will cope in long high speed stuff as if won't need to work as hard.

Typical the threads titled KTM 300 Exc and along comes a 4T rider peddling their wares... lol

two strokes too many me thinks...

;)

• Like 1

Typical the threads titled KTM 300 Exc and along comes a 4T rider peddling their wares... lol

two strokes too many me thinks...

Aww Daverrrtt.I be only mentioning that stuff because he was tossing up about a 4T.If I were he I'd probably go the 300, cos he seems to have a penchant for them. But like everyone should, get a ride on a few different bikes before buying.

mate, i love my 300, and wldnt swap it for the world - except in sand. i had a 450ktm exc pre the berg, and i found it much better in the sand. the raw torque and grunt was much, much better for pulling. the sand is the only surface i wld prefer a 4 stroke in, and i'd prefer one by a long way. do your best to try one one of each in the sand?

Cheers Berg300, yeh i was considering something around 08 in the 450exc as an alternative to the two smokers.. Any particular years that the 450 exc was better? The main reason for going 08 or older is my budget.

After following threads on DBW, the oval bored carb and porting work sounds the way to go for the KTM 2t, definitely consider before other power mods, pipes, etc.

http://www.rmfracing....au/contact.asp

top end,waste of time.i don't know to many that can ride a 300 on the pipe allday,can you? unlikely.

standard is fine,just jet correctly and enjoy.

Cheers Berg300, yeh i was considering something around 08 in the 450exc as an alternative to the two smokers.. Any particular years that the 450 exc was better? The main reason for going 08 or older is my budget.

09 has heaps better suspension,it's worth the extra.

09 has heaps better suspension,it's worth the extra.

how do you figure that when the suspension upgrade only included a little small mod in the forks?

The 08 is nealry identical just the ring wear issues weren't sorted then. my 08 has prox piston on a second set of rings and working well. prox rings up to 75 hours now and tight. only issues is the leak btw the gear box and motor oil. mine had the mod done twice

top end,waste of time.i don't know to many that can ride a 300 on the pipe allday,can you? unlikely.

standard is fine,just jet correctly and enjoy.

Don't think you're on my tangent.

Any particular years that the 450 exc was better? The main reason for going 08 or older is my budget.

The 2010 model has a slightly different frame, welded a few mm lower at the headstem which allowed them to rotate the engine forward a tad to improve handling and lower the center of gravity. The 2010 also came with lighter rims than 09, and a slightly different airbox - said to give better spread of dust over the filter and help keep water off it.

Hi all,

A mate of mine is soon to return to trail riding, and has put down a deposit on a 2013 KTM 300, to which he will pick-up in 1.5 months. What do you guys have to say about the bike ie: setup, maintenance, pro's/con's etc. I ask, because I want a "real world" answer, not a promo from a paid tosser.

Any info would be appreciated

great bike.i was out on mine today for 5 1/2 hrs in the mud and drizzle.(crap google weather).

he'll love it but it will take a fair bit of time for him to get used to it unless his ridden a fast 2t before.

scrap the standard tyres and trash them in summer,fit barkies,bashplate,pipe guard,rad guards,heavy tubes and your set.

air filter is low so stay away from deep bogholes or you could stuff the motor.

air cleaner maintainance,good 2t oil at 50-55:1,gear oil as book.(i use moterex)

standard jetting is to rich so get shop to rejet.

piston,little end and rings every 50-70 hrs.($240 for whole kit)

green power valve spring is smoother and is better to start with.

Seriously, he's bought one of the best weapons out there. Very versatile indeed. Tonnes and tonnes of aftermarket stuff around too. Tonnes and tonnes of very good advice on setting them up too, just like you got above :)

He'll have a top time on it for sure.

If they are like the 2011. Great bike and hell love it. I do top and bottom end at 80 hrs. But thats me being pedantic and as per book.