8 8
Nic103

Tips Of The Trade For Newbies

Take a jerry can on rides if you ride a 250F

Allways remember spare clean Socks and Jocks

Mulitgrips can be used for broken levers

Ive found that every ride i do i take more tools with me, Ya seem to learn as you go or else ya wont do a whole lot of riding.

Latest addition to my kit will be hose clamps :)

Oh yeah. I learnt this one at Stockmans. Take your old engine oil camping. Pour it on the fire when the drunks are getting dangerously close. It makes them step back in a hurry. :wacko:

I remember this, yes it gets your attention.

A few things come to mind that you should take, not in order of importance.

1a. Have a GPS app on your phone and mark where your car is (encase you ever get lost, it's easier than you think!).

1b. I also put my phone on flight mode to save battery and the GPS still works. In the bush your battery will die quicker as signal strength is low so your phone ups its transmitter power

2. A $2 rain coat or plastic bag that fits over you

3. A fire lighter (as per MrNoodle) or a lighter

4. A water bladder (at leased 2 litres), this to drink on the ride .... not wash your hands after a No 2

5. Mates (never ride alone)

6. A first aid kit (hopefully will carry this for nothing ... for ever...)

7. A good attitude

8. Know your bike (do as much maintenance as you can your self, it helps when you need to know where things are and how they work

9. A few meters of rope

10. A small bike pump

11. A basic tool kit (allan key set, small vice grips, screw drivers, cable ties, duct tape ........)

You can always ride on a flat tyre but other things can stop you getting home.

• Like 6

My tip is.

If you are going on a ride that plans to stop at the pub for lunch.................

Take something to eat as well as your wallet in case you don't ,make it........

lmfao is that the flowerdale pub lol

• Like 1

most already have this covered with putting the goggles rag on the handlebars. I have my rag on the inside of my sleeve. easy to get to, plus helps with some extra wrist padding. stays dry and clean too. 

I agree with Kbuxx. GPS on your phone. most apps on the phone you can pre download the maps. so you can plan and download them the night before so you can turn your phone in flight mode and they still track. I used motionx for iPhone and Gaila for my iphone. Both work great and have pretty good maps for tracks.

oh and who can forget lollies and bananas in your backpack. :mangiare-03:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips guys. Really helps a nufty gumby like me!! Now i just have to save up a few gee's to be able to afford all the gear i need!

• Like 2

On 10/05/2015 at 5:16 PM, kx450f said:

lmfao is that the flowerdale pub lol

Or what happened to us the Pub was closed:(

Might be simple and pritty stupid but if you have a group of mate your ride with on the reg work out what size bolts each bike shares so you can share the load of tools etc. ie. no point carring two well prepared first aid kits, one person carry that and the other carry say spare tubs etc..
Try lighten the load you both carry

Also notsure if its been said but a tow rope is handy

a couple to add....

* be aware of your tyre pressures pre-ride and adjust them to suit the ride - i.e. if its a wet day and there are going to be plenty of hills you dont want to be running 14+PSI in your rear tyre!

* flush your brake fluid out every 12 months (if you havent done it in the last 12 months and are heading to Goughs at the end of this month I STRONGLY recommend you flush it before going! on that note, it costs a little more than standard fluid but go into a bike shop and get some High Temp fluid (I think its Motul 600 or similar) - just make sure you get the right fluid for your bike 

* for wet winter rides keep an old pair of goggles and remove all of the foam from across the top and bottom of the goggles (not the foam that touches your face!) - the increased air flow greatly reduces fogging.

* another trick for fogging goggles - if you have a fan on your bike run an on/off switch on it, if your goggles are fogged up just flick the fan on and hold the goggles behind the fan so the air is blowing on the inside, will clear them up in no time!

* 3rd goggle recommendation, if they are available, run dual layer lenses

* wear 'skins" style leggings - they will prevent rubbing etc from knee braces/guards as well as keeping moisture away from your skin... then theres the alleged benefit of muscle recovery etc?

* as above wear a skins style tee or singlet under your body armor etc. once again it keeps the moisture off your skin... I used to just wear normal tee's under my armor and it would always be drenched when I finished a ride.. sooooo much better

• Like 5

Something to make sure you have in your first aid kit. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NO-15-x5-FIRST-AID-WOUND-DRESSING-COMPRESS-BANDAGE-/281448935389?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

i always carry in the bush and have used twice in action (on someone else), both times for stabbing stick wounds. (Who would think this could happen on a dirt bike)

They aren't normally on display at a chemist and you have to ask for them. Every rider should carry one.

Also called field dressing, combine dressings, field bandages.

• Like 1

Lastly,

have a look at this thread. It is the best tips you can have to ensure that your ride will go as well as possible

• Like 1

On 07/02/2014 at 11:29 AM, christian_nativo said:

I'm just a beginner, Not sure if anyone's mentioned this : toilet paper! Never know! :-P

Make sure it's in a ziplock bag. No good to anyone if it gets wet. 

• Like 2

Never follow STM's line if he is overtaking someone! Never............ Ever....! 

Pretty simple one...text/leave a note to whoever that you've gone riding, where, with whom and expected time you'll be back - then text then them you're ready to go home....just makes reversing the trailer up the driveway easier:P

• Like 1

No worries

Another one I thought of was to spray some WD40 on the buckles on your boots - saves them from rusting and makes them easier to do up

I do that, it works

Walkie talkies, fully charged & agreed channel to chat on, incase u get lost or break down. Dont trust mobile reception to work in the remoteness of forests.
Since we're heading as far away from civilization & phone towers, dont expect any coverage from optus, voda or virgin. And double bad that if u have an.older handset.
At least walkie talkiès pickup truck channels, radio operators aswell as country police band.....just incase u need help

• Like 2

I'm a neebie and just finished scanning the posts - thanks everybody for the advice - I had figured out some of it myself but picked up lot of good ideas

• Like 2

Or do I get in trouble for posting that... ?

14 hours ago, Huski said:

Or do I get in trouble for posting that... ?

This is a G rated forum mate,  female members, etc etc....

Consider it a friendly first warning..

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Use dencher cleaning tables for cleaning your camel back bladders as its the same as the camel back ones but half the price just go to the chemist