8 8
Nic103

Tips Of The Trade For Newbies

Was packing for Saturdays ride in Anglesea and thought - Don't forget the zip lock bag for my phone (cos theres nothing worse then a wet smartphone)

This was one of those great little tips I got from a fellow dirtriderZ member, so I thought Id share.biggrin.gif

Whats your fav tip to share? Might be as simple as a zip lock bag - but might make all the difference on the ride.

• Like 3

My tip is.

If you are going on a ride that plans to stop at the pub for lunch.................

Take something to eat as well as your wallet in case you don't ,make it........

• Like 8

I always have a few sachets of that silica gel inside the snap lock bag. No smart phones don't like water.

Prep your bike the night before. Nothing worse than last minute tooling.

If on a wet ride WD40 under your front and rear guards. It will help stop mud from sticking.

:)

• Like 5

silicone spray the bike pre muddy run - especially spokes.

don't touch your goggle lense with mudy gloves

Ensure tank full before leaving home

pack snakes alive in backpack as emergency meal...

drink 1L of premixed stamindae the night before or on way to ride, stops cramping.

• Like 2

snap lock bag for your spare plug (cheaper and easier than the water proof units designed for them)

snap lock bag for your car keys if you have a modernish vehicle with a remote/imobilser type thingy built in!!) would be a bastard to not be able to start your car to go home!!

ride with cruiser in case of a flat!!! ;)

• Like 2

Put red electrical tape on either side of your tyre valves on a muddy ride.Makes it easier to find the valve when you have mud stuck to the rim.

Great idea for a thread Nic!!

To all the more experienced riders out there, please help add some good tips to the list that will benefit new people to the sport,

I have now made this a sticky thread

• Like 1

Carry some spare zip ties, either in your camel back or stash them in your bar pad....

Have always carried a spare chain link, something simple i know, but imagine getting back to the car without one....

• Like 1

Have always carried a spare chain link, something simple i know, but imagine getting back to the car without one....

Yeah Hoobz... What Geoffro said...

BWHAaaaaaaahaaaaaahaaaa

With regards to keeping goggles clean, I like to carry a rag tied to my roost armour or camelbag strap. Hubby carries one in he bumbag and another tip passed onto me by many experienced riders who have learnt to carry another pair of gloves in you bag or bumbag. Nothing worse then cold wet fingers :) (i use the polar paw gloves for really cold winter riding, noice and toasty)

One other thing which hubby & I have experienced first hand is a leaking camelbag bladder (when you've arrived at the loading area - best thing is to bring a spare camelbag & bladder in the car or trailer toolbox (oh and water of course..lol). You just never know

• Like 3

I'm also a big fan of the rag for the goggles - I also carry a snot rag (not real nice way of describing it but sounds better then hankie) only make sure u don't mix em up - otherwise you'll be scraping boogers out of ur goggles for a week! :)

• Like 2

You're on a wet ride. It keeps raining and raining...

Your goggs are totally satched.

Put your goggles at the exit of your dirt bike exhaust and keep the bike revving a bit. It's a great hair/hand dryer right there. It takes a little bit to see it drying out. It actually gets worse for a bit and you think it's not working, but with a bit of patience you will have warm and toasty dry goggles and gloves. This has to be my fave mood lifter during wet outings.

Not too good with 2 strokes.

Take the goggles off your face first.

• Like 4

Was washing the bike yesterday and thought of a few more (couldn't find any cool pics though lol)

Remember the 6 P's

Perfect

Preparation

Prevents

Piss

Poor

Performance

- wash your bike after each ride, take note of any broken bits that will need replacing before your next ride - saves getting to the night before and having to wing it, and gives u time to get the right stuff.

- grab some WD40 and give the levers and nuts and bolts a squirt (stay away from the breaks tho).

- after washing your bike, lube the chain (some bike washes can be corrosive) and then again (just a smidge) on the morning of the ride.

- get some Milton tablets for your camelbak, use it after you have run some warm water and dishwashing liquid through (smells like shit but works really well).

Last but not least

- don't ride with ur phone in ur back pocket, I had and off and had a rectangle shaped bruise on my arse for a week!

• Like 3

thanks for this thread guys they are very much appreciated for a newby like me :)

No worries :)

Another one I thought of was to spray some WD40 on the buckles on your boots - saves them from rusting and makes them easier to do up

My tip is - don't just check the MAJOR things - check the little things as they can stop you're ride quick !

Check your chain sliders - swing arm, rollers and lower rear chain guide - when they go you will know about it !!

Don't use cheap bearings ...they wont last long.

Check you're radiator cap seal and fuel cap seal.

Get your throttle cables and clutch cables checked or replaced often as they rust and snap.

Yazza

Pull the swing arm bolt out and clean out your bearings of rusty water. Regularly. 2 to 3 mths. depending on the type of riding.

Re-grease, knowing your bearings are in good nick instead of hoping?

Better than having to bash it out with a 12lb hammer once everything jams

• Like 1

Take a jerry can on rides if you ride a 250F

Allways remember spare clean Socks and Jocks

Mulitgrips can be used for broken levers

Ive found that every ride i do i take more tools with me, Ya seem to learn as you go or else ya wont do a whole lot of riding.

• Like 1

spare levers are really handy as is your set of allen key wrenches for barkbuster re adjustments post fail.

Photocop ya map and put in a sealed back with your loop marked plus any shortcuts marked.

• Like 2

Cable clutch bikes: buy a spare clutch cable and zip tie it alongside the cable already fitted to your bike with a bit of tape or something over the ends to keep moisture and dirt out. In the likely event or snapping/stretching the fitted clutch cable or loosing the ball off the end you can simply swap the cables over, end for end and save heaps of time on the trail.

Radiator guards are worth the money (saved me twice).

Keep zip ties in an immediately accessible place so you can grab one without getting your toolwrap out or taking your backpack off.

2-strokes: carry some spare 2t oil in your airbox

Put a zippy tie around the sparkplug cap where it joins the coil lead (keeps moisture out)

Make sure you have all the tools you need to dewater your bike, would also suggest keeping a dry rag in a snap lock bag to squeeze water out of the airfilter.

Route your carb vent hoses up high so your bike doesn't stall in a creek crossing.

Lockwire your grips.

Locktite your kick starter, brake rotor & sprocket bolts.

Don't ride without gloves (you need your hands for the toilet).

Always have enough water for yourself, a 600ml Mount Franklin bottle is not enough.

Strap a mint container to your bars and stuff some toilet paper in it for number 2's and google wiping (saw in a mag)

mintcontaineronthebars.jpg

• Like 5

Well finally getting some bark busters for my wr450 about time thanks to this tread I will be packing zip ties and Allen keys to make adjustments along the way. Cheers all. :) need to learn how to change tube while out bush next thing on my list after Kinglake ride. :P

• Like 1