dirtpilot

Alpinestars Bionic Neck Brace & Armour

I have been wearing the Alpinestars Bionic armour and neck brace for a few rides now. The armour is compatible with the neck brace by removing the top section of the spine protector. Simply velcro's on/off. The armour is comfortable and a huge leap forward to my old worn out 10 year old Dianese.

I have been tossing up about getting a neckbrace for a while, but i like any new protective gear and will try it if affordable. The brace works well with the Camelbak, the sternum strap holds the brace in place nicely. Hardly know i am wearing it except on downhills where it can restrict backwards movement a bit, but you get used to it.

Before you buy a neckbrace, research it as much as possible on the protection they offer. The booklet that comes with the brace is very informative, and tells you the in and outs of how they protect your neck, BTW those soft neck rolls you see some riders wearing are fairly useless. Make an informed desision before buying.

Cost was $260 armour (Peter Stevens with dirtriderz discount), $300 for neckbrace (discount whren buying new Sherco)

thanks for the review Pat.

I got the armour around the same time as you and have the intention of getting the neck brace as well (would make a good fathers day present i reckon!).

Do you notice any weight with the neck brace? do you think it would be at all beneficial paying the extra couple hundred for the "next model up" - is it just a weight saving with the dearer model or are there other features added as well????

thanks for the review Pat.

I got the armour around the same time as you and have the intention of getting the neck brace as well (would make a good fathers day present i reckon!).

Do you notice any weight with the neck brace? do you think it would be at all beneficial paying the extra couple hundred for the "next model up" - is it just a weight saving with the dearer model or are there other features added as well????

Save your coin, i find there is no noticable weight. Only time i know i am wearing it is when going down hills. Don't know if the red one has any extra features. I have also ordered a sticker kit for it after seeing Milktoasts.

I wear the same combination of armour and neck brace and find they work well together. About the only time I remember I'm wearing the brace is when I reach both hands behind my helmet to tighten my goggle strap.

AFAIK the only difference between the two neck brace models is the red/more expensive one uses some carbon fibre. Rather than being all polycarbonate like the white one.

As for the graphics Pat,I thing they're called "Aussie Pride" by Ringmaster.

I wear the same combination of armour and neck brace and find they work well together. About the only time I remember I'm wearing the brace is when I reach both hands behind my helmet to tighten my goggle strap.

AFAIK the only difference between the two neck brace models is the red/more expensive one uses some carbon fibre. Rather than being all polycarbonate like the white one.

As for the graphics Pat,I thing they're called "Aussie Pride" by Ringmaster.

Orderd some from Kustom mx.

pricing update - and food for thought for all the internet shoppers!!!

Torpedo 7 - $339.95 + $9 shipping ($15 if its considered a "mini bulk item") as seen HERE

Rocky Mountain - $289.95* + $65* shipping as seen HERE

Ebay (US) - $289.95* + $48.15* shipping as seen HERE

* indicates US Dollars - using THIS CONVERTOR (with the Aussie Dollar @ 1 AUD = 1.01852 USD) it works out to: RMATV $348.20 & Ebay $332.098

Peter Stevens - Shelf Price $349.95. Ringwood store with dirtriderZ 15% discount $297.45

pricing update - and food for thought for all the internet shoppers!!!

Torpedo 7 - $339.95 + $9 shipping ($15 if its considered a "mini bulk item") as seen HERE

Rocky Mountain - $289.95* + $65* shipping as seen HERE

Ebay (US) - $289.95* + $48.15* shipping as seen HERE

* indicates US Dollars - using THIS CONVERTOR (with the Aussie Dollar @ 1 AUD = 1.01852 USD) it works out to: RMATV $348.20 & Ebay $332.098

Peter Stevens - Shelf Price $349.95. Ringwood store with dirtriderZ 15% discount $297.45

It does pay to shop around. I have noticed Monza imported brands like Alpinestars, Shift have become heaps cheaper recently.

Glad I didn't buy this armour overseas.

Got it from peter stevens ringwood.

The sleeves zip off. Wore it once and one sleeve just fell off! Stitching hopless.

Probabley had 12 rides and now the velcro thingy that tightens the shoulder pad - just fell off. Hopeless stitching again.

Had to go to Peter stevens ringwood twice and then ended up going to monza imports factory in north melbourne and they fixed the sleeve good.

But now have to go back there and get the bloody shoulder pad thing sewed back on.

Hopeless stitching - anybody else found this - I'm only wearing the armour - not the neckbrace.

My 661 armour lasted heaps longer than this rubbish.

Monza imports factory in North Melbourne is massive - and impressive!

funny you should say that Juzzie!

i had to get the zipper sown back onto the arm after getting it caught on a tree at wandong 2 weeks ago - dont think the stitching could be blamed for that though....

i did however notice that the stitching around the neck is coming undone on both sides.....

after sundays fall though i can vouch for the effectiveness of the forearm gaurd though - i would have fallen approx 2 meters and landed with all my weight on y forearm accross a log.... my arm is sore and bruised but i swear would have snapped in 2 without it!!!

funny you should say that Juzzie!

i had to get the zipper sown back onto the arm after getting it caught on a tree at wandong 2 weeks ago - dont think the stitching could be blamed for that though....

i did however notice that the stitching around the neck is coming undone on both sides.....

after sundays fall though i can vouch for the effectiveness of the forearm gaurd though - i would have fallen approx 2 meters and landed with all my weight on y forearm accross a log.... my arm is sore and bruised but i swear would have snapped in 2 without it!!!

Yep I was pretty happy with the forearm protection as well, and the chest coverage is pretty good compared to others as well.

Don't get me wrong - I love the way it feels and I think it's good protection. I just wish the stitching would stop unravelling!

Monza imports are pretty good at fixing it up though - they have a dedicated lady in the North Melbourne with all the gear to fix it up and do a pretty good job of it....

I'm doing away with my Bionic SB neckbrace. have tried a couple of different armor combos and no armor .. and the brace still annoys the hell out of me particularly on steep downhills and ability to look up in inhibited.

Will most likely sell and see if a Leatt works better.