Tim Coleman in induced coma :(

The "official word" on his page (updated by family) is that the doctors believe has most likely surffered a severe episode of heatstroke that has lead to other complications. There are still unknowns as to what happened or what led to it happening and he is in an induced coma.

(From his Facebook page)

• Sad 1

Hard to imagine and experienced hard enduro rider like Tim Coleman, would suffer from heatstoke that bad that they had to induce him into coma to save his life!!! Maybe he suffered from water intoxication or over hydration but whatever it was, l hope he pulls through and gets on the mend!!!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Recent update on Ina Coleman's FB:

Update on Timmy boy

Day 19 and Tim is still in intensive care since being admitted for sever heatstroke (presumably).
He has also been fighting an ongoing lung infection which has occurred since he has been admitted.
Since he had the tube out on Sunday he has been battling hard against this infection and hasn’t had a lot of progression. It’s been so nice for us to be able to talk to him again but very hard to watch him struggle to talk or even lift a hand.
Yesterday Tim had surgery on his lung to remove some fluid that could not be drained which he was re-intubated for (Had the breathing tube put back in and placed under general anaesthetic).
Unfortunately this morning when they attempted to remove the tube it was unsuccessful and he wasn’t able to breath on his own and needed to be immediately re intubated. This was a traumatic experience for Tim and devastating for all of us. Now he is again in an induced coma whilst the doctors try and get on top of this infection.
It’s not what we expected today and is a significant set back for Tim.
On top of this he is still recovering from the original presumed heat stroke which resulted in kidney and liver failure amongst other complications.
For all those who have been calling and messaging Tim directly since he had the tube out on Sunday I’m sure he appreciates it so much, but was never quite at the stage that he could check his phone or reply to messages.
Sorry for the long rambling post, but I hope this gives people a clearer idea of what Tim is currently up against.
Again I can’t thank everyone enough for your support, thoughts and messages, Timmy needs all the good vibes and prayers he can get

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

Tim Coleman update..

Thanks to Greg Peterson for the last detailed update you provided on Tim and the race
24 days in intensive care.. Just another update, basically Tim is still requiring a ventilator to assist with his breathing as he still has an ongoing lung infection that is causing his right lung now to partially collapse. The surgery he was supposed to have on Monday was held off and they attempted a simple drain instead. This wasn’t as effective as they hoped so he will have the surgery either tonight or tomorrow.
Although Tim is still intubated they have been able to have him on light sedation recently so he’s actually awake during the day now and we have been able to talk to him and he can even do some physio! he’s a weakling still but he’s getting there!
After they do the surgery, and if they can get this infection kicked then the docs will make a decision about if he needs a tracheostomy or if they will attempt to just take the tube out again and see how he goes.
Annoyingly covid restrictions now mean from today none of us can visit him so he’s on his own for now! I tried to get in today, made it to the ICU waiting room but got kicked out at the last door
Overall he’s doing really well, liver is slowly improving, he still requires dialysis every couple of days but they expect his kidneys to recover eventually.
We honestly can’t believe the fundraising efforts and support from all around the world for Tim, it’s incredible to see and so appreciated! We hope that he will recover sooner rather than later and we won’t need it all but it’s honestly so helpful right now and heartwarming to see

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Tim Coleman update..

Thanks to Greg Peterson for the last detailed update you provided on Tim and the race
24 days in intensive care.. Just another update, basically Tim is still requiring a ventilator to assist with his breathing as he still has an ongoing lung infection that is causing his right lung now to partially collapse. The surgery he was supposed to have on Monday was held off and they attempted a simple drain instead. This wasn’t as effective as they hoped so he will have the surgery either tonight or tomorrow.
Although Tim is still intubated they have been able to have him on light sedation recently so he’s actually awake during the day now and we have been able to talk to him and he can even do some physio! he’s a weakling still but he’s getting there!
After they do the surgery, and if they can get this infection kicked then the docs will make a decision about if he needs a tracheostomy or if they will attempt to just take the tube out again and see how he goes.
Annoyingly covid restrictions now mean from today none of us can visit him so he’s on his own for now! I tried to get in today, made it to the ICU waiting room but got kicked out at the last door
Overall he’s doing really well, liver is slowly improving, he still requires dialysis every couple of days but they expect his kidneys to recover eventually.
We honestly can’t believe the fundraising efforts and support from all around the world for Tim, it’s incredible to see and so appreciated! We hope that he will recover sooner rather than later and we won’t need it all but it’s honestly so helpful right now and heartwarming to see

Thank you for the update Tracey and well done. Myself and my two sons were standing a few metres from Tim as he flew up the uphill rock garden at Wildwood Rock Extreme while we cheered him on and we’re still cheering him on....!!!!!
  • Like 2

Tim Coleman update 3rd April
(From Ina Coleman's FB page)

Little Tim Coleman update

Day 28 in intensive care, Tims doing really well he had the surgery for his right lung on Thursday (it got put back a bit with the covid outbreak in Qld) and that seems to have helped a bit with his fever so hopefully that infection is starting to clear
He is still intubated currently but he’s very awake and able to do physio but of course he can’t talk at all which is frustrating for him! We don’t know at this stage if he will have a tracheostomy or not, they will give him another few days and see how his breathing goes.. really he just wants to eat something! Less fussed about breathing
We were locked out for about 3 days, and the hospital is still technically under no visitor rule for 2 weeks, but the amazing staff here in ICU have gone above and beyond to make an exception for myself and Tims mum to be able to visit him which is so so great He’s having a lot of trouble sleeping so he’s pretty exhausted and well over it but seemed pretty stoked to be able to have a visit from us again
Overall things seem to be generally improving and I feel he is well on his way in the right direction
Happy Easter everyone xxx

• Like 3

Day 32 in intensive care...
Update 7th April
From Ina Colemans FB page

Tim had his tube taken out on Monday again for the third time! They decided to give him one more chance at removing it before going to a tracheostomy, and this time he’s been successful! He’s doing really well breathing on his own with just some extra oxygen I initially didn’t want to update everyone with that info in case it failed again like the last two times.
He’s so happy to have the tube out and be able to eat and drink again but he’s still got a long road ahead. He fully needs to learn how to stand and walk again on his own and has a lot of muscle to rebuild to get there so it’s lots of physio from now..
We have been super lucky to be able to visit Tim during the hospital lock down while he’s in ICU, but probably tomorrow or the next day he will go to a ward where we won’t be allowed to see him for a week But we’re making the most of annoying him while we can!
Thanks again for everyone’s continued support and interest in how tim is tracking, he’s been amazed to see how much support there is out there for him!
I think it’s starting to hit home how much work he has ahead of him to get back to his prior fitness but he’s determined as hell and keeping a really strong mindset I’m so proud of how well he’s doing

• Like 5

fantastic news tracey... i didn't get a chance to tell you about my sons journey after a road bike off..... he had 9 days on life support/induced coma until they took him off....but I 13000% get what you are going thru...its bloody scary....yep he has a lot of work to do...but at least he has that challenge ahead...the alternative isn't too good...good luck to you all on Tim's journey.....

• Like 2
fantastic news tracey... i didn't get a chance to tell you about my sons journey after a road bike off..... he had 9 days on life support/induced coma until they took him off....but I 13000% get what you are going thru...its bloody scary....yep he has a lot of work to do...but at least he has that challenge ahead...the alternative isn't too good...good luck to you all on Tim's journey.....
I'm just re-posting updates I have seen on FB for those who dont have Facebook.

I am no relation to Tim Coleman, just an admirer of an amazing dirtbike rider and figure there would be like minded people on here that would like to see the updates being a dirtbike forum.

The updates above are copied from his wife Ina Coleman's facebook page.

• Like 5

Another Tim update from Ina

Day 35 ICU, so it’s a little like ground hog day We thought Tim would be on the ward by now but after my last update tims R) lung had started to collapse again from accumulation around the outside. So yesterday he had to go for surgery again for the third time, which of course meant he needed to be intubated and sedated again It turned out to be a bit tricky and he lost quite a bit of blood during the surgery but they got most of what they wanted out. They kept him induced over night as he’s proven to be risky to extubate, but they were able to take the tube out again this morning Since then he’s been alright but requiring a positive pressure mask on and off today. He’s still really fatigued and has a persistent fever/infection that won’t budge.. BUT.. he’s been allowed to have ice cream which was Tims main priority today
Thanks again to everyone still following along.. hopefully there will be something different to update soon!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Day 39 Tim ICU update!

Tims doing really well after the last surgery! His lungs seem to be behaving themselves and getting a little better each day Still in ICU for now, they are just waiting until they can take his last chest drain out and for his heat rate to slow down and then he should be off to a ward in the next day or two.
He’s lost a lot of weight (and he didn’t have heaps to lose!) so we are trying to smash him with calories and protein and keep up the physio. He still has a fever and his body’s working really hard so he’s burning energy really fast
But he’s getting a bit stronger each day and has started doing some walks with a frame down the corridor He’s about as slow as a snail and a 20 meter walk wipes him out, but he’s determined to get there!

Lots of love xx

Copied From Ina Coleman's FB Page

• Like 5

Tim Coleman update

So yesterday arvo Tim was finally transferred to a ward after 41 days in intensive care! (This Sunday marks 6 weeks) A big step towards getting home He’s even been able to get outside a couple of times to get some fresh air which he bloody loved!
It’s still absolutely crazy for us to think that Tim was fit and healthy one second racing and doing well and the next minute he was fighting for his life after suffering heat stroke, almost died from liver failure, and then copped a serious bout of pneumonia with multiple collapsed lungs and surgeries and now he’s having to learn to walk again. But despite how long he’s been in ICU the doctors are impressed with how quickly he is improving and are confident he will make a full recovery
Thanks again to everyone for all the incredible support
I can’t even say how thankful we are to all our friends, family, followers and the entire biking community
Good luck to everyone racing KK tomorrow, keep hydrated and ride safe!
Much love xxx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1