Mo tow Carrier or something similar

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been covered before.

I'm looking at getting a bike carrier like the mo-tow or something similar.

Can anyone offer any advice on what to avoid, what styles are good/bad, is there any mods to the carriers I should be doing. I'm currently looking at Mo-tows, Ballards, and generic brands. It will be riding on the back of my triton.

Cheers

Mat

I have a motow on the back of a triton. The motow does the job, the rack and roll is a better unit, but also costs more. If you can afford to, get the rack and roll, but if you have a lower budget, get the motow.

Couple of things to be wary with the motow, it doesnt come with any lights, and it obscures the lights when a bike is loaded and also obscure the number plate on most vehicles, so you will need to consider spending extra for lights and maybe a bike carrier number plate (in vic at least).

Also, I had an issue with my triton (mn) that there is a light duty towbar, and a heavy duty towbar. The light duty towbar doesnt come out as far as the heavy duty, and the bike wouldnt fit being too close to the car and i had to fit the heavy duty towbar (luckily work has a few and I could swap with one that didnt need the heavier one).

If you want some photo's/info, i ca n send some when I hook it all up on the weekend...

• Like 2
I have a motow on the back of a triton. The motow does the job, the rack and roll is a better unit, but also costs more. If you can afford to, get the rack and roll, but if you have a lower budget, get the motow.

Couple of things to be wary with the motow, it doesnt come with any lights, and it obscures the lights when a bike is loaded and the number plate on most vehicles, so you will need to consider spending extra for lights and maybe a bike plate (in vic at least).
Also, I had an issue with my triton (mn) that there is a light duty towbar, and a heavy duty towbar. The light duty towbar doesnt come out as far as the heavy duty, and the bike wouldnt fit being too close to the car and i had to fit the heavy duty towbar (luckily work has a few and I could swap with one that didnt need the heavoer one)
If you want some photo's/info, i ca n send some when I hook it all up on the weekend...
That would be awesome if you could get some pics please. I'm running an ML 3.2 diesel, tow capacity is 2.5t so im guess its the heavy duty
That would be awesome if you could get some pics please. I'm running an ML 3.2 diesel, tow capacity is 2.5t so im guess its the heavy duty
No problems. Wont be until saturday, but will send some with & without the bike on.
It should be the heavier one being 2.5t, should have 100x100 box section that the reciever is welded to, and some reinforcing like the picture on the reciever. Also the end of the reciever sits about 50mm in from the edge of the rear step (dual cab)
83b2c823f4a8027f9389e4d3c73cb3b6.jpgdddc63a5ec7dec868c07bacc1b42a8af.jpg593383b62a2c20675e71c5756edfa9c6.jpg
  • Like 1
No problems. Wont be until saturday, but will send some with & without the bike on.
It should be the heavier one being 2.5t, should have 100x100 box section that the reciever is welded to, and some reinforcing like the picture on the reciever. Also the end of the reciever sits about 50mm in from the edge of the rear step (dual cab)
83b2c823f4a8027f9389e4d3c73cb3b6.jpgdddc63a5ec7dec868c07bacc1b42a8af.jpg593383b62a2c20675e71c5756edfa9c6.jpg
Thanks for the pics and measurements

I recently bought a Rack n roll after a mate bought one.

We got the aluminum version with ali ramp, cost $850 delivered to Melbourne. We got a bit of deal on them as we bought two.

The thing is solid as a rock on the back of my ranger.

Another mate has a cheap one he picked up from AMX, its horrible compared the to the Rack n Roll ones.

A good aussie made product IMO.

• Like 2

Use a hitch anti rattle pin which also stops theft as it locks with a key. be aware furtherest any part of bike or carrier can stick out back is 60% of hub to hub distance, back from centre of rear hub and 15cm out past side of car

It’s almost impossible for most cars btw

I've ran the 1 Motow for maybe 7 years or more. Its good and does the job. I got lights and a new bike rack number plate with every new car. If I had to buy another I would buy the rack n roll as they are a serious bit of kit but the Motow has never let me down and its done some  4wd bike recoveries as well.

It is for Jeeps anyway!

4 hours ago, FullySick said:

It’s almost impossible for most cars btw

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

Oouch! $400
I’m assuming you don’t run barkbusters

Yup. No, but probably will from now on, had them on the previous bike and didnt have any issues with them.but I do crash a lot ! 

• Like 1