The little Pocket Rocket - 150tpi thread

you are right.......but riders such as yourselves will get up most shit on a postie bike I reckon...thats why us hacks need the other bikes to make us look better...lol

mick do you thinks all of the stuff you do doesnt matter if its 150...250...300...350? interested to hear your thoughts surely the cubes kick in at some stage? or am i right on the postie bike theory?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, splints said:

doesnt matter if its 150...250...300...350? interested to hear your thoughts surely the cubes kick in at some stage?  

Small bore bikes will do 90% of the stuff 300s will do with less effort , but riding step n gnarly stuff requires more talent and practice compared to a 3002t or 350

Edit. Obviously helps if your lighter than average 

• Like 4
you are right.......but riders such as yourselves will get up most shit on a postie bike I reckon...thats why us hacks need the other bikes to make us look better...lol
mick do you thinks all of the stuff you do doesnt matter if its 150...250...300...350? interested to hear your thoughts surely the cubes kick in at some stage? or am i right on the postie bike theory?

To answer your question- ( this is only my opinion ) it doesn’t matter what bike I’m on , yes they all have there pros & cons , iv started on 500s and worked my way down , the biggest thing iv noticed from moving down to the smaller bores is my skills and pace have gotten better ( less is more ) . BenG for example is one of the most talented and skilled riders iv seen-to be able to do everything-and if not better then all the big boys do on a 150 is next lvl for me imo. Another example I rode deep in the Ottways a couple of weeks ago and even the 300 2t was a handful for me.
  • Like 2

Interesting Review Mick,, well until gets to his riding... bike seems to die like the stock one does.  As far as I can tell the tsp mod improves the mid-top, not the off idle (⅛ throttle) be interested if it did fixed the tpi fluff.

cheers

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, BenG said:

.  As far as I can tell the tsp mod improves the mid-top, not the off idle (⅛ throttle) be interested if it did fixed the tpi fluff.

Yer i noticed he stalls it a few times,  i need to ride one to see if it is a smooth and stall resistant as mine , wont be worth upgrading otherwise 

• Like 1

After chasing my tail (& waiting for you to jump)  I went & picked up a 150tpi with the thought I’d give it a go, if I couldn’t make it work I'd move it on.

Initially I hated the tpi missing power off idle (⅛ throttle) but turning the power valve in a long way improved it. Ive also changed my throttle/clutch timing slightly to compensate.
Today I rode the carby & tpi back to back. You should come by next time your over my way. Its taken me some time to begin to see the light....

The Benefit of the tpi's linear curve permits a lot of control in techy stuff, its enjoyable & surprised me on climbs. It has more mid ¼+ than the carby which helps greatly to carry through & up stuff. I think it'll be a benefit in the wet.  
It does not rev out as high as the carby, signs off earlier. The way the 150carby lights up is the bomb, the old man in me is ok trading it for more mid range (but the 18yr old who peeps out on occasion may not be:)

The TPI runs clean but I'm still learning what the bits do. Up at Goughs between two V climbs the bike stopped and a engine light was flashing.  I had phone service so got Wade to look up what the flashing light sequence meant, it pointed to crankcase sensor, was about to try to swap 2 identical sensors when notice a small hose that went to the crankcase had come off under the tank. I think I just got unlucky (then lucky)  Hopefully based on other’s no stress experiences this was a one of. Not cool. 

More so than the engine the new Geo is what I enjoy about the bike.  Its really noticeable how balanced it is for techy stuff, I ride a long log with both bikes, its very clear…  I thought the new frame is a copy of the MX but it doesn’t seem to corner was well when sitting like mx railing a berm or maybe I just need to adapt..It actually seems more Enduro/trials shape like the Sherco, prob foot peg location.

The Forks are a dramatically improved, they are like I remember my best bikes being.

My carby kickstars 1st kick but we've found a hill or two lately that take an hour or two to climb, often pushing, having the higher wattage Starter motor is a game changer for this old man.

Anyway just a few observation, Im pretty slow to change so still getting use to it.  
Basically there’s characteristic of both bikes I like.

No doubt the coming years will bring improvements to the tpi.

• Like 8
4 minutes ago, BenG said:

No doubt the coming years will bring improvements to the tpi.

Fair review Ben , i decided to keep my 150 after selling the Freeride 250r.  I'll be watching this space with interest before i jump ship onto a Tpi150  🤘

• Like 1

Great read Ben

Wow I never thought you would buy a tpi !

I’m so excited for when mine finally arrives-I rode my mates 20 150tpi (Stock) last weekend at Goughs Bay- that little weapon hauled my big butt up Milners Gap hill climb no problem - in 2nd gear man what a rush these machines give you.

• Like 3
I was just trying to find more info on the 21 150tpi Ecu updates , found this as an interesting read , (not trying to promote this product) 
https://www.twostrokeperformance.com.au/product/tpi-power-kit-suits-2020-ktm-150tpi-and-husky-te150i/

As you know Mick the bikes are expensive already-the question I ask is we’re do you stop, you can keep throwing money at these machines and modifying. For me I drop my money on protection gear and try and better my skills by learning how to ride the bike as stock - instead of using more power to get me up and over obstacles ( this is my way of thought-each to there own tho ). Please keep in mind I’m not having a dig at anyone modifying there engines .
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

As you know Mick the bikes are expensive already-the question I ask is we’re do you stop

Im all for having a stock bike but Its not about more power, its about having the bike run properly and making them more ridable and reliable thats why i run Keihin's instead of mikuni, apart from the carby my TX300 is stock and doesn't have any TSP mods , my TE150 has the TSP Head insert , Carby and V force reeds and suspensionrevalved,  my 16 model TE300 had all the TSP mods done and it was scary on map 1 and was too much power,  I like ithe idea of having the oil maps modified especially if your going to keep the bike for 300+hrs., 

Oil is cheap,  rebuilds are not 🙂🤙

• Like 4