Force Pipe Guard - keeping crap out??

Question for those that run the force pipe guard/bash plate combo....

Has anyone come up with a way or tried anything to prevent the build up of leaves and branches etc around the pipe?

I understand its not a big deal taking it off when cleaning but thought i'd throw it out there and see if theres any tricks?

I was contemplating packing under, infront and behind the pipe with steel wool or similar from Bunnings?

I understand a certain amount of dirt/mud will still get in but picture it keeping anything else/bigger from gathering?

any thoughts?

Yeah, that’s the type of stuff. Didn’t know there was a bike specific product - assumed it came from Bunnings or similar.

Yeah, not sure how it would go with the heat. Possibly different grades??

yep, that stuff is a "synthetic" material. In one respect I'd imagine being crammed underneath the engine it would be exposed to plenty of heat, but then am assuming that the expansion chamber would probably be hotter again?

thats why i was wondering about one of the "steel wool" products in bunnings and the likes might be an option?

You'll just make the bike heavier with steel wool , not the actual material but when the thing gets wet. Also, it won't filter out mud or sediments so that steel wool quickly becomes a sand bag!!!

You can't escape taking the pipe guard off unfortunately .

• Like 1

Probably par for the course with maximum protection pipe guards.

Whilst not familiar with the Force unit, my Hyde bashplate/pipe guard has been grouse.

Downside is it collects mud under the pipe like crazy and if working the bike hard starts to cook it lol

I'm not one that suffers from dirt bike weight anxiety however.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, ohmygewd said:

You'll just make the bike heavier with steel wool , not the actual material but when the thing gets wet. Also, it won't filter out mud or sediments so that steel wool quickly becomes a sand bag!!!

You can't escape taking the pipe guard off unfortunately .

Fair call - hadnt thought of the "sandbag" aspect!

26 minutes ago, J-man said:

Probably par for the course with maximum protection pipe guards.

Whilst not familiar with the Force unit, my Hyde bashplate/pipe guard has been grouse.

Downside is it collects mud under the pipe like crazy and if working the bike hard starts to cook it lol

I'm not one that suffers from dirt bike weight anxiety however.

im not overly fussed from a weight perspective - my reasoning, if im honest, was due to laziness!

but really, it takes 2 minutes max to remove it, shouldnt take much longer to put it back on - all depends on how long it takes to get it in the right spot for the holes to line up!

might instead spend some time making some marks on the frame to assist with lining it up easier!

Thanks for everyones input - never hurts to put a question out there!

If it helps, l have a B&B pipe guard and when l wash the bike, l lay it on it's side and give the pipe part a good blast and it takes 90% of the stuff out especially leaves and twigs but that clingy greyish clay mud can be difficult..probably take the pipe guard part  off twice a year...maybe some strategic holes to allow better flow?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ohmygewd said:

If it helps, l have a B&B pipe guard and when l wash the bike, l lay it on it's side and give the pipe part a good blast and it takes 90% of the stuff out especially leaves and twigs but that clingy greyish clay mud can be difficult..probably take the pipe guard part  off twice a year...maybe some strategic holes to allow better flow?

i hadnt taken it off for ages untill just before the last lockdown and there was a baked on layer of 'concrete like" mud....

took it off last week before taking to twisti for repairs, whilst it was off i purchased some spare mounting bolts and new good 5m allen key socket piece, and some regular bolts for the front centre mount (the bottom ones need to be dome headed allen key...

when washing it on Monday night after a big river blast on Sunday I took it off as there was heaps of leaves, twihs and mud that the pressure washer wasnt removing so taking it off was the go... but that prompted the line of thought that lead to this thread!!

I think i need to just man up and remove it more often - as above I'll look at make some reference marks to make lining up the holes easier - its one of those things, sometimes you fluke it first go and other times you have to walk away and calm down after a few minuted before trying again!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1