Beta 300rr full rebuild

walkahz

bugger I   feel so bad for you mate..had big problems with my 19 ,hence I am on ktm now..not gonna bag the beta ,I loved the bikes ,but got to the stage of will I have a trouble free ride.just seen a 21 at matts raceline ,very slick bike.again sorry for your troubles,hope you have a good run when fixed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cobraone said:

bugger I   feel so bad for you mate..had big problems with my 19 ,hence I am on ktm now..not gonna bag the beta ,I loved the bikes ,but got to the stage of will I have a trouble free ride.just seen a 21 at matts raceline ,very slick bike.again sorry for your troubles,hope you have a good run when fixed.

Not your fault mate you did 200h of trouble free riding and i have had a year and a half of riding with no issues apart from a starter. Just higher hour issues!

I like tinkering anyway so as much as paying for it sucks i love pulling engines apart!

• Like 5

Gypsy this is not a tpi where the bike is purely controlled by the computer, injectors and oil pump!!! 

This oil pump is electronic and feeds the amount of oil needed to the bike, if it does fail the bike is dead!!! I would say not many would fail now but there was an issue with these bikes early on!!! Dazz was only stating you can stop using the pump and mix your fuel instead, remember this is a simple Keihin 36mm carby bike not a TPI!!!! Oil fed bikes have been around a long time so it could be debated which is better!! You do need your oil pump on your TPI as it's there to work with the injection and the super computer!! Makes no difference on a carby bike!!!

A technology often becomes obsolete when replaced by newer or better technology,"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, walkahz said:

Got some parts time to get stuck in. Still waiting on the crank stuffers hopefully not too far off as cant assemble the crank without them.20200930_160732.thumb.jpg.993ef25eb58dfc3d77a78ffd3cc159b6.jpg

Interesting ProX do a rod for it; same as one off a Jap bike? I remember years ago a lot of the small euro companies used to use jap parts / copies on their bikes including plastics and 2 stroke engine parts; a lot were based on CR250s.

Good to see your capabilities on display too Josh, well done buddy.

• Like 2

Interesting ProX do a rod for it; same as one off a Jap bike? I remember years ago a lot of the small euro companies used to use jap parts / copies on their bikes including plastics and 2 stroke engine parts; a lot were based on CR250s.
Good to see your capabilities on display too Josh, well done buddy.

Spot on Bear, the KX crank kit from ProX works in the 300 4t.
  • Like 1

Yeah prox and wossner seem to do aftermarket rods for them. OEM was over $500. Probably does match something else although apparently the beta's have a different rod to the ktm's only a slight difference in one of the pin dia's. No other models written on the box just Beta 300rr. Same with the main bearings i know they are a very common part but only Beta written on the box.

Speaking of main bearings got them in the cases last night. Bearings in the freezer all afternoon and the cases in the little pie oven in the shed. First one dropped straight in. 2nd one I stuffed around too much or didnt have the case hot enough and it went slightly cocked so had to press it via the outer race the last 5mm.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, walkahz said:

Yeah prox and wossner seem to do aftermarket rods for them. OEM was over $500. Probably does match something else although apparently the beta's have a different rod to the ktm's only a slight difference in one of the pin dia's. No other models written on the box just Beta 300rr. Same with the main bearings i know they are a very common part but only Beta written on the box.

Speaking of main bearings got them in the cases last night. Bearings in the freezer all afternoon and the cases in the little pie oven in the shed. First one dropped straight in. 2nd one I stuffed around too much or didnt have the case hot enough and it went slightly cocked so had to press it via the outer race the last 5mm.

Haven't tried a pie warmer. 200C in the regular oven works great and leaves enough heat to warm the bearing up after it drops in to easily slide the crank in as well (good for us old timers who did things without special tools).

Do you know how far in the crank should sit for a Beta? On Jap bikes its all in on the gear side and the rod should end up centred (but it doesnt always end up centred in which case it may need adjustment it if its noticeably off centre in the cases). 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, hoff300 said:

Does that mean the oil pump is or isn't obsolete? This thread was about rebuilding a bike and Dazz commented on an oil pump!! It is not a Ktm TPI thread!!

I'm sure you have the best technology, and you're happy with your bike but!!!

KTM use the same oil pump as Beta .. go figure huh !! 

USPS, Royal Mail etc all use destination local services (Australia Post in our case) and vica versa.

Also lengthy delays in getting it to destination country as they rely heavily on domestic international flights to ship mail/freight - not many of those atm.

DHL, UPS? and the like have their own global freight networks independent of domestic flights and local services and are much quicker atm.

• Like 1