Jump to content
The One Demon

Recommendation for Front and Rear tyres KTM 300 TPI

Recommended Posts

Hello again everyone, I'm looking for tyre recommendations for my 300 TPI... Thinking of swapping both tyres out sometime soon. I'll be running mousse tubes in front and rear. The bike came with Motoz Enduro 6 front and Motoz Tractionator on the rear, they seem alright for my riding.... My riding is VERY varied, about the only thing I haven't ridden in yet is mud and clay, we ride in beach type sand, mallee sand, bull dust, roadside trail dirt, etc, so probably looking at intermediate tyres that are good all rounders.

 

Looking for something that will last and has good traction and cornering with Mousse tubes in them.. Any recommendations on which tyres would suit best?

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say, i find the Michelin starcross 5 medium a good all round tyre

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Have to say, i find the Michelin starcross 5 medium a good all round tyre

Ill second that motion,great tyre front and rear

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, eagle said:

Have to say, i find the Michelin starcross 5 medium a good all round tyre

 

5 minutes ago, Andy350 said:


Ill second that motion,great tyre emoji108.png

Would you guys run them in front and rear or just one and another tyre in the other? Found quite a lot of people run different front and rear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Would you guys run them in front and rear or just one and another tyre in the other? Found quite a lot of people run different front and rear.

Your right mate,I was running a starcross 5 soft front which I swapped for a medium recently and found it very similar with the extra lifetime yee haa. I have run a starcross 5 soft rear in the past and great if your a racer but dont last long depending on your throttle and terrain hence I switched to a medium and loved it. Im currently running a rear shinko cheater 525 medium that Ive been impressed with but again it has worn bit more prematurely although the knobs are so flexible it still hooks up.

 

In saying all this ive tried dunlops motoz tombstones kenda pirellis but at the end of the day IMO Im sticking with Michelin. My next combo will be Michelin starcross medium front and rear which suits my riding and budget.

 

If your into hard enduro I spose youd be running Golden Tyres ultra flexible knobs etc etc.

 

Horses for courses,the good old tyre debate

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres a lot of riders including myself that wish Michelin would bring back the S12 ☹️

Ive ridden Rainbow sand before but dont have the experience to comment. Maybe @BearMX will chime in with some advice for your riding terrain.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When i used to ride Rosebud ( sand ) all the time, i used a Pirelli Scorpion Soft ;)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eagle said:

When i used to ride Rosebud ( sand ) all the time, i used a Pirelli Scorpion Soft ;)

Yeah I want to go medium because of the normal trail riding I'll be doing to on dirt and some pavement and dirt roads too, so want it to last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Theres a lot of riders including myself that wish Michelin would bring back the S12 ☹️

Ive ridden Rainbow sand before but dont have the experience to comment. Maybe @BearMX will chime in with some advice for your riding terrain.

My favourite for general riding and great sand and muddy MX track is the IRC M5B. I used to run the big 140-18 size. I used to get them direct from the distributor but I stopped using them when they changed distributor. IRC has since introduced a new version M5B evo which apparently has softer rubber compound but I haven't tried it. They're a bit pricey now too.

When picking a tyre generally soft terrain tyres have harder rubber compound with open pattern / taller knobs and hard terrain has softer rubber compound with close pattern / shorter knobs. Intermediate is in between. For your type of riding I'd be leaning towards a soft terrain tyre. The more open the pattern the more traction from digging in to a soft base like sand or mud. The softer the compound the more traction from hotter rubber sticking on a harder base like clay or rock. The softer compound also wears out quicker and in my experience can chunk knobs easier.

As with Andy I liked the original S12 as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BearMX said:

 

My favourite for general riding and great sand and muddy MX track is the IRC M5B. I used to run the big 140-18 size. I used to get them direct from the distributor but I stopped using them when they changed distributor. IRC has since introduced a new version M5B evo which apparently has softer rubber compound but I haven't tried it. They're a bit pricey now too.

When picking a tyre generally soft terrain tyres have harder rubber compound with open pattern / taller knobs and hard terrain has softer rubber compound with close pattern / shorter knobs. Intermediate is in between. For your type of riding I'd be leaning towards a soft terrain tyre. The more open the pattern the more traction from digging in to a soft base like sand or mud. The softer the compound the more traction from hotter rubber sticking on a harder base like clay or rock. The softer compound also wears out quicker and in my experience can chunk knobs easier.

As with Andy I liked the original S12 as well.

Even with the sand riding you think go the soft? We'll be riding every so often on pure sound like out in Pt Victoria (sand dunes, some good hill climbs in the sandy stuff etc). Then with Ariel we'll be doing all types of riding really.. Check out my posts in the video section if you're curious of types of riding. Like tomorrow me and @Woody982 are going out Port Victoria again and then in two weeks we are going to Acusa Park with the Ariel club (open just for Ariel club that weekend).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The One Demon said:

Even with the sand riding you think go the soft? We'll be riding every so often on pure sound like out in Pt Victoria (sand dunes, some good hill climbs in the sandy stuff etc). Then with Ariel we'll be doing all types of riding really.. Check out my posts in the video section if you're curious of types of riding. Like tomorrow me and @Woody982 are going out Port Victoria again and then next weekend we are going to Acusa Park with the Ariel club (open just for Ariel club that weekend).

Yeah, I'm saying a Soft terrain tyre (as opposed to soft rubber compound) is what I'd go with. Soft terrain is made for sand and mud. They still work in intermediate terrain as well like on the fast trails even if there's harder surfaces. They can light up on hardpack / slick clay when ridden aggressively but not much of that where you're riding. ACUSA should be fine with a soft terrain tyre as well. The outdated M5B and S12 mentioned were both soft terrain tyres. Having said that an intermediate will still work in the sand OK handling wise but will spin more when you're taking off and when riding aggressive.

Lots of people run star cross and like them. Pirellis are ok too. I've tried a few tractionator tyres and liked them because they were cheap but they don't grip so well and chunk knobs.

I don't use mousse but I'd think for sand riding; the speed / tyre temperature will kill them.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've started using dunlop mx 33 which is a soft/intermediate tyre and so far i like it as for the front i stick to my all time favorite front tyre the golden tyre fatty

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright... Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm leaning towards the GT Fatty front as I've heard a lot of praise elsewhere other than here and I'm kind of wanting to try them out and looking at either the GT GT516KE 140/80 or the Dunlops AT81 or MX53 for the rear? Not too sure on the MX33.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo I don’t think the GT Fatty is the right tyre of choice for sand riding, the Fatty is more suited for rocks & roots- same as a Gummy Rear is totally not the right tyre for sand. The Fatty would just float on top of the sand and you would have no steering-you would be better of with a Dunlop MX33 80-100-21 front & 110-100-18 rear which would cut into the sand and steer much better.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gypsy501 said:

Imo I don’t think the GT Fatty is the right tyre of choice for sand riding, the Fatty is more suited for rocks & roots-the Fatty would just float on top of the sand and you would have no steering-you would be better of with a Dunlop MX33 80-100-21 which would cut into the sand and steer much better.

Far out, I keep getting mixed up between soft compound and soft terrain tyres... 🥶

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Far out, I keep getting mixed up between soft compound and soft terrain tyres... 

I edited the post about gummy tyre isn’t the tyre for sand

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gypsy501 said:

I edited the post about gummy tyre isn’t the tyre for sand

Only thing I'm worried about is premature wear or knobs tearing off on the harder dirt (dirt roads, and dirt in trails nearby) and on transport sections on pavement. How have they been regarding these?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Only thing I'm worried about is premature wear or knobs tearing off on the harder dirt (dirt roads, and dirt in trails nearby) and on transport sections on pavement. How have they been regarding these?

Lucky you didn’t buy that $170 GT Gummy than, you would be crying after 1 ride-she would be toasted.

 

Try the Dunlop MX53 F&R then .

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need for fatty for front, bigger is better on the rear. No need for soft compound or trials compound tyres.

You generally don't chunk knobs on roads regardless of tyre types. The soft terrain tyres generally wear less on roads than hard terrain tyres. They also are noisier, vibrate more and grip less on the road or hardpack.

If you're not doing a lot of bitumen riding like Mark Marquez its not really a big factor in what you'd choose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The One Demon said:

Far out, I keep getting mixed up between soft compound and soft terrain tyres... 🥶

Its easy to get it mixed up.

Think of it as soft terrain is like a paddle in water, you don't want it bending so its gotta be harder. Hard terrain is like an eraser on paper, you want it soft and sticky to grab and stick to the surface.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

Imo I don’t think the GT Fatty is the right tyre of choice for sand riding, the Fatty is more suited for rocks & roots- same as a Gummy Rear is totally not the right tyre for sand. The Fatty would just float on top of the sand and you would have no steering-you would be better of with a Dunlop MX33 80-100-21 front & 110-100-18 rear which would cut into the sand and steer much better.

sorry but i have to disagree with that statement, the fatty is extremely good in sand as it's wider  footprint allows it to sit on the sand better as it does not cut through  and knife the front nearly as much .as a result it offers a much more stable front end feeling in loose sand and doesn't have the usual wallow feeling where it feels like the front end is wandering, i have ridden lots on sand and it works for me. now tight rutty hardpack tracks can have the wider tyre climb out of ruts sometimes and i have been told that a bike that is slower steering can be affected by the wider tyre slowing down the steering more but the ktm is like a friggin knife to steer baby!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, The One Demon said:

Alright... Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm leaning towards the GT Fatty front as I've heard a lot of praise elsewhere other than here and I'm kind of wanting to try them out and looking at either the GT GT516KE 140/80 or the Dunlops AT81 or MX53 for the rear? Not too sure on the MX33.

looking at your videos you post up i would go the mx33 for the rear , now as a disclaimer daniel milner put me onto the mx33 and there is a slight chance that he may be paid to use their tyre as he is a sponsored rider

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, orangeboy said:

looking at your videos you post up i would go the mx33 for the rear , now as a disclaimer daniel milner put me onto the mx33 and there is a slight chance that he may be paid to use their tyre as he is a sponsored rider

The Geomax tyres are really good even if you're not paid to say so. I really like the Dunlop tyres; pity they upped the prices a lot on the last distributor change a couple of years ago though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...