bluebagger

Rear tyre size for Ktm 350 excf

Hi guys. Just wondering what rear tyre size 350 owners are running. It came new with a 140/80/18 which is huge. Recently been running a Dunlop AT81 110/100/18.

The Dunlop 110-100-18 is fine for your 350excf mate- the next size up in the Dunlop is a 120-90-18.

The 110 is better for turning and tracking through ruts -the 120 will help you get more traction on the steep hills and roll over slippery roots better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluebagger said:

Hi guys. Just wondering what rear tyre size 350 owners are running. It came new with a 140/80/18 which is huge. Recently been running a Dunlop AT81 110/100/18.

140/80 is equivalent to a 120/100

• Like 2

My Sherco 300 (4t) had a 140 from new too. I've run shinko and Dunlop 120's, all good so far.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is tyre size still width by percent of width. 120 - mm wide, 90 - sidewall height is 90% of width = 108mm. 18 obviously rim size.

• Like 2

My Sherco 300 (4t) had a 140 from new too. I've run shinko and Dunlop 120's, all good so far.
Correct me if I'm wrong but is tyre size still width by percent of width. 120 - mm wide, 90 - sidewall height is 90% of width = 108mm. 18 obviously rim size.

Yes. Until you start dealing with imperial tyres... then you need to devolve your brain to understand it.
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, BushyBrows DBT said:

Tyre sizes aren't one standard. The first number is the width. 140, 120 etc are in mm and 4.60, 5.10 etc are in inches. The problem is the measurement is either across the carcass or total knob to knob. So a 120 across the carcass and 140 across the knobs can be the same width. The second number is the profile as a percentage of the width as you have noted and applies regardless of mm or inches. A tyre measured across the knobs will have a smaller profile percentage to equate to the same sidewall height as one measured across the carcass.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bluebagger said:

For general off road i like Gypsy's advice. Plenty of tyre flex / contact / traction is an advantage overall and you get more of it with tyre width.

For MX, at least for me, its easier to initiate and control rear wheel movement in corners with less width rather than more.

The OEM standard tyres can be a compromise and not a good guide as to what's best. They pick them on a balance of cost, weight and performance.

• Like 1

please advise what tyre I need to guarantee me getting up everything...lack of ability excluded.....lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, splints said:

please advise what tyre I need to guarantee me getting up everything...lack of ability excluded.....lol

The one that's installed on a tractor?

lol...bear...true story here... i was at mirboo north with my then 14yo....he was on an rm85x me a ktm 300exc 2000 i think...anyway we were riding stuff and saw a bloke riding on a tractor with a bucket at one stage...he rides I spose and I guess a local on a casual sundy arvo just doing stuff with track maintenance...said gidday to hi and off we went... anyway we dropped in a trail...very steep .... we thought easier to press on rather than get back up... 2kms or so later its time to get back up and its steep.... son the little bugger nails it.... i just can't get grip...probably include lack of ability...lol

anyway it is getting a bit dark not too much.. i have  nick at the top... me at the bottom on try 3 and starting to think oh shit.... all of a sudden i here a rumble and the tractor man rocks up at the bottom of the hill...**** if I know how he got there... there was some tight/wet/ shit to get thru....anyway he picked me up in the bucket bike and all and drove up th 50m or so hill...... we rode back up responsibility  bw the properties back to the car and off we went....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, splints said:

lol...bear...true story here... i was at mirboo north with my then 14yo....he was on an rm85x me a ktm 300exc 2000 i think...anyway we were riding stuff and saw a bloke riding on a tractor with a bucket at one stage...he rides I spose and I guess a local on a casual sundy arvo just doing stuff with track maintenance...said gidday to hi and off we went... anyway we dropped in a trail...very steep .... we thought easier to press on rather than get back up... 2kms or so later its time to get back up and its steep.... son the little bugger nails it.... i just can't get grip...probably include lack of ability...lol

anyway it is getting a bit dark not too much.. i have  nick at the top... me at the bottom on try 3 and starting to think oh shit.... all of a sudden i here a rumble and the tractor man rocks up at the bottom of the hill...**** if I know how he got there... there was some tight/wet/ shit to get thru....anyway he picked me up in the bucket bike and all and drove up th 50m or so hill...... we rode back up responsibility  bw the properties back to the car and off we went....

Nice one. Bike / rider in the bucket also helps to keep the front end down.