TRAILZ

Anyone up for the C-19 6 week lockdown weight challenge?

6 weeks is ample time to whip your body into shape and mind into shape. You won't be able to shed loads of body fat (if you're interested in healthy, sustainable fat loss) but 6 weeks is long enough to form and sustain healthy habits that will make you feel more confident. :mangiare-02:

I'm planning to shed 6 kgs if possible and with the recent supermarket panic buying I'm guessing chips will be off the shelf pretty soon hahaha. Yes, you can lose weight in 6 weeks, but it might not be as much if you took 6 weeks to starve yourself and work at a ridiculous pace... and best of all be fitter on the bike coz I'm guessing there will be plenty of summer rides posted... :tuffo-01:

So I'm throwing out the challenge - does anyone want to take the C-19 6 week lockdown weight challenge?

For the next 6 weeks I'm personally gonna weigh myself each week and with your support and banter to help (not hinder hahaha) each other in getting there.. if you want to do the same copy the below and each week add your current weight, goal weight and actual weight... :drz(7):

Week 1.  Current weight 86.3kg > Goal weight  85.3kg  > Actual Weight at end of the week  kg

Week 2. Current weight  kg > Goal weight    kg  > Actual Weight at end of the week   kg

Week 3. Current weight  kg > Goal weight    kg  > Actual Weight at end of the week   kg

Week 4. Current weight  kg > Goal weight    kg  > Actual Weight at end of the week   kg

Week 5. Current weight  kg > Goal weight    kg  > Actual Weight at end of the week   kg

Week 6. Current weight  kg > Goal weight    kg  > Actual Weight at end of the week   kg

• Like 13

I did this last summer. Got super fit and trim. 

Half an hour workout each day and eating well is all I did.

• Like 10

Funny post trailz; I haven't been in the 80 kg range since the 1980's. Sounds to me you need to be putting on weight.

Jokes aside I had no energy on my ride today and had to pull out. I just knocked off a couple of pizzas but now that I've read this I might give it a go too. I'll weigh myself tomorrow though in case the reading gives me nightmares tonight.

What sort of exercise (shock / horror) are you thinking of?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, cruiser said:

I did this last summer. Got super fit and trim. 

Half an hour workout each day and eating well is all I did.

What did you do for your hour exercise each day? @cruiser

2 hours ago, BearMX said:

Funny post trailz; I haven't been in the 80 kg range since the 1980's. Sounds to me you need to be putting on weight.

Jokes aside I had no energy on my ride today and had to pull out. I just knocked off a couple of pizzas but now that I've read this I might give it a go too. I'll weigh myself tomorrow though in case the reading gives me nightmares tonight.

What sort of exercise (shock / horror) are you thinking of?

hahaha good question @BearMX I'm no personal trainer, and if anyone wants to help us please feel free to reply. Over the years I've kept reasonably fit playing footy, swimming, cycling, running and weight training.

I did google a few things to keep me focused on achieving my goal and the below 7 things stood out;

1. Know what you eat. Whatever you eat, make sure that you know what it is:

At the present time if I keep on eating whatever I want, I will definitely not be able to lose weight so I'm cutting down on my chippies intake. Protein is important and avoid carbohydrates.

2. Avoid junk foods:

it is important for me to let my taste buds flow at times because the only way to accept temptation is to yield to it. Maybe eat junk food once a week, but control the quantity.

3. Exercise:

Plenty of cardio, some resistance training to build lean muscle mass and of course, consistency (as @cruiser pointed out regular brisk walks 30 min to an hour each day). I've got some weights I can use or use what is around ie squats or step ups using stairs. 

You need to lose about 3,500 calories per week in order to lose 0.5kg of fat. In the average 60kg person brisk walking alone - this is about 6.4klm per hour - for 1/2 hour uses up around 150 calories.

4. Drinking as much water as possible:

Our body relies on water to function. It's important for exercise as well, and one of the great benefits of drinking water is that it can help to offset hunger and cravings. Next time I'm feeling hungry I'm gonna grab a glass of water!

5. Try to eliminate starch and sugar in the diet you consume:

This is because they are easy and fast sources of energy for the body. Any sugar that will not be used in your body will be turned into fat; therefore if you limit it, you will be able to lose 10 kgs of weight in 30 days. Although mine is to lose 6kgs in 6 weeks!

6. Get enough sleep:

Experts have revealed that hormones which trigger appetite for our bodies become active if you do not have enough sleep. this can make us eat a lot of food thereby gain a lot of weight since we will have a desire to eat a lot of carbohydrates. And I'm going to bed soon coz it's getting late...

7. Hit the pavement/treadmill:

Running is the healthiest way of losing weight. It keeps your body energised, builds stamina and significantly increases the calorie burning process within your body. For people who want to lose weight without having to do much, this is a great idea. I'm planning to start my 12 minute runs that I used to do at slow pace and gradually building it up to a faster pace each week combined with a bike ride and some light hand weights (or improvise if you don't have weights).

If anyone has any suggestions or tips feel free to share em, so we can motivate each other to get back on the pegs fitter and stronger... remember we usually ride for 4-5 hours on a given weekday/weekend - over the next 6 weeks that time could be spread out throughout the week to achieve your goal of keeping fit!

• Like 5

My advice would be, don’t over complicate things.

Eat right. Eat healthy. Avoid complex carbs, eat plenty of protein and veges.

At LEAST 30 minutes of cardio EVERY DAY. If you can, do it morning and night, even if it’s just walking the dog. Aim to get your heart rate above 120bpm.

Don’t bother with weighted resistance training, just do body weight exercises, sit ups, push ups, squats, lunges, burpees (if you can).

All of these exercises will contribute to your riding;
Sit ups - Core and Hip Flexors
Push ups - Chest and Shoulders
Squats - Glutes and Lower Back
Lunges - Quads and Hamstrings
Burpees - A bit of everything from the ribs down

• Like 8

8 hours ago, TRAILZ said:

What did you do for your hour exercise each day? @cruiser

I did a lot of jumping around.lol. basically I did my workout with emphasis on cardio. No running, jogging or long walks.

All was done in my Gym. Star jumps push ups. chin ups sit ups. After a while I incorporated some weights. 

The point is I didnt diet and I didnt do heavy workouts. That would not have been sustainable.

I used to come home from work looking forward to my workout. Once you see it as a chore. Or try to do too much. Restrict your eating too much. You WILL get burnout and miss days for your workouts.

Remember. Motivation is what got you into a workout/eat right routine.

Discipline is what will keep you there.

Most important. no one is saying that you must do an hour.

Half an hour of intense workout is great. Everyone can find half an hour each day. Not always easy with life to commit to an hour. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cruiser said:

Remember. Motivation is what got you into a workout/eat right routine.

Discipline is what will keep you there.

That's sound advise right there!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

My advice would be, don’t over complicate things.

Eat right. Eat healthy. Avoid complex carbs, eat plenty of protein and veges.

At LEAST 30 minutes of cardio EVERY DAY. If you can, do it morning and night, even if it’s just walking the dog. Aim to get your heart rate above 120bpm.

Don’t bother with weighted resistance training, just do body weight exercises, sit ups, push ups, squats, lunges, burpees (if you can).

All of these exercises will contribute to your riding;
Sit ups - Core and Hip Flexors
Push ups - Chest and Shoulders
Squats - Glutes and Lower Back
Lunges - Quads and Hamstrings
Burpees - A bit of everything from the ribs down emoji6.png

Great advice there @Murdoch finished an intense 40min session this morning: push-ups, squats and a run.

Will include some more this afternoon 😷 feeling good about it!

• Like 2

I've never understood the theory of weight loss and fitness in the same sentence?

Trailz, l've listen to this bloke on a few podcasts and, to me, he makes sense and what he says is pretty common sense:

It's from the Gypsy Tales podcast, it is long and l did listen to all 3hrs of it!!
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL2d5cHN5LXRhbGVz/episode/Z2lkOi8vYXJ0MTktZXBpc29kZS1sb2NhdG9yL1YwL0Y2cXlQdkhFeDF3QVpOdkgzNmdQMFFfdGRnX2M1d0MxYmtQNnFGMGFMSU0?hl=en-AU&ved=2ahUKEwjMlse6777qAhWxyjgGHdy1BpwQjrkEegQIChAE&ep=6

• Like 3

Yr weight loss offer had my name all over it.
& just to make lfe harder I've done a chiropractic on my back so in pain, not very mobile & cant stretch or exercise.
I'm currently 115kg
My overall goal is to lose 40kg.
Havent been that since i broke both knees 15 years ago.
Ive had a 2 week headstart & already lost 6kgs in 10days doing zero carb& sugar diet with OptiSlim meal replacements for breakfast & lunch & only 1 proper meal being meat & veg only dinner. Drinking plenty of water, mayb snack on walnuts or small portion grilled chicken around lunch if i get hormonal. But its already paying off with zero exercise. Weighing myself each morning & seeing the results.
My goal is to lose a min of 3kg each week.
Ive still got a long way to go.

So I'm in !

• Like 7

4 hours ago, ouzo said:

Yr weight loss offer had my name all over it.
& just to make lfe harder I've done a chiropractic on my back so in pain, not very mobile & cant stretch or exercise.
I'm currently 115kg
My overall goal is to lose 40kg.
Havent been that since i broke both knees 15 years ago.
Ive had a 2 week headstart & already lost 6kgs in 10days doing zero carb& sugar diet with OptiSlim meal replacements for breakfast & lunch & only 1 proper meal being meat & veg only dinner. Drinking plenty of water, mayb snack on walnuts or small portion grilled chicken around lunch if i get hormonal. But its already paying off with zero exercise. Weighing myself each morning & seeing the results.
My goal is to lose a min of 3kg each week.
Ive still got a long way to go.

So I'm in !

Low carb diets are awesome for weight loss. I did Atkins in the mid 90s and I lost weight and picked up heaps in energy. It also made exercising tolerable. But, unfortunately with my addiction to carbs and a Greek household it was impossible to stick to.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ohmygewd said:

I've never understood the theory of weight loss and fitness in the same sentence?

Trailz, l've listen to this bloke on a few podcasts and, to me, he makes sense and what he says is pretty common sense:

It's from the Gypsy Tales podcast, it is long and l did listen to all 3hrs of it!!
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL2d5cHN5LXRhbGVz/episode/Z2lkOi8vYXJ0MTktZXBpc29kZS1sb2NhdG9yL1YwL0Y2cXlQdkhFeDF3QVpOdkgzNmdQMFFfdGRnX2M1d0MxYmtQNnFGMGFMSU0?hl=en-AU&ved=2ahUKEwjMlse6777qAhWxyjgGHdy1BpwQjrkEegQIChAE&ep=6

@ohmygewd did you snack during the podcast or on the treadmill with water bottle at the ready?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ouzo said:

So I'm in !

Good on you @ouzo for setting a goal and remaining positive during the current lockdown.

• Like 2

Good thread, hopefully we can share experience.

My lockdown goal is to run 5km in less than 25 mins.  Did day 1 of a similar 3 week plan and it wasn't so bad, and I fkn hate running.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TRAILZ said:

@ohmygewd did you snack during the podcast or on the treadmill with water bottle at the ready?

LoL@Trailz...funnily enough l was doing the shopping.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, silent said:

Good thread, hopefully we can share experience.

My lockdown goal is to run 5km in less than 25 mins.  Did day 1 of a similar 3 week plan and it wasn't so bad, and I fkn hate running.

@silent thanks for sharing and great to hear you're keeping motivated during lockdown. Are you building up to the 5ks?

13 hours ago, ohmygewd said:

LoL@Trailz...funnily enough l was doing the shopping.

shopping for fruit n veggies? Or chippies?

I'm on day 4 of this, seems to be working as I can now do my 1km reference sprint in 5 mins without stopping compared to last week.  

image.png.245c6c9b37d4ab51ff4f5d3e3f826d13.png

5 hours ago, TRAILZ said:

@silent thanks for sharing and great to hear you're keeping motivated during lockdown. Are you building up to the 5ks?

• Like 2

I can't believe it Trailz, you've really sparked me up. My first target done! I'm targeting to set weight targets by Sunday night (that's record breaking timing for someone like me who is prone to lengthy hibernating)

• Like 4

I'm reading this as I'm eating a large capricciosa with a small nutella pizza for dessert..

I regret nothing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Ruger said:

I'm reading this as I'm eating a large capricciosa with a small nutella pizza for dessert..

I regret nothing!

I'm jealous; I'm having to slum it with Chinese style sticky pork belly and coconut rice diet coke and no desert. I'm regretting skipping desert.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BearMX said:

I can't believe it Trailz, you've really sparked me up. My first target done! I'm targeting to set weight targets by Sunday night (that's record breaking timing for someone like me who is prone to lengthy hibernating)

Do your research Bear and look at lots of weight targets for some time. 

Just to make sure you are making an informed decision.

Then there is picking the exercises you want or need to do.....Mine field right there. It takes forever to write up  a program.

But it will be worth it once you start using it.:saltocorda-01:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good on you [mention=4494]ouzo[/mention] for setting a goal and remaining positive during the current lockdown.
Onya Trailz. You keep rootin for me !
Subtract another 2.5kgs since last weigh in 2 days ago. WTF !!!
Plus no chance of any exercise while I'm nursing a strained lower back till august
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Onya Trailz. You keep rootin for me !
Subtract another 2.5kgs since last weigh in 2 days ago. WTF !!!
Plus no chance of any exercise while I'm nursing a strained lower back till august

Go Ouzo, weight loss and exercise (appropriate for your strained back) is a great way to improve a bad back (been there myself many times). Oh yeah, ditch the KTM, those things make you shorter every time you ride them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, silent said:

I'm on day 4 of this, seems to be working as I can now do my 1km reference sprint in 5 mins without stopping compared to last week.  

image.png.245c6c9b37d4ab51ff4f5d3e3f826d13.png

That's awesum! Building up to your goal. Small wins for long term gains.

• Like 2