Tim.P

Bike storage

firstly if this has already been covered I apologise.

Okay, so I've recently moved and the new place doesn't have as big of a garage which means either a car stays out or the bikes need somewhere else to sleep. 

I stole 3X3m of my yard, poured a slab and erected a colorbond shed, beauty it's tucked away at the back both cars in happy days. Except for one small problem, its cold and damp outside which of course means condensation. 

I walked into the shed and the bikes were literally wet! They were covered with blankets (not touching the floor) with the blankets being damp also. After seeing this I put them back in the garage and kicked the mrs car out.

Obviously insulation would help but I've never seen anyone go this far for a garden shed.

I can't be the only one storing a bike in the shed so what do you guys/girls do to prevent rust and moisture getting in and around everything? I get "its a dirtbike they get wet" but getting it muddy and wet on a weekend is different to it being moist every night for weeks at a time through winter.

SO, what do you do? Carpet under the bikes, special covers or just move them all together?? Or am I just being too pedantic about it 

20200623_115437.jpg

20200628_234425.jpg

Maybe when you tuck it in at night leave its electric blanket on 1 so it survives the night! Only joking. Could you put some insulation/lining on the roof of the shed to assist in insulating the shed? I have none in mine but its a lot bigger so I guess that makes a big difference. I know under my pergola it is practically raining after some big frosts in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mate some of the google searches I did weren't far off suggestions like that lol one was "use a light cover and run a fan or heater" I have no power in there so it's out but would it be if I did... haha

Yeah I'm getting a little bit of that which is a pain because I didn't have the space to go any bigger 

It cant be helped tin roofs cause condensation. Sisolation paper under the roof will catch the condensation and run it to the outside. Its your only option for condensation.

You could go one step further and use a siso blanket or thermal insulation. 

Just because no one does it. does no mean its not  good idea.

A couple of screws and a bit of silicone will hold it up to the roof sheets. Unscrew the roof from the wall and let the siso travel through. screw it back up again.

You dont need the siso to be touching the roof. a little bit of space between the roof sheet and siso is a good thing.

• Like 3

+1 for sisalation.

If you do cover the bike with a waterproof covering - make sure you air the cover and bike as often as possible.

Just as the cover keeps moisture out, it will also keep it in which will lead to problems if left for long periods.

• Like 1

I have a similar sized shed for the bike only

Constructed myself from timber frame and hardi sheets on the outside

But for the roof I used coolroom panels 50mm thick and placed corrogated sheets over the top for rain etc

No issues with moisture/condensation and temps are quite stable winter and summer, 89a3fa09374716b57721e5f0df70b75e.jpg&key=b1e558fb5c96e642db5c77d23b6a5009b6c48a07c2741fa15877ae8221005e94

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like sisalation will be something to look at. It was -1 here last night so obviously everything was frozen and wet. When it gets like that I don't think much can help a tin shed.

My main concern is moisture playing with the electrics and getting into everything but without insulating it properly I don't know what will do the trick bar changing the temperature inside the shed or circulating the air. That being said maybe the garage is the best place for them atm 

@ohmygewd I have a few blankets that were going to be thrown away so they're sitting pretty under them. I think I'm being a little too pedantic with it but when you spend that much money and time on it it's silly nit to protect it 

1 hour ago, Tim.P said:

@ohmygewd I have a few blankets that were going to be thrown away so they're sitting pretty under them. I think I'm being a little too pedantic with it but when you spend that much money and time on it it's silly nit to protect it 

I hear ya!!

which one do you like the most your bike or the misses?

you can kick the misses out of the bedroom and have the bike in the room with you lol 

• Like 1

@ktm-sean 😂 might settle for the spare room because i think she'll kill my ass before the bike would lol

@dalesween I have pulled them inside before to do light work and if looks could kill I'd have been dead on the spot. She hit me with "do you know what those floorboards cost? I replied yes because I paid for them!" Not much was said bar please don't scratch them lol

@Dann what a set up! Escape all the cold, rain even heat. I wish

I had my last bike in a couple times but needless to say people thought I had lost the plot 

Screenshot_20200629-205116_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

Had a bit of a moment there but I worked it out. 

As a bachelor I have 6 bikes in the house and my lounge room set up as a workshop with 2 benches and some yellow tongue to protect the floor. It's not for everyone. 

WD40 is your friend! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tim.P said:

@ktm-sean 😂 might settle for the spare room because i think she'll kill my ass before the bike would lol

@dalesween I have pulled them inside before to do light work and if looks could kill I'd have been dead on the spot. She hit me with "do you know what those floorboards cost? I replied yes because I paid for them!" Not much was said bar please don't scratch them lol

@Dann what a set up! Escape all the cold, rain even heat. I wish

I had my last bike in a couple times but needless to say people thought I had lost the plot 

Screenshot_20200629-205116_Gallery.jpg

Yeah it's great. Wath tv, crank the tunes, dinner going on the stove etc but fresh chain lube and freshly oiled filters are best kept outside otherwise it makes my eyes water lol!

3ae9d54abae4c2a9aea9791aa6bfdc41.jpg
Tim- if you spray your bike with inox - you won’t have to worry about rust or water getting into your electrics. ( don’t spray your seat grips tyres & brake discs ) give everything else a good over with.

• Like 1

@Gypsy501 I usually use wd40 on the bike while some say not to I've never had a problem coating the motor after washing it, repels water and easier to clean later. I think this stuff lasts longer though 

[mention=3102]Gypsy501[/mention] I usually use wd40 on the bike while some say not to I've never had a problem coating the motor after washing it, repels water and easier to clean later. I think this stuff lasts longer though 

Definitely lasts longer, WD40 drys out to quickly.
  • Like 1

Easy.

Option 1. Build a carport for the car. Keep your bike in the garage. If no room for a carport move to

option 2. park it in the driveway and tell her the garage dosnt fit her car. Trick is to keep enough shit in your garage and messy enough that she wont attempt cleaning it. When she has done your head in enough to tidy it up to get her car in that you actually do it, make sure before she gets to used to it that you bring more shit home to fill it with. The bringing shit home part should be done while she is not home. 

This has always worked for me. You get used to the nagging pretty quick and after a few years of repeating this process shell give up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5