Adste450

TIME FOR A NEW HELMET $300-800.

HI FOLKS

After a fight with a tree, (head first) sorry to say I need anew helmet.   my last one was M2R 3 which was good but after almost giving away riding for good.

I now have the need for a new one. 

SO...….

I'm after advise on which offer the  best (I know what you can afford is the normal answer) protection.  yes I could afford $1000 but I don't see the need if a $400 or 600 or $800 will do the job.

I've had my eye on so far.

Alpine stars  SM8 or 10

FLY

M2R 4.5

appreciate your views

thanks ADAM.

Mate, any helmet bought from a legitimate supplier is going to meet relevant standards, be it DOT or ADRs etc as you would no doubt know

So it really comes down to comfort, features, weight, air flow etc... And the importance order of those will vary from person to person

For me personally, I have lifelong neck issues so my number one thing now with helmets is weight 200/300/400 grams difference has a real effect over the course of a day...

Then for me it's comfort (actually, comfort and weight are equally important I guess!) Followed by suitability to different goggles - when trying them on, when I find ont that I think might be the one, I wander over the goggles and hold different pair to my eyes to see how they fit

Then it's ease of removing pads and liners etc

Currently wear a Soumy which was the lightest available after an Airoh which at the time I couldn't afford, its been great, light and a perfect fit.

I had an Arai prior to that which cost a fortune but I rushed into it and it was bloody heavy

Next will either be a Leatt or an Airoh
Surprisingly with the Leatt the dearest model is quite a bit heavier then the one below it - I'll be going the one below (which is think is the 5.5), comfortable, light, great airflow and designed to go with my neck brace

The Airoh is the cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned but for my head shape I'll need to buy the helmet in one size and then buy cheek pads in a different size so it becomes even more expensive!

Make sure you don't make the same mistake I did with my Arai - it was the perfect fit in the shop but after 2 rides the cheek pads became quite loose so I had to but new pads - from memory I had a large helmet and needed to buy medium pads... Always buy tight!

Good luck

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, 2t4me said:

Mate, any helmet bought from a legitimate supplier is going to meet relevant standards, be it DOT or ADRs etc as you would no doubt know

So it really comes down to comfort, features, weight, air flow etc... And the importance order of those will vary from person to person

For me personally, I have lifelong neck issues so my number one thing now with helmets is weight 200/300/400 grams difference has a real effect over the course of a day...

Then for me it's comfort (actually, comfort and weight are equally important I guess!) Followed by suitability to different goggles - when trying them on, when I find ont that I think might be the one, I wander over the goggles and hold different pair to my eyes to see how they fit

Currently wear a Soumy which was the lightest available after an Airoh which at the time I couldn't afford, its been great, light and a perfect fit.

I had an Arai prior to that which cost a fortune but I rushed into it and it was bloody heavy

Surprisingly with the Leatt the dearest model is quite a bit heavier then the one below it - I'll be going the one below (which is think is the 5.5), comfortable, light, great airflow and designed to go with my neck brace

The Airoh is the cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned but for my head shape I'll need to buy the helmet in one size and then buy cheek pads in a different size so it becomes even more expensive!

Make sure you don't make the same mistake I did with my Arai - it was the perfect fit in the shop but after 2 rides the cheek pads became quite loose so I had to but new pads - from memory I had a large helmet and needed to buy medium pads... Always buy tight!

Good luck

Thumbs up for Leatt 5.5

Ticked all the boxes for me personally but every noggen is different...

• Like 3

I bought a Airoh twist helmet few years back for just over $300. Light weight great design and has saved my gumby brick head quite a few times. The internal padding is still going strong and removable for cleaning purposes. Ive had a few riders ask me about it thinking its worth big coin on the contrary. Great bang for your bucks without spending $900 on they’re premium range. Ill be a return customer for sure,hope this helped you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

+1 on the Airoh Twist , both me an my son have them , paid 200ish for plain black , 250 ish for the twist punk 🤘 

Screenshot_20200521-164031_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mick said:

+1 on the Airoh Twist , both me an my son have them , paid 200ish for plain black , 250 ish for the twist punk 🤘 

Screenshot_20200521-164031_Gallery.jpg

Wow ok.  I’ve had concerns about how light these helmets are.    They look great though 

ive been looking at MIPS protection but FLY have an interesting system which I think is better than MIPS 

M2R have halo also.   

• Like 1

Leatt 5.5 for me , I need a helmet that’s light weight and offer heaps of airflow , after looking at them all the leatt offers the best airflow .

I would like the Airoh Avaitotor 2.2 but they don’t do a 2xl for my big boff.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

Leatt 5.5 for me , I need a helmet that’s light weight and offer heaps of airflow , after looking at them all the leatt offers the best airflow .

Just shave your head mate ;)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

At the end of the day Adste the recommended advice is if your helmet has sustained a couple of hard knocks you need to throw it out. In relation to all helmets on the market they meet all regulations. With the risks we all take including all our bodies protection it comes down to comfort weight and looks. My head has been hit a hundred thousand times in the past. I would be more worried about your movable joints. As [mention=3102]GYPSY501[/mention] said the ventilation is the only point i reckon you need to consider depending on your budget

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

Oh and they also have grooves within the helmet to link to your hydration pack. Instead of drilling holes in your helmet..

https://youtu.be/EIwQ5XR3kSw

• Haha 1

Hey mate, I’ve got an airoh ($850 I think) and a fox V4 mips.

I find the fox is heavy but cooler than the airoh and was about $400 on special. Super comfy but heavy, and probably safer.

my “go to” helmet is the airoh. Love how light it is. Dunno how safe it is in comparison, but it’s comfy enough and, did I say light

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2t4me said:

Good luck

Good advice 

• Like 1

Got a Airoh Aviator 2.2

The Good..Super Light,Great Air flow,Pads have kept their shape(200hrs)

The Bad...Very Expensive (When its in bits for cleaning its seems way way over priced) Goggle fitment.

Would i buy another one.....Yep it fits my head.

• Like 2

MCAS Always have awesome clearance sales going, best to swing past one of their shops if you get a chance.

• Like 2

I usually spend 4 - 600 hundred on a helmet. Back when bell 9's were being raved about I got suckered in and bought one and it was the hottest and dearest helmet I've bought I think. My current lid is an Airoh Aviator 2.2 and wow is that thing light and airey. Almost feels unsafe but I really like it. AMX Geelong when they opened up had a pallet of them for $400 each all one color scheme. Now if you ride down this way there are lots on the trails

• Like 2

so I good question for everyone??

how firm should your helmet be?

comfortable around the face with some (little sideway )movement?  large for my head

or quite tight around the face(compressed almost. tight around the jaw.  medium for my head.

• Confused 1

comfortable around the face with some (little sideway )movement?  large for my head
or quite tight around the face(compressed almost. tight around the jaw.  medium for my head.
This is a good question

Not saying this is gospel, but from my experience I think it pays to get feedback on people's experience with individual helmets...

I say this as some cheek pads seem to "wear in" and some don't.....

My Arai when purchased was a nice snug firm fit (in my opinion seemed perfect) but after 2 rides the cheek pads had softened up quite a bit and the helmet felt sloppy - had to buy replacement pads from a smaller helmet...

My Soumy was also a tight snug (perfect) fit and whilst the pads did soften a little I would still consider it a perfect fit!

To throw another cog in the puzzle - not all helmets allow for different size cheek pads to be added, the Arai for example only had 2 different shell sizes across the range so the pads were different thicknesses....
Was reading this week that one (can't recall if it was the Leatt or the Alpine Star) has a different shell size for each size....

2 hours ago, Adste450 said:

IMO - Get fitted tight to your noggen. If it moves around when trying it on... multiply that movement tenfold when on the pegs.

Try as many helmets you can to find what fits you best! Only you can answer that...