maccastrewth

'17 TE300 - Lectron or Keihin + New Head?

On 5/19/2020 at 1:26 PM, Gypsy501 said:

Take the bike to Louie at PLATNIUM motorcycles in East Keilor get him to look at it mate.

Got the bike back y'day.  There was a JD kit in there, but the pilot jet was on the lean side.  Jetting issue solved for the most part.

However, during test ride, Louie noticed what I was saying in that there was no power.. just noise and revs.  Luckily for me, he was able to diagnose a cooked clutch.  Clutch has been replaced and I rode the bike at Dissa today and it's a completely different beast.  Like.. I have no idea how I even managed previously.  Like learning to ride a new bike again.

I guess all this time my focus was in the wrong spot.  Also, while I'm a bit of a mechanical noob, I'd have though I'd notice a slipping clutch, but it never even occurred to me.  I'm guessing it just got worse over time and I got used to it.

Thanks for all those who gave input into this thread.  Ultimately it cost me far less than if I'd have changed the carb because the clutch would have had to follow anyway.  Beers on me fellas.

Happy long weekend.

• Like 8

For anyone with a Mikuni TMX carb.. Ensure that you've changed out the jet block gasket prior to attempting to tune the carb. 

The existing gasket is garbage (see mine below) and will have you running rich down low. 

JD jetting make the kit. Google "JD jet block gasket". Costs $30 delivered from jdjetting.com.au 

Heaps of videos online showing how to remove and install. Easy. 

received_574225519905115.jpeg

• Like 5

On 7/1/2020 at 8:36 PM, maccastrewth said:

For anyone with a Mikuni TMX carb.. 

So is it sorted ??

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mick said:

So is it sorted ??

It's an evolving story.  Tomorrow will be first ride with new jetting (again), slide mod, JD jet block gasket kit..  It's feels very different in the back yard.  Basically what's going on in this thread with some minor differences.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, maccastrewth said:

It's an evolving story.  

Good luck with it . your patience is greater than mine

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mick said:

Good luck with it . your patience if greater than mine

I hear ya.  It's all pretty new to me, so for the most part I'm happy to learn how things work.  I've only been riding for a few years and have only started to attempt to fix things myself more recently.  

When I move on from this bike, I'll take with me a bunch of knowledge I didn't have when I bought it.  Hopefully next it'll be a new TPI.

• Like 5

I hear ya.  It's all pretty new to me, so for the most part I'm happy to learn how things work.  I've only been riding for a few years and have only started to attempt to fix things myself more recently.  
When I move on from this bike, I'll take with me a bunch of knowledge I didn't have when I bought it.  Hopefully next it'll be a new TPI.

Your doing well Macca, save your money for the tpi & work with what you have for the time been.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/3/2020 at 6:08 PM, maccastrewth said:

Hopefully next it'll be a new TPI.

Hows that mikuni running now.? Still find it funny about every second day on the Ktm FB page someones either asking for a Keihin or wanting help with their on going Tmx38 issues . Poor buggers🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 3

Hows that mikuni running now.? Still find it funny about every second day on the Ktm FB page someones either asking for a Keihin or wanting help with their on going Tmx38 issues . Poor buggers 

Yes I agree with you Mick, poor buggers-save there money and headaches, just buy a tpi .
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, mick said:

Hows that mikuni running now.? Still find it funny about every second day on the Ktm FB page someones either asking for a Keihin or wanting help with their on going Tmx38 issues . Poor buggers🤷‍♂️ 

Hey mate, I'm about 7 hrs in on the new setup now.  It runs great.  It's really made a difference to the point where I don't think about it anymore.  I've also noticed my ability to lug the bike around has drastically improved.  Makes me much more confident riding.  I don't believe it'll ever quite have the exact same feel of a Keihin, but it's miles cheaper and pretty easy to do.  That thumpertalk thread with 90 odd pages is worth the read.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

Yes I agree with you Mick, poor buggers-save there money and headaches, just buy a tpi .

I agree mostly, but the upgrade to TPI is at minimum 4k (using Crusty's as an example) for second hand.  That's if mine sold at 9k, which may takes ages.  

What are your thoughts on the Sherco's Vs. TPI's?  They come standard with the Keihin.

I agree mostly, but the upgrade to TPI is at minimum 4k (using Crusty's as an example) for second hand.  That's if mine sold at 9k, which may takes ages.   What are your thoughts on the Sherco's Vs. TPI's?  They come standard with the Keihin. 

I really like the Sherco’s especially the 300 4t - I still talk about it now-one of the best handling bikes iv ridden was Pudmuds 2015 Factory 300 4t - at the time I think they came out with the CC FORKS . Sherco’s linkage system is the highest tucked up out of the way then all the brands & the bikes come out with all the top quality components. 

For me a weekend warrior trail rider the 2020 ktm tpi works better for me over a 2020 Sherco factory 2t - ( my experience & my opinion ) The Sherco’s vibrates to much for me to ride for 5mins - the KYBs are way to harsh- they are more expensive than the ktm & parts are a long wait - mixing fuel - jetting - losing fuel ever time you drop your bike all these things come into play when deciding to buy.

Would I buy a Sherco? Yes I would definitely buy a Sherco Standard or Sixdays 300 4t- non KYBs- I don’t ride hard or fast enough for them forks to work for me without spending money and getting the Valving done buy a professional suspension tuner.

Once again- Please anyone don’t get offended this is only my experience & my opinion.

• Like 7

The 2015 Sherco has the oc  WP fork which i think is pretty good for trail riding, their easy to work on & can be made to work pretty well, even the oc WP fork on my 2000 exc 400 work pretty well. I'm thinking, the more they play with the forks the harder it is for the average Joe to get them right, it all comes back to the old KISS method ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eagle said:

The 2015 Sherco has the oc  WP fork which i think is pretty good for trail riding, there easy to work on & can be made to work pretty well, even the oc WP fork on my 2000 exc 400 work pretty well. I'm thinking, the more they play with the forks the harder it is for the average Joe to get them right, it all comes back to the old KISS method ;)

Good point Eagle; modern forks are the evolution of predominantly MX R&D.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 5:41 PM, maccastrewth said:

I'd have though I'd notice a slipping clutch, but it never even occurred to me.  I'm guessing it just got worse over time and I got used to it.

Glad you got your bike sorted Maccastrewth. On the above quote, I might be able to relate. When cruiser hosted an awesome Satdy ride the day before the Stockmans Rally, I thought I was just loosing traction and giving it heaps of throttle but still had a cracking day. Come the Rally on the Sunday and relatively easy and greasy trails, lots of riders to overtake and trying to keep up with RustyO and I thought I was smashing it. I thought my rear tyre was spinning out of every corner of the wet ground and I was probably grinning stupidly under the helmet. We get to the one hard part for the day a steep and slippery hill climb and I'm overtaking heaps of people going up and about 5/6 of the way up, I loose drive and the mighty Berg decides its had enough. Long story mildly short, I had burnt out the clutch and I didn't even know it. THe last 1/6th was not fun to get the Berg up the hill, neither was getting dunk most of the remainder of the course cause its one way back to the car for recovery.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MrNoodle said:

Glad you got your bike sorted Maccastrewth. On the above quote, I might be able to relate. When cruiser hosted an awesome Satdy ride the day before the Stockmans Rally, I thought I was just loosing traction and giving it heaps of throttle but still had a cracking day. Come the Rally on the Sunday and relatively easy and greasy trails, lots of riders to overtake and trying to keep up with RustyO and I thought I was smashing it. I thought my rear tyre was spinning out of every corner of the wet ground and I was probably grinning stupidly under the helmet. We get to the one hard part for the day a steep and slippery hill climb and I'm overtaking heaps of people going up and about 5/6 of the way up, I loose drive and the mighty Berg decides its had enough. Long story mildly short, I had burnt out the clutch and I didn't even know it. THe last 1/6th was not fun to get the Berg up the hill, neither was getting dunk most of the remainder of the course cause its one way back to the car for recovery.

Thanks for the moral support and quality story.  The part in bold above reminds me of the way I feel all the time when I reckon I've got stuff under control but it turns out I'm just a newb.  Another reason to love this humbling sport.

It's a good idea, where possible, to jump others' bikes and see how they ride in comparison.  Especially if the bike is the same as yours'.   It certainly highlighted a few areas where I'd just gotten used to things that weren't quite right.

• Like 1