'17 TE300 - Lectron or Keihin + New Head?

I know it's been done a bit before, but I just need a bit of a kick in the butt to make up my mind.   My bike's awesome, but the Mikuni has to go, I need some useable bottom end power.  About to pull the trigger on one of these purchases.

Is the Lectron worth considering?  Should I get the 36mm or the 38mm Keihin?  Should I whack on a TSP CNC head also?  For the price of the Lectron I can have both the Keihin and new head.  

Would love to hear some opinions and suggestions.  Thank you

• Like 1

Macca what do you mean when you say you need usable bottom end power?

Have you adjusted your power valve screw?

Have you played around with different coloured springs?

Have you put a JD jetting kit in.

My thoughts of throwing $1000 into a bike for more engine performances is nuts.

Try and work with what you have got mate -

Have you had the Mikuni jetted buy a professional?

The Mikuni runs awesome once Jetted right

Take the bike to Louie at PLATNIUM motorcycles in East Keilor get him to look at it mate.

Seriously save your money mate

Only my opinion guys don’t shoot me down

• Like 9

Keihin 36 pwk airstyker - jet and forget.:sorriso-02:      Do the research .A google search on 17-18 model mikuni carb swaps, theres a lot of info on this topic  , i wouldnt base my decision  on what one biaed  person says . Lecctron are popular in the USA where  theres elevation changes from 500 to 3600ft in a single weekend riding  , 

Mikuni have alot of issues and require alot of patients to sort them out and have them run correctly , 

• Like 4

Properly set up, each carby doesn't have _that_ much difference in them.  I'll give the lectron is easier to get in the ballpark, and consistent, but you can't fine tune it as much without swapping needles.  So its the same as the other carbs if you want perfection & there's a reason they don't come stock on anything.

But you need to further explain what you are looking for with the word usable... smoother power delivery?  more agressive power?

There may be something else, such as gearing, expansion pipe, flywheel weight, powervalve setting, base gasket thickness...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gypsy501 said:

Macca what do you mean when you say you need usable bottom end power?

I rode the same bike (gearing, engine, PV screw position and screw) as mine with a Keihin and I was able to lug in 2nd up hills that I normally have to have my bike screaming or in 1st.  So I'm after the same kinda luggability.

Have you adjusted your power valve screw?

Yes, I've tried this.

Have you played around with different coloured springs?

Not yet, it's been running standard spring since I've had it.

Have you put a JD jetting kit in.

Done.  Have it rejetted twice.  It runs okay now, but when I rode the same bike with a Keihin it blew my mind.

My thoughts of throwing $1000 into a bike for more engine performances is nuts.

Agreed.  But, it's that or I upgrade to a new bike.. and thats going to cost in the region of 5000-7000.

Try and work with what you have got mate -

Also agree.  But.. you know how sometimes things just get stuck in ya mind and you want to upgrade?

Have you had the Mikuni jetted buy a professional?

Yes, it's been done by a few times.

Take the bike to Louie at PLATNIUM motorcycles in East Keilor get him to look at it mate.

No harm in giving him a buzz and having a chat.  Will do.

Seriously save your money

Taking it on board.  :) 

Thanks for the reply mate, see my answers above.

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply mate, see my answers above.

Would be interesting to know also if that bike had the same expansion chamber and muffler as your bike and what colour spring.

Iv had the same year bike as you 17 300exc Mikuni with a Jd jetting kit and boy that bike had way more power then I could handle, I dunno bro - spend the money if you think it’s going to make you happy.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

FB. KTM/HUSKY  PARTS Page always have ppl selling them , I got one for under 300 bucks for my Te150 last year.

Keihen .. just  my biased opinion, but you never hear about ppl replacing there Keihin carbs for lectron or mikuni :)

Screenshot_20200519-140245_Facebook.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I have to side with Mick here, Keihin all the way. I should have done it when I first started noticing the inconsistencies in my TX... But instead I threw nearly 18 months into tweaking and fine tuning, constantly adjusting float levels, replacing jet block gaskets (ended up laser cutting my own from .6mm stainless)

The list goes on... It’s kind of like the TPI thing really, some guys had nothing but issues, some guys got lucky and simply love them. Perfect example was a bloke I rode with today who has an 18’ exc 300 with the standard Mikuni, and his bike is flawless to ride.

Mine was a bloody dog sometimes, and when I got the rideability right, the fuel consumption went out the window... consistent results of awesome power and fuel economy with the Keihin, in my circumstance at least.

• Like 6

Must be a reason you have to scream up a hill in 1st. Doesn't sound right. 

I have never touched my Mikuni.

Run it at 50:1 

Red spring

PV 2 turns

JD kit.

Use second and third for all hill climbs. tractor or on pace.

Hasn't missed a beat.

Is this not normal for Mikuni?

Thought I better add 13t and 52t

• Like 4

Yeah I agree on the  Mikuni's....... I love them, I have had them on 2 x 17' 300's and 1 x 18' 300 all with Mikuni and had no reason to change. Perfect power and fuel economy.

I must be a pussy though, as the Mikuni's have so much punch and so much power I run the green PV spring, 1 turn out.  and jetted to mute all that power that comes out of the Mikuni.

You're just a machine, Crusier running the red spring !

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cruiser said:

Must be a reason you have to scream up a hill in 1st. Doesn't sound right. 

It can lug in 1st, but it'll overheat really quick.  Like Hamburger 2 will overheat the bike in 1st lugged too slowly.  So in 2nd I have to keep the revs up to avoid stalling, which kinda kills traction a bit..  Look, I thought my bike was fine until I rode the Keihin version.  It lugged up in 2nd and was no where near stalling where mine would definitely have needed to be shifted down.

I have never touched my Mikuni.

Run it at 50:1 

Yes.

Red spring

Standard spring

PV 2 turns 

In from flush?  Out?

JD kit.

Done.

Use second and third for all hill climbs. tractor or on pace.

Possibly a weight issue difference here also..  I weigh 110kg.  No way I can get third gear on a hill unless I'm doing like 70km/h+.

Hasn't missed a beat.

Is this not normal for Mikuni?

Thought I better add 13t and 52t

Did you run 13/52? I've got 13/50 atm but next set will be 13/52.

I do appreciate the input cheers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

Would be interesting to know also if that bike had the same expansion chamber and muffler as your bike and what colour spring.

Iv had the same year bike as you 17 300exc Mikuni with a Jd jetting kit and boy that bike had way more power then I could handle, I dunno bro - spend the money if you think it’s going to make you happy.

I agree the bike is has far more power than I need.  It's just difficult after riding the altered version as I could see that where I was struggling becoming a non issue.  My usual attitude is to soldier on.. become **** awesome on my current bike and when I upgrade in a couple years I'll be surprised and shocked as how I managed to do certain things previously.  I am pretty frugal with throwing money at the bike.. She only gets bits that ensure she'll stay healthy.  No bling etc. 

I do appreciate the input cheers.

Your doing something wrong there Macca, 2nd gear will help you with traction not break traction.

At 110kg a 300 will pull you in 3rd gear up The Hamburgers - either the bike isn’t jetted correctly or it’s your riding style.

If you want to just sit back and let the bike do all the work buy a 500.

Is spending $1000 on your engine going to help you improve on your riding, I dunno bro

3 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

Your doing something wrong there Macca, 2nd gear will help was traction not break traction.

At 110kg a 300 will pull you in 3rd gear up The Hamburgers - either the bike isn’t jetted correctly or it’s your riding style.

If you want to just sit back and let the bike do all the work buy a 500.

Is spending $1000 on your engine going to help you improve on your riding.

Hard to explain but.. Best example of why I believe it's the bike and not my riding style is that the completely same bike with a keihin made it feel as if the bike was able to lug. 

The reason I say 2nd wasn't gaining traction is because 2nd has to be ridden high in the rev range and therefore the wheel more likely to spin. 

Hard to explain but.. Best example of why I believe it's the bike and not my riding style is that the completely same bike with a keihin made it feel as if the bike was able to lug. 
The reason I say 2nd wasn't gaining traction is because 2nd has to be ridden high in the rev range and therefore the wheel more likely to spin. 

Sounds like your compression is down
  • Like 3

164205781.0CPqGxps.FiveCarbComparisonPowerAll5.jpg.07af7233b4d53ac8cfbaebdf8ef30a77.jpg

I've never messed with a mikuni but suggest something else is wrong.  Show us your spark plug and back of the silencer after a ride.

& agree with above, do a compression test too. 

How many hours on the bike?  if it was rebuilt, was the base gasket thickness set correctly?  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, silent said:

164205781.0CPqGxps.FiveCarbComparisonPowerAll5.jpg.07af7233b4d53ac8cfbaebdf8ef30a77.jpg

I've never messed with a mikuni but suggest something else is wrong.  Show us your spark plug and back of the silencer after a ride.

& agree with above, do a compression test too.

Nice graph. Thanks for sharing. 

I'll get a photo of spark plug on Saturday. Back of silencer rarely has any spooge. Unless I've rung it's guts out in a high gear.. Which rarely ever happens. 

• Like 1

I'm with Gypsy too, get the basics confirmed first. Check compression, reeds first. Power valves don't kick in until your into the revs, if its down on torque at low revs its unlikely the power valve. I'd still check to see the power valve isn't carboned up or stuck though.

• Like 3