J-man

1974 K1 ATC70 Restoration

Being a bit quiet at work due to CV19, I thought it's a good time to begin  the restoration on the Trike.

It's been in the family since the late '70's and was originally purchased by my Dad to get around the Speedway Tracks that he raced at BITD - Daylesford, Alex, Nyora etc. From memory, just about all his Speedway mates had them and they seemed everywhere growing up.

Eventually, the Speedway ended and we'd take it camping where I rode it for many years until it was unceremoniously parked behind the shed under a tarp where it sat for probably 15 odd years.

We'd forgotten all about it until 2010 when we dug it out of my parents house and I took it home....

IMG00041-20110305-1356.jpg

IMG00039-20110305-1355.jpg

IMG00038-20110305-1355.jpg

• Like 5

No real issues coming apart other than a few rusty bolts and taking care to inspect/catalogue everything as removed,

K1_2.jpg

K1_4.jpg

K1 1.jpg

• Like 2

And then....

Collar on the brake side of the axle is STUCK :(

Tried heat although I don't want to get it too hot as its very close to the aluminium carrier.

And t's difficult to get in there with a punch or cold chisel without damaging the carrier too.

Thinking we'll let it soak for a day or two and see where we're at 

K1 6.jpg

K1 7.jpg

It may be a press fit collar, do some research but maybe with a cold chisel you can spread it to remove ??

• Like 1

Don’t think it is Dazz by looking at how it’s assembled. Although I have been wrong before - it’s not that uncommon lol

Fingers crossed a good dose of Panther P*ss frees it up and we can knock it free 

• Like 1

Nice one!!!

Wish i had have held on to my one.

I look forward to following the build.

1016976_10151615742314724_230847978_n.jpg

1073894_10200383220682689_187273095_o.jpg

• Like 3

Was just saying the other day that I should have made you an offer on yours when I had the chance. 

• Like 1

Two days of soaking and still no joy :(

Though the biggest pain is the close proximity of the bearing carrier and not being able to get a flat surface for the cold chisel to bite onto.

Thoughts atm are there's no choice but to grind away a flat surface of the collar and try to knock free rotating around the axle.

K1 8.jpg

• Like 1

Tap tap tap and nothing, then bang bang and the collar begun to rotate and let go thankfully.

Axle and hub assembly out and everything else was quite straightforward from there.

K1 10.jpg

• Like 5

Been busy getting the first batch of parts ready for Hydroblasting.

Went through frame and forks undoing 46 years of good times, surprisingly it wasn't  as bad as I expected it to be.

Several mostly minor tweaks and it's true and square.

K1_12.jpg

K1_21.jpg

K1 22.jpg

K1_16.jpg

K1 11.jpg

K1 14.jpg

• Like 5

Basically the whole machine is now at the Hydroblaster with specific parts going to the Zinc and Chrome people from there.

K1_26.jpg

• Like 2

Once the cases are back from blasting and thoroughly cleaned, we start rectifying this mess :(

K1 27.jpg

K1 28.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah looks like it Toys.
Only other possibility is accumulative damage from hitting things with the footpegs which would feed the load back into the cases through the bolts.

Looking at the aftermath that’s  highly unlikely, but I’m giving my Dad the benefit of the doubt because the “too long bolts“ thing is a real rookie mistake haha

• Like 1

The parts have returned from John at Ferntree Gully Hydroblasting who did a great job - highly recommended.

He also organised the zincing of nuts, bolts and hardware which have returned as new.

Most components are in great shape and will only require standard prep/repair work before paint, but the clutch and left side engine cover are severely pitted and require replacement. Luckily I managed to find genuine NOS items hiding in 'Merica.

So for now its mainly continuing with the prep & paint....

K1 34.jpg

K1_33.jpg

K1 32.jpg

• Like 4

Still chipping away....

Finishing doing what we can whilst waiting on a heap of OEM parts from OS (mostly US).

CV19 has really delayed shipping - I've got several parcels sitting in International Dispatch Facilities waiting on a flight out :(

K1 49.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good, enjoying following the progress!

Curious, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do? It's an interesting set up you have!

Thanks 2T.

Mostly we manufacture planters and litter bins for commercial projects.

We also refurbish/recolour customer planters, hence the spray booth.

• Like 2

Cases repaired internally and re hydro blasted - not pretty but as good as can be.

Still continuing with prepping the frame, forks and tank which will hopefully be finished and painted by weeks end 🤞

K1 52.jpg

K1 53.jpg

K1 54.jpg

• Like 1

Last of the painting completed - except for engine cases and covers.

Parts have started to roll in, so hopefully have a roller by end of next week and can focus on finishing engine cases and covers.

K1 55.jpg

K1 56.jpg

K1 58.jpg

• Like 3