shaun p

Japanese bikes are better than Euro bikes.

On 7/12/2020 at 1:51 PM, Dann said:

It won't be a question of Jap vs Euro it will be a question of Jap vs ktm soon.

Saw something like this on SM recently

Husq=white KTM, Berg=old KTM, Gassa=new ktm, Sherco=next KTM 😆😆😆😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Saw something like this on SM recently
Husq=white KTM, Berg=old KTM, Gassa=new ktm, Sherco=next KTM
0dd2dfc66d41a9b1b7ce71facf6be03c.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 7/12/2020 at 2:45 PM, Andy350 said:

KTM are one of few that have made consistent major engineering changes to each model regarding weight loss

The whole weight saving thing makes me laugh. They have managed to produce an adr compliant bike with lights, wiring and a battery that weighs the same as a Jap mx bike. The engine cases are so thin you must run a thermo fan to prevent overheating, the plastics are held together with minimal hardware so after the first time you stack you have to hold everything together with cable ties. I've seen the top shock mount on a tpi frame, I think a dinner fork would be stronger. I see a lot of guys on orange and white bikes having to refit their front guard on the trail after toppling over because some high flange washers on the bolts are just too damn heavy...etc etc.

15 min into a wet ride you've got 5 kilos of mud on your bike and you can't tell the difference anyway. 

Ktm motto is "ready to race". It should say "ready to race once".

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

The whole weight saving thing makes me laugh. They have managed to produce an adr compliant bike with lights, wiring and a battery that weighs the same as a Jap mx bike. The engine cases are so thin you must run a thermo fan to prevent overheating, the plastics are held together with minimal hardware so after the first time you stack you have to hold everything together with cable ties. I've seen the top shock mount on a tpi frame, I think a dinner fork would be stronger. I see a lot of guys on orange and white bikes having to refit their front guard on the trail after toppling over because some high flange washers on the bolts are just too damn heavy...etc etc.

15 min into a wet ride you've got 5 kilos of mud on your bike and you can't tell the difference anyway. 

Ktm motto is "ready to race". It should say "ready to race once".

At the end of the day my 120 something kg DRZ400 used to pass all different coloured bikes on hills from time to time. I do miss my old Jap bike it was indestructible until I introduced it to water. It still put a smile on my dial. Just awesome to be on any bike anywhere really,especially atm

I cant ride any bike to its full potential or notice the 20 degree triple clamps unless I change my surname to Price or Jarvis

• Like 2

At the end of the day my 120 something kg DRZ400 used to pass all different coloured bikes on hills from time to time. I do miss my old Jap bike it was indestructible until I introduced it to water. It still put a smile on my dial. Just awesome to be on any bike anywhere really,especially atm

I cant ride any bike to its full potential or notice the 20 degree triple clamps on my KTM unless I change my surname to Price or Jarvis

• Like 1

Very funny Mick,hows @Greasa goin havnt seen him pop up for a while hope all is well

(Sorry to go off topic)

11 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Very funny Mick,hows @Greasa goin havnt seen him pop up for a while hope all is well emoji106.png

(Sorry to go off topic)

Not too sure mate havent seen him all year , im stuck in WA😔

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not too sure mate havent seen him all year , im stuck in WA

Oh shite,good luck getting home and say gday for me when you get back. Cheers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mick said:

Maybe I wouldn't wait until the grass is knee high if I had a mower like that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Andy350 said:
14 hours ago, Andy350 said:

At the end of the day my 120 something kg DRZ400 used to pass all different coloured bikes on hills from time to time. I do miss my old Jap bike it was indestructible until I introduced it to water. It still put a smile on my dial. Just awesome to be on any bike anywhere really,especially atm emoji106.png

I cant ride any bike to its full potential or notice the 20 degree triple clamps on my KTM unless I change my surname to Price or Jarvis emoji2.png

After riding my Honda crm250ar on a hill at Mt Cole I was struggling like crazy. That same hill my drz400 rides up no problem. I think sometimes the heavy weight of the drz400 is an advantage with traction. That said it's a pain in most other cases. I think we all get sucked into believing we need a ktm300 or whatever just to trail ride in the bush when all we probably need is a ttr250. But it is fun riding a nice light enduro bike and makes riding a more enjoyable experience

• Like 3

Well said. Had a drz 400 once, loved it, it was heaven putting feet on the ground too. Lol. But now look at look at me on my 2020 ktm 300. :happy-04:😆🤧

Dam I can't get rid of those last 2 heads. 

• Like 2

I have a mint XR400 that I aquired from my old man. There's been times when I was waiting for parts and decided to ride it, had a good ride at Dissa on it once actually. The suspension is stock so it's not hard to find the limitations there but set up properly I think it would handle reasonably well. The lower ground clearance is noticeable on logs. It eats hills for breakfast though and absolutely loves the high speed slides on the gravel road. You can ride it all day and I will go so far as to say it's the best steering bike I have (XR riders from back in the day will know what I mean) and I stand by that statement. If for whatever reason I would have no qualms riding that bike all the time. 

I think that comparing DRZ400's and XR's to Euro 2t bikes in this thread is a bit iffy and not fair.

A YZ250/CR250/KX250/RM250 will do everything a ktm300 will do just fine if you can live without a starter motor.

I bought my 2014 YZ250 mx'er brand new with rec reg for $9500. I got the suspension revalved, put radiator braces and a bashplate on it just the same as most people do to their ktm so that cost is irrelevant.

585hrs later I'm still riding it and it still rips, euro bikes at the wreckers don't even have that many hours on them...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dann said:

I have a mint XR400 that I aquired from my old man. There's been times when I was waiting for parts and decided to ride it, had a good ride at Dissa on it once actually. The suspension is stock so it's not hard to find the limitations there but set up properly I think it would handle reasonably well. The lower ground clearance is noticeable on logs. It eats hills for breakfast though and absolutely loves the high speed slides on the gravel road. You can ride it all day and I will go so far as to say it's the best steering bike I have (XR riders from back in the day will know what I mean) and I stand by that statement. If for whatever reason I would have no qualms riding that bike all the time. 

I think that comparing DRZ400's and XR's to Euro 2t bikes in this thread is a bit iffy and not fair.

A YZ250/CR250/KX250/RM250 will do everything a ktm300 will do just fine if you can live without a starter motor.

I bought my 2014 YZ250 mx'er brand new with rec reg for $9500. I got the suspension revalved, put radiator braces and a bashplate on it just the same as most people do to their ktm so that cost is irrelevant.

585hrs later I'm still riding it and it still rips, euro bikes at the wreckers don't even have that many hours on them...

If they're at the wreckers, I'd assume it's bashed up, or been written off... A scratch on the frame is supposedly written off, so it's not necessarily the bike itself the reason it's there.

I have a 2019 300 TPI atm, at 110 hours now. Plenty more to go, I think I'll get to 500 hours in a year or two at this rate 😅🤣🤣 Although I'd likely upgrade to a newer model before then... (used)

8 minutes ago, The One Demon said:

If they're at the wreckers, I'd assume it's bashed up, or been written off... A scratch on the frame is supposedly written off, so it's not necessarily the bike itself the reason it's there.

I have a 2019 300 TPI atm, at 110 hours now. Plenty more to go, I think I'll get to 500 hours in a year or two at this rate 😅🤣🤣 Although I'd likely upgrade to a newer model before then... (used)

If it weren't for injuries I'd clock up a lot more hours on mine too but I don't have a lot of disposal income and can't afford the ridiculous price for a tpi top end every 75 hrs or whatever it is if you change the oil pump every time. 

I'm happy with my set up.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Dann said:

Allways wanted an xr400 no leaking radiators or water pumps. If only Honda had put a button start on it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

Still using the same frame from the last 30 years emoji23.pngemoji12.png

It's hard to improve on perfection

• Like 3

Sometimes new isn't better, just like how suits have been around for ages and they will always be classier than some hipster look that changes every week.

• Like 1

Slip on, bashplate, radiator guard AND a kangaroo sticker?

Game changer 👌

• Like 1