shaun p

Japanese bikes are better than Euro bikes.

Here it is gypsy I will go on record as saying euro bikes are overpriced and unreliable plus you need a money tree to afford the spares.

• Like 4

But seriously except for Honda valves Japanese fix there problems the European bikes have the same issues for model after model for the money they charge should be a better product. It's the little things tha matter.

20200413_071918.png.c71a8aba3f1163c942915031ed3cabb8.png

In 2001 suzuki released the DRZ400 with no kickstart and no issues.

But 15 years later KTM finally invents their version that doesn't crap out?

• Like 2

I have to admit whoever is behind KTM marketing deserves a medal getting premium price for sub standard products.

Can we also make a thread about shifting with clutch vs no clutch & potential damage to the gearbox?

I challenge anyone who says there is no difference, to rev the bike in neutral to 6,000 with the rear wheel locked stationary, and compare the two methods of shifting into 2nd.  Then mechanically explain what breaks from inertia transfer and why, then how shifting with the clutch would have prevented it?

The winner will get my broken KTM 2nd gear.

Oh man, this should be entertaining.

My 2 cents. I’ve owned several jap bikes over the years, and euro bikes. I’ve had more ktms than anything else, and I’ve always found them instantly easy to ride and set up, and perfectly suited to the trail riding that I do.
Admittedly I haven’t ridden a current jap enduro bike, but I believe the Yamaha is the only serious one of the bunch. In years gone by you would need to put a new set of bars, grips, pipe etc on these to get them half decent. Not sure if you still need to do this or not, but there is $1000 just there.
The euro bikes you don’t really need to spend a cent to go riding, other than protective parts, suspension and tyres which you still spend on a jap bike also.
I don’t run up big hours on any of my bikes so spare parts aren’t much of an issue for me, other than wear and tear items.
Resale value is very good on a Ktm, so that makes up for some higher parts costs over the life of owning the bike.
I’ve never had a major issue on any bike, touch wood, other than the temperamental starter on my old 300 which was a non issue anyway cause it was easy to kick. It still worked 90% of the time.
The hobby of dirt bike riding is fairly expensive anyway, regardless of spare parts. At least these days there are so many different options when buying spares, so prices are mostly competitive, which we didn’t have many years ago. Unless you need genuine parts.

Anyway it’s like Holden and Ford. You either like or hate either one. Me personally, I like the euro bikes, but I’m not loyal as such, I could change any day depending on the bikes that were on offer at the time. At this point in time the ktm suits my needs the best.
Maybe in a couple of years I might be on a Yamaha who knows.

• Like 2

I have found that doing the bottom end on a Ktm is much easier than a Yamaha,

and to pull out the rear shock on a Yamaha you have pull so much crap off it to get to it   

and I know of a welder that worked on his bottom end and didn't have any trouble.

• Like 2

Havent owned a Jap bike since 2014

Havent bought a Jap bike since 2012

Getting a Beta 300 at the end of the year

• Like 1

I've actually been on at least 3 large group rides over the years where a drz400 has had flat battery issues. Usually from restarting them so often on tighter terrain tracks and the headlight sucking the battery.Other bad bikes are the beta 4 strokes like the 390 so i suppose thats one all jap/euro so equal on this one in my experiences. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, shaun p said:

Here it is gypsy I will go on record as saying euro bikes are overpriced and unreliable plus you need a money tree to afford the spares.

Which Jap bike are you using as a comparison?  Only the WR or FX Yamaha are comparable to the euros....do you have any other jap bike in mind?

• Like 1

Have no.preference personally for country of origin....
Absolutely loved my RMX's.. .
Absolutely love 2 strokes...
Absolutely love a button
Absolutely love enduro suspension
Absolutely love "enduro" ratio gearing

Jeez.... Only really seems to be Euro bikes available to meet the criteria...

Japs may make great bikes, bit their focus is MX or road/dual sport...

Sure, the euros may have some issues that some people don't like but they are the only ones that seem to take enduro seriously - like previously stated, Yamaha are the only of the jap brands that seem even rotly interested in our sport - and don't get me started on phucken Honda!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, brucektmguy said:

Which Jap bike are you using as a comparison?  Only the WR or FX Yamaha are comparable to the euros....do you have any other jap bike in mind?

Like cluffie said the Japs are better at motocrossers and have given up with enduro bikes but if they were to get serious it would not take them long to build a better bike. Why do you think KTM got into road bikes because that's were the money is .So why the European manufacturers have no real competition we will get what they want to give us. What I'm getting at is the r and d for off road bikes is nearly non existent at the Japanese factories.

• Like 1

Look at it this way I can ride a 17year old motocrosser in the bush as fast and easy as a modern euro bike. Because they all have to be set up to your personal preference.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, cluffie said:

I've actually been on at least 3 large group rides over the years where a drz400 has had flat battery issues. Usually from restarting them so often on tighter terrain tracks and the headlight sucking the battery.Other bad bikes are the beta 4 strokes like the 390 so i suppose thats one all jap/euro so equal on this one in my experiences. 

The difference being drzs running really old basic technology beta 390 are meant to be latest and greatest according to Ben Grabham and he knows everything just ask him.

28 minutes ago, cluffie said:

Worth a mention is the headlight superiority of the suzuki vs ktm childrens nightlight.

But I take your 3 batteries and counter you with a red husky.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, silent said:

I take your 3 batteries and counter you with a red husky.

Well said rode a husky in 2003 for Christensens it had five sets of valves in it before 50 hour's a blown shock at 10 hours as well as a broken ring on the piston I think from new I still get a shudder when I see one of those.

• Haha 1