Kelly85M84

Controversial but 2t vs 4t

Hi everyone,

Mainly want opinions from people who have done a lot of riding on both 2t and 4t.

I’m a female rider, 5”6 only about 55kg looking at a brand new bike when all this corona is over and we can ride again so great time for research.

Main riding I like is enduro, singles, slower pace, technical, fun stuff, logs, jumps, ruts, small hill climbs. Not interested in going super fast or 4x4 tracks.

Still looking at ktm 150 exc vs ktm 250 excf.

What does on the pipe mean really?

Is 2t so much more work than a 4t?

For a lazy rider is the 4t easier?

All the reviews say 150 cc 2t is fun but you have to be on the pipe and change gear a lot. Would this make hill climbs harder?

The 250cc 4t have more low end torque. When do you need more torque?

They say with the ktm 150 2t you need to be in the right gear, what happens when you aren’t in the right gear?

I don’t want a bike that I have to fight with or that’s exhausting, is the 150 going to be so much more work than the 250?

Thanks for everyone’s advise and help.

• Like 5

Hi Kelly I think I qualify to give you a hand. Since I started riding 48years ago I have ridden and owned alot of bikes both two and four strokes. Now this is only my opinion 4t,s are easier to ride but less exciting to ride. Two strokes especially small bores are for more experienced rider's in the bush because they have no power down low in the revs. To answer your questions number 1 on the pipe means in the power and of the bike. Number 2 2t,s like I said for more experienced rider's is easier in technical terrain but the average person does better on a 250f.4t.  Number 3 it would make hills a bit harder. Number 4 low end torque is needed on hills and technical terrain. Number 5 what happens is the bike will have no power and struggle to accelerate. Any way I hope that helps but with out seeing you ride it is hard to give advice. :D

• Like 3

if you buy a 2t from the start and stick with it and master the clutch control you will be good as 2t are a little lighter,

but with 4t's are a little more forgiven like can chug up hills without too much worrying about clutch and you also have engine braking with the 4t's when going downhill.

• Like 2

XTrainer for sure. Light weight. Low end grunty 300 which rides like a 4t. Know of two riders that have/had them who done everything and more than what others were riding.

Plus you'd probably get a new one for well south of $10k.

• Like 3

Gypsy I thought you said the 150tpi is guttless compared to the carby model.

No that wasn’t me Shaun-iv only ridden 1 Carby 150 which had work done - I personally couldn’t tell the difference in power- I loved riding them both equally.

Cool mate just making sure you still love KTM or are you going to GasGas.:applauso-01:but when I rode Mick's for the day I have to say I was impressed with its performance.

• Like 1

This is imo only so I hope I don’t offend anyone- kelly is 55kg and a lvl 2 rider - She needs the lightest bike available low maintenance with a Button start , no jetting no linkage no mixing fuel- your still young - learn how to muster riding this bike and you will be a much better rider than them all.

250 or 300 2t is way to much power for Kelly imo

250 4t is to heavy imo

• Like 7

2 stroke 150 or 200 white or orange flavor, 125 might be too peaky.

Orange free ride and red X Trainer might be an option

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kelly85M84 said:

I’m a female rider, 5”6 only about 55kg looking at a brand new bike when all this corona is over and we can ride again so great time for research.

Main riding I like is enduro, singles, slower pace, technical, fun stuff, logs, jumps, ruts, small hill climbs. Not interested in going super fast or 4x4 tracks.

All the reviews say 150 cc 2t is fun but you have to be on the pipe and change gear a lot. Would this make hill climbs harder?

They say with the ktm 150 2t you need to be in the right gear, what happens when you aren’t in the right gear?

I don’t want a bike that I have to fight with or that’s exhausting, is the 150 going to be so much more work than the 250?

You will get a lot of different opinions but after riding a 200 exc for years and various 4 strokes I'll share my thoughts.  I'm far from an expert but for what its worth..

'on the pipe' is the phrase to describe the way 2 strokes start making more power the faster the engine revs, and over a shorter rev range than most 4 strokes.  Generally the smaller the engine, the less spread of power it has, and for a 150 you would get a strong burst before having to change gears quickly to maintain that power.  Riding at a slower speed in the same gear, can still be very smooth, but essentially it feels like the engine has 2 power modes.  So being in a gear too high will give you a lot less power to work with, and a gear too low means you have already used that burst of power.  On a 4 stroke its not so critical.

Bigger 2 strokes like a 300 have so much power it can be spread more, but at 55kg, the throttle will not be forgiving.

For this reason, yes, a 2 stroke its generally a lot more work.  I find there are many times where the bike has either too much or two little power, so for that reason, hills are harder on a small engine 2 stroke.  There are many hills I've done on 4 strokes that I have still yet to achieve on the 2 stroke.

If you are riding where you won't be challenged too much, a 2 stroke is more 'exciting' to ride when you want to go fast, but really smooth and light feeling the rest of the time, and that's where it shines.  But on a wet hill, the 4 stroke will just find its way up without anywhere as much effort where the 2 stroke is harder to get traction.  

I would say that a 2 stroke has much smoother low rev performance, and will slowly stall compared to some 4 strokes which can just die suddenly.  But the remainder of the time, the 4 stroke will make predictable power, which helps a lot on hills and slick conditions, and you can definitely ride for longer without getting as tired on a 250F, because you will spend less time fighting it.  

So for me, I'd say 250F.

I've ridden a ktm freeride 350 before, and that was possibly perfect for what you describe.  But it also depends how tall you are as well.

• Like 2

Cool mate just making sure you still love KTM or are you going to GasGas.:applauso-01:but when I rode Mick's for the day I have to say I was impressed with its performance.

If Gasgas come out with Pds definitely a look in.
Yes the 150s are a awesome bike - So make fun

In all honesty you rate PDS as good as linkage not making fun just asking the question you are very pro KTM:huh:. To me I have never worked out what all the fuss is about with Euro bikes I have owned my share they're either expensive to run or I mean spares costs had a sherco 4t the head gasket was 140dollars. Your favourite orange bikes the 4ts run valves that cost 400each. The 2ts starter was crap for years they just don't fix problem's the new 4ts pistons are only good for 50 hrs my old rms Piston goes that long. Not trying to be controversial but look at all the issues they have and they want between 14and 17 thousand dollars for a bike then hang on I have to spend.:huh:

• Like 1

Sorry for getting off topic Kelly try and get a decent ride on both bikes your interested in and go from there try making it at some place you are comfortable riding good luck.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, shaun p said:

In all honesty you rate PDS as good as linkage not making fun just asking the question you are very pro KTM:huh:. To me I have never worked out what all the fuss is about with Euro bikes I have owned my share they're either expensive to run or I mean spares costs had a sherco 4t the head gasket was 140dollars. Your favourite orange bikes the 4ts run valves that cost 400each. The 2ts starter was crap for years they just don't fix problem's the new 4ts pistons are only good for 50 hrs my old rms Piston goes that long. Not trying to be controversial but look at all the issues they have and they want between 14and 17 thousand dollars for a bike then hang on I have to spend.:huh:

I have a ktm 300 2015 and still have the original starter in it and ride mostly every 2nd weekend 

just need to keep up on the maintenance like bushes and brushes, just defending the comment about crap starters. 

P.s He sells the bike before any maintenance is needed lol

• Like 1

150 te husky or ktm xcw 150 or exc150 either a carb model or a tpi model depending on what you can find and your budget will fit you perfectly.
My 14yo daughter racers and trailrides hers,plenty of power,easy to ride,they do lug unlike a 125 so they can be easily ridden off the pipe or on the pipe. They climb hills well for a rider of your weight.
250f is to heavy and harder to handle in general and especially in wet conditions at your height and weight and is definately the wrong bike for you.
Your riding will improve on the 150,a perfect juniors and girls bike imo. Don't get sucked into thinking they are slow or underpowered as the 150 can haul also if needed with a rider of your weight steering.

• Like 7

Shaun im happy to answer your question- but yeah your right maybe start another thread, and let me get a truck load of popcorn for this one , lol
  • Like 2

Like I said Shane not going after euro bikes but jap bikes don't need their starters looked at for probably 200 hours plus.

1 minute ago, Gypsy501 said:

Shaun im happy to answer your question- but yeah your right maybe start another thread, and let me get a truck load of popcorn emoji897.png for this one , lol emoji106.pngemoji869.png

Mate will we call it jap verses euro I think we will never agree.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kelly85M84 said:

Hi everyone,

Mainly want opinions from people who have done a lot of riding on both 2t and 4t.

New Beta 200 RR 2020 - great lightweight bike and can have a 25mm lowering kit fitted from new.  All bottom end torque and handles like a dream.  Keihin carb no TPI to break down and give you issues.    Or my ride buddy is selling his 16 KTM EXC 200 $7500.  

• Like 2

New Beta 200 RR 2020 - great lightweight bike and can have a 25mm lowering kit fitted from new.  All bottom end torque and handles like a dream.  Keihin carb no TPI to break down and give you issues.    Or my ride buddy is selling his 16 KTM EXC 200 $7500.  

Good one Bruce
  • Like 1

Listen to Cluffie , He knows more about bikes than most . @Roscoe rode with me at Mt Cole in October last year, , we did some pretty torturous hills, He is light and was on a 150 husky and after a liitle technique chat with Cruiser he chugged up every hill like they werent there, clutch out taking his time. They have plenty of power to ascend any hill if your less than 60 kg geared up.

• Like 6

My two cents:

Yes; listen to Cluffie.

A 150 will do you well, especially if you tip the scales 75kg or less and do like to tackle more technical terrain. For a small capacity engine, the TPI especially is a surprisingly forgiving bike. They will certainly chug along when you need / want them too, but on the flip side if you’re a light rider, they’ll still keep you honest when you crack the throttle.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

e12741f49d921d34f6a9091fdcf93bba.jpg

My vote is the 2020 150tpi for you emoji106.png

that is hilarious....i thought the same thing....agree with vote...depends on finances...this is the first reply i read...here we go...

• Like 2