MrNoodle

Welding questions? Tips and advice to help each other

3 hours ago, Murdoch said:

when I was young and bullet proof, 

That is so true^ 

My biggest concern is my eye sight later in life. Have suffered welders flash more times than I can count. Some of which have taken over 24hours until I could see again. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

That is so true^ 
My biggest concern is my eye sight later in life. Have suffered welders flash more times than I can count. Some of which have taken over 24hours until I could see again. 

Yeah, thankfully only had ‘sand in my eyes’ once, but that’s one I’ve always been very careful with, as my eyesight is cactus as it is!
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bubalu said:

That is so true^ 

Have you tried holding your eyes shut to the spots disappear it has worked for me been welding 35 years only ever had flash real mild once but at 53 year's old my eyes have been getting slowly worse can't see details even with glasses. Just when tig welding below 25 amps.:wacko:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shaun p said:

Have you tried holding your eyes shut to the spots disappear it has worked for me been welding 35 years only ever had flash real mild once but at 53 year's old my eyes have been getting slowly worse can't see details even with glasses. Just when tig welding below 25 amps.:wacko:

I'll try that next time mate.... but my fingers are crossed there is no next time.Appreciate the advice:)

What shade number you normally run?

Just now, Bubalu said:

I'll try that next time mate.... but my fingers are crossed there is no next time.Appreciate the advice:)

What shade number you normally run?

11 but fine work now 9 

On 4/17/2020 at 11:13 PM, BushyBrows DBT said:

Since this is a tips / advice thread I want to throw out a question to peeps who have have been welding for years. Has anyone had any tooth cavities or any other teeth problems from inert gases?

I worked for an engineering co back in '02/'03 doing a lot of general fab and mig welding. During this time and into '04 had to get 3 teeth pulled and a couple of fillings. Late last year and up to a few weeks ago I've done a bit of welding on my bike trailer and some other odd mig welding jobs. BTW, as mentioned above plain Argon is crap for MIG on steel. I've also been practicing with a new TIG machine.

I now have a tooth needing repair again, no probs for the last 16 - 17 years. Could be just coincidence but I'm starting to wonder if this is something to do with breathing in argon / argoshield.

Na haven't  heard of that to and I do a lot of gav  weld  but have heard of air way problem  but cause from what you welding  not the gas  as use to repair chem I.c.o and it use to release  chem absorption in the steel from year of hard work 

• Like 1

IMG_20200725_163320_4.thumb.jpg.4a229526506023fe74c8f1da3240fc71.jpgIMG_20200725_163350_1.thumb.jpg.964f4722c7e22e9caac092b44d45dce4.jpg

Here's some pics for the welders or anyone who's wondered what a gas bottle casing looks like . I cut open an Oxy bottle today, gunna use the top part for a project I'm working on. TBH I thought the wall would have been thicker, didn't measure it but looks to be around 8mm. The water all over the ground is because I had filled the bottle up before cutting, even though oxy isn't flammable and the bottle had been sitting around for years i was nervous as ripping into it with the 9" grinder.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, BushyBrows DBT said:

IMG_20200725_163320_4.thumb.jpg.4a229526506023fe74c8f1da3240fc71.jpgIMG_20200725_163350_1.thumb.jpg.964f4722c7e22e9caac092b44d45dce4.jpg

Here's some pics for the welders or anyone who's wondered what a gas bottle casing looks like . I cut open an Oxy bottle today, gunna use the top part for a project I'm working on. TBH I thought the wall would have been thicker, didn't measure it but looks to be around 8mm. The water all over the ground is because I had filled the bottle up before cutting, even though oxy isn't flammable and the bottle had been sitting around for years i was nervous as ripping into it with the 9" grinder.

How thick is it around the top? A customer asked me to cut open an old diving tank and I felt inside the top hole and it felt about an inch thick so told him to get someone with a proper cutter to do it

On 7/25/2020 at 11:28 PM, MrNoodle said:

How thick is it around the top? A customer asked me to cut open an old diving tank and I felt inside the top hole and it felt about an inch thick so told him to get someone with a proper cutter to do it

Measured it properly today , wall is only about 6mm thick. It's hard to tell from the pic but up near the top it does seem pretty thick, measuring the inside to a datum then measuring on the outside its about 15-20mm thick in the 'bell'

2034858052_Oxybot1.thumb.jpg.5ddf978cc905bf08946885df07ef4818.jpg

1282133112_Oxybot2.thumb.jpg.91c240be4ab4241f3860759a49989786.jpg

• Like 1

Regarding flash, we built these massive tanks once and used a quickie to do almost 14 meter long 6mm continuous fillets. It would take nearly an hour and the operator would have to watch it the whole time and adjust the sideways knob. Wearing flash glasses under your sheild you'd still cop it and no matter how hard you tried to put screens up everyone in the vicinity was copping it too.

The flash victims were dropping like flies.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dann said:

Regarding flash, we built these massive tanks once and used a quickie to do almost 14 meter long 6mm continuous fillets. It would take nearly an hour and the operator would have to watch it the whole time and adjust the sideways knob. Wearing flash glasses under your sheild you'd still cop it and no matter how hard you tried to put screens up everyone in the vicinity was copping it too.

The flash victims were dropping like flies.

i have KFI what that means mate....sounds like carnage...but how are you mate...looking fwd to catching up soon...haven't had a chinwag round the fire and heard those dulset tones out your van for too long...lol...stay safe

have had flash a couple of times. Feels like concrete dust in your eyes. Generally used to show up later that night.

Going to the Docs to get the drops put in. Instant relief......Need a 6 pack to take home

Along with the mig and arc setup on my original cigweld weldskill185, I bought the tig torch for it as one of my employees wanted to learn and have a play. We did some reading and youtubing from weld.com and he was quickly producing some nice welds. He is going to have a crack at making a bow rail for his boat over the weekend and maybe some schnapper racks too so I will post some pics when he finishes

• Like 1

Finally bought some gas for my mig yesterday. Tomorrow I plan to set it up and practice. I reckon it shouldn't be too hard to get my welds to look as good as that weld...Will show you some pics tomorrow.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2020 at 8:22 PM, mick said:

Not mine , im not that good👌

Screenshot_20200626-013928_Gallery.jpg

Bad earth?.....

49 minutes ago, Dann said:

Bad earth?.....

Nar. 0 f#cks given 😆 , was night shift bout 3am . He was trying to bridge a 15mm gap with 1.6 Innersheild 232.

Screenshot_20200811-201852_Gallery.jpg

• Haha 1

Nar. 0 f#cks given  , was night shift bout 3am . He was trying to bridge a 15mm gap with 1.6 Innersheild 232.
Screenshot_20200811-201852_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5cfd900631e7785601198fae0c10a41c.jpg
Mate, i recon he should sell that stuff, theres a market for those bird proof boundaries with them spikes sticking out like hedgehogs !
  • Haha 3

Not mine , im not that good
Screenshot_20200626-013928_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0790a650614da25bbf8770a837bc2dec.jpg

Try clamping a bit of copper plate under the gap, then once you fill the first part of the bridge across, just layer the rest.

44 minutes ago, Raff said:

Try clamping a bit of copper plate under the gap, then once you fill the first part of the bridge across, just layer the rest.

Haha, not my weld , yer mate, Boily for 20+ years , i know a few tricks , but thanks 👍

• Like 3

Keep at it mate, panels are the hardest thing to weld, as you don’t want distortion. Minimal heat, short bursts and tons of patience would be my two cents.

• Like 2