Pepperjack

Holden is dead. Long live the king.

Ahh, the great debate...Holden versus ford. As an 'always Holden' man, I'm lovin' my second ranger XLT.

Aside from all the religious emotion...my question is - what becomes of a Holden dealership?

I have a big Holden dealership right near me here in Sunbury.. so, they sell all their stock...then what?

What will 'the business' be labelled as in September when there are no Holden's being sold there.?

Will it just become 'Sunbury cars' and sell whatever?

What's the prediction for what it will become when all the dust of the Holden exodus is settled..?

Servicing and warranty is still needed,where these places will be who knows?Its hard to imagine the huge dealership in Sunbury staying where it is just for that purpose.

I think the forces of demand and supply will very soon increase values of some of the more prized model commodores.
I say fork out & invest on a late model holden or ford musclecar version that hip pocket allows.
Not only does it include yourself into this piece of racing pedigree and history, but will pay for yr retirement. Realize there is no superseding commodore model to devalue this suddenly scarce commodity. It's already appreciating in value as you read this.
In 20 years' time i predict the puritans will be writing about the sportier chequered flags SS GTS HDT & Clubsport badged models over the luxury Calais models Commodores.
Although no doubt very soon there will be overseas substitutes like the high-powered camaro to flood the market just like the Mustang has done for Ford.
I've already started stockpiling any Bathurst related memorabilia I can get my hands on.

• Like 1

Back on topic ... predictions on what will become of the dealership?

I can't see them just becoming a 'service shop' etc for current Holden owners.

There is a service only Ford arm of Westside Ford in Melton. So they'll probably head that way.

Have one of these GM dealerships selling Camaros and Silverados in Melbourne then pop service departments in key areas. It would be the only viable/profitable way to do it unless the existing Holden dealerships are multi franchise and they can absorb the service depts as part of that.

They will probably be a crap load of Holdens on the cheap soon. When Opal shut up shop they couldn't give away their stock.

I’d assume they’d become a service centre of some description.
Car dealerships generally make most of their money post sale (service and parts) anyway the only difference being now they are likely to see less and less cars coming though as the years go on.
The support and parts by law must be available for 10 years after the sale of the new car so I think you’ll see Holden parts and service centres for at least that period wether Holden branded or some other form.
As for the dealer in Sunbury and others like them they may try and buy into other brands to keep car sales going aswell.

I for one will be holding onto my 2016 SS commodore and watching prices with interest

• Like 1

I heard a bit of the word on the street that they will end up being a Suzuki dealer..and perhaps Holden parts and service etc as suggested.

.. interesting..

Yeah I think they’ll take on another brand,Sunbury holden are part of mantello holden that also sell Hyundai at Roxburgh park.

Walkinshaw (formally HSV) are taking on 200 Holden employees to follow up warranty/ agreed services that will be done through the existing Holden network, under another name , I don’t know what name, I read it on a Holden news link , but really who knows.

A heap of money is involved in this area,more then selling cars. A service department is a license to print money.
Some bargains coming soon but aee they a bargain really?
Resale will be worse then a beta.

Walkinshaw (formally HSV) are taking on 200 Holden employees to follow up warranty/ agreed services that will be done through the existing Holden network, under another name , I don’t know what name, I read it on a Holden news link , but really who knows.

Can't see GM pulling out. They'll probably rationalise dealers and put the ones that remain on new agreements to flog standard GM products like Chevrolet without engineering them to suit local conditions and where they don't need much to satisfy ADR. The law unless it's changed is ten years parts support. They at least  need to provide / arrange for this.

As far as individual dealers go,  probably depends on whether they're one of the wanted and what they're prepared to cop on the change in agreement and projected business volume.

It's funny, they closed local motorcar manufacturing under pressure from the government at a abnormal economic time with the post GFC debacle that nearly killed American motorcar manufacturing (which America caused btw) and the temporary 35% exchange rate local cost competitiveness deficit that the Australian mining boom caused. Its too late but things are a lot different now.

• Like 1

John Cadogan  has a youtube video that looks to be what real value a new Holden will be in 4yrs, he said know brands usually devalue about 45% over 4yrs where the Holdens from the fire sale will devalue about 66% in 4yrs. I really can't see it ending well, unemployment is down a bit & i can't see it getting better for a few yrs, they may find  some SUCKERS who think $10k off is a good deal;)  I think you would have a better chance for spare availability for a 4yr old Holden than a new 1 in a few yrs ?

A bit off topic but what is happening with all the old GasGas Enduro based bikes ?

Some interesting posts.......

What will happen to the dealerships? Holden had been reducing dealer numbers for quite a few years, their old model was unsustainable in modern times - there's no way you would ever now set up a network of nearly 200 dealers for a single make these days - the internet means that PMA's effectively no longer exist! But from Holden's perspective that's now irrelevant!
For Sunbury, as mentioned above, they are part of the Mantello Group, so they will put another Franchise in the space, either one they have an existing relationship with or any other make that's available... Or they'll sell the site and put the funds into the business elsewhere - car dealers, like McDonalds, are as much about real-estate as they are selling cars (or flipping burgers)...

Are the deals that are coming worthwhile? Depends how often you buy a new car? If you turn them over in 3-5 years then no, they probably aren't a good buy, if you hold a car for 5+ plus years (and treat them well) then yes, if there's a specific model that suits you and you can get the kinds of deals mentioned in reports today then they'd be well worth looking at (Colorado anyone?!?!)

2 hours ago, eagle said:

John Cadogan  has a youtube video that looks to be what real value a new Holden will be in 4yrs, he said know brands usually devalue about 45% over 4yrs where the Holdens from the fire sale will devalue about 66% in 4yrs. I really can't see it ending well, unemployment is down a bit & i can't see it getting better for a few yrs, they may find  some SUCKERS who think $10k off is a good deal;)  I think you would have a better chance for spare availability for a 4yr old Holden than a new 1 in a few yrs ?

A bit off topic but what is happening with all the old GasGas Enduro based bikes ?

Is this 66% from the clearance dealers sale price or from the old recommended retail price? Massive difference here depending on which one it is. 

To many choices of brands/models of car sold here with no government protected market so holden like ford were doomed many years ago. Such a shame but truth of it is that Aussies didn't support them with their car choices and bought imports instead. 

• Like 1

It's 44% of a good brand rrp & 66% off a fire sale car maker rrp, he's basing these figures of when the Infinity brand folded in Aus a few yrs ago ;)

7 minutes ago, eagle said:

It's 44% of a good brand rrp & 66% off a fire sale car maker rrp, he's basing these figures of when the Infinity brand folded in Aus a few yrs ago ;)

Ok, then i agree with what Dustin said, if you are going to keep the car,look after it and ride out the depreciation then it may be a good deal but for frequent changeover buyers then it's probably not a good deal. We have to also see if these low prices are real and not just thrown out there to get people into impulse buying.

• Like 1

Plus how reliable they are, spare parts availability & who will service or work on them ?

If anybody see's or hears of a new colarado 4wd crew cab at a cracking price in the next few weeks or months could you please mention it here as i might have a future interested buyer,cheers. ;)

There not really a cracking price at the moment. Talking to a dealer yesterday 47k for a Z71 driveway. The dealer says they are selling like hotcakes.

Did see a demo 18 model in Qld for 36k though on carsales. Which I think is more realistic taking into account depreciation and not taking a bath at resale time. 

We got a new Astra Ltz rrp $27900 , for $23000 drive away with 5years free service and tinted windows, fitted floor mats and free paint protection , rear boot lip protection mat , it’s now done 20k klm and couldn’t be happier, I got the dealer to do a zero klm demo where he Rego’d the car new then just transferred the Rego to us $4500 saving right there ... point is thank goodness the deal was so good, because the car will be worth nothing soon enough.

• Like 1

How does a zero km demo save you 4g? Where do you save doing this?

We got a new Astra Ltz rrp $27900 , for $23000 drive away with 5years free service and tinted windows, fitted floor mats and free paint protection , rear boot lip protection mat , it’s now done 20k klm and couldn’t be happier, I got the dealer to do a zero klm demo where he Rego’d the car new then just transferred the Rego to us $4500 saving right there ... point is thank goodness the deal was so good, because the car will be worth nothing soon enough.

How does a zero km demo save you 4g? Where do you save doing this?

It’s something they don’t like doing , they normally have to use a demo for a pre determined time , but the dealer registers the car so it’s theirs , but they get the car from the company for way under the normal stock pricing , I win.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Raff said:

It’s something they don’t like doing , they normally have to use a demo for a pre determined time , but the dealer registers the car so it’s theirs , but they get the car from the company for way under the normal stock pricing , I win.

Oh thanks,i never knew this. So they just pass the discount on to you as it is now officially a 2nd hand vechicle and you become the 2nd owner. Warranty and free servicing stays the same, i presume?

All warranties etc stay safe, I don’t know all the nuts and bolts of the deal, I had a old dealer tell me what to ask for and to bluff the dealer hard that you know it can be done, it worked great.

• Like 1