Standing on my soapbox on this one

OK,

Here tis,

I was not going to post up about this.

But after a bus load of messages and feedback from long time members/friends on here, i felt i had to.

I am not going to drag it on, and am going to keep it short as possible.

I know there was interest and a push to get more than the one level ride on both the annual weekender ride and the xmas ride.  I get the theory and the method behind it, and i respect it.

But, as far as i am concerned, i am happy with how things have ran for the last 10 years, 1 group ride ( all levels ) on the one ride for the "annual weekender" and the "xmas ride"..

Its 2 rides of the year!!

Its a chance for "better" "more capable" riders to give back, and help out on a lower graded ride. Grab a couple of group pics for the forum, social media pages etc, have a few laughs, gumby moments with others on the "all on ride" etc etc etc.....

It is not about getting more numbers and people along to the annual weekender and the xmas ride. As it is a lot easier to plan and sort all the behind the scenes stuff for a ride or a weekender for 50 people, than it is 100 people....

I am not keen to turn this into a debate as such, simply stating it how it is.

If you fit the category of a level 3+ - level 4 rider, and want to pay it forward and give a little back. Perhaps the annual weekender and the xmas ride are 2 opportunities a year, where you can tag along on a ride, give a chop out, offer advice etc etc etc....

2020 - Will be, one all in level 2 social ride at the annual weekender, and one all in level 2 ride at the xmas ride.

The world is your oyster for the other 50 weeks of the year.

Signing off by wishing each and every one of you a very happy and safe christmas, and an even better new year.

Cheers,

Geoffro

• Like 11

Well said Fro!! It's only 2 rides of the year that all levels ride together without feeling the pressure of riding with quicker riders! It's about putting faces to the names of riders we wouldn't normally see, maybe getting a couple of riding tips or giving some tips to others! These social rides are about sharing the one sport we all love!

• Like 6

I hope your soap box came from Pental products lol these are 2 social rides and a hole lot of fun in my opinion it’s the rides that give as all a chance to catch up with one another eat dim sims and drink beer  get on the bikes or not just to be a part of the dirtriderz family 

• Like 4

Wow, this has really shocked me-if you had of told me earlier you didn’t want multiple lvls rides - I wouldn’t have organised the lvl 3 ride, the last thing I would have wanted was for 50 riders to miss out of lunch (bbq)

My apologies to everyone-hopefully I can make it up to you all in the new year.

Merry Christmas all

• Like 11

“Let those who ride, decide”

All rides are, by their nature, optional attendance and I think there is room for some independent thinking and action provided it’s not harmful or disrespectful to other forum members.

The alternative is people ‘self select’ and go off grid rather than through the forum. I don’t have a view on if this is a good or bad outcome, but it is often the unintended consequence of imposing a regime which is not for everyone.

Some common observations from the level 2 ride on Saturday was that it was a dust fest (as was the level 3 ride, at times, with 17 ppl). From a safety/comfort viewpoint smaller groups can be more practical. There was plenty of opportunity for social interaction after the ride.

• Like 11

This is the exact reason to why i posted up in the xmas organised ride to members with plenty of notice, that if anybody objected to a higher level ride to be run at the same time as the main ride.  Nobody objected and a few members said it would be a great idea, so we ran with a higher level ride to cater for everybody. I can't believe as this was an issue and nobody mentioned it or hinted to me on the day. We ended up with 17 and 32 riders or thereabouts on both rides so that's not overly massive numbers for the amount of members we have. Lack of communication with and from moderators/members for some reason or another had a major breakdown here so lets improve on this for the future. 

When i first started with dirtriderz we used to run a seperate learners ride that ran at the same time as the main xmas ride and my mrs Tammy rode on these rides and she had a blast.She is not a good enough rider to go on the main ride so this worked great for her at the time instead of sitting in the carpark. Unfortunately now she doesn't even ride.

In the end, the rides will be run by on what the moderators want, so just put it in black and white what the go is and the members will either conform to this or organise something else for the day.

All good,everybody have an excellent xmas break and we will all catch up on a ride next year.    

• Like 15

Was having 2 different level rides really an issue or have I missed the point??

Id like to speak on behalf of the self proclaimed level 4 riders out there. We put on plenty of step up rides where we help out!! We go on plenty of lower level rides and do our helping mid pack!!. I helped Coggs set up his level2,loop at Dissa initially for all the level2 riders to enjoy!! And Coggs runs it quite well now by himself!!!

The Pre grand final ride is a big hit with all who attend( thanks to Gypsy’s hard work) and caters for many different levels. 

I understand if you want to make certain rides for all and I see this has now been clearly communicated.

I see you clearly state that it is not about getting numbers to these events. I don’t understand this statement??

It is the active members who keep this site alive. I ride with many groups but still post rides here because I’m Happy to pay it FORWARD!!!

Merry Xmas all

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3
Id like to speak on behalf of the self proclaimed level 4 riders out there. We put on plenty of step up rides where we help out!! We go on plenty of lower level rides and do our helping mid pack!!. I helped Coggs set up his level2,loop at Dissa initially for all the level2 riders to enjoy!! And Coggs runs it quite well now by himself!!!
The Pre grand final ride is a big hit with all who attend( thanks to Gypsy’s hard work) and caters for many different levels. 

I understand if you want to make certain rides for all and I see this has now been clearly communicated.
I see you clearly state that it is not about getting numbers to these events. I don’t understand this statement??
It is the active members who keep this site alive. I ride with many groups but still post rides here because I’m Happy to pay it FORWARD!!!
Merry Xmas all
Hi Buzz, the "social rides" is about getting everyone together at once for a social ride and gathering. I understand that they'll be level 3/4 riders that will occasionally attend a level 2 ride to help out, but that is a choice the rider has made on a level 2 ride. The yearly weekender and Xmas rides are open level rides.
Maybe to keep all happy the open social ride should incorporate a couple of detours to keep the more experienced riders happy. So while we are all riding together, we can have a hill climb that all can watch/participate or a chicken/rooster option.
2 minutes ago, dirt girlie said:

Hi Buzz, the "social rides" is about getting everyone together at once for a social ride and gathering. I understand that they'll be level 3/4 riders that will occasionally attend a level 2 ride to help out, but that is a choice the rider has made on a level 2 ride. The yearly weekender and Xmas rides are open level rides.
Maybe to keep all happy the open social ride should incorporate a couple of detours to keep the more experienced riders happy. So while we are all riding together, we can have a hill climb that all can watch/participate or a chicken/rooster option.

hi Dirt Girlie, yeah I get what your saying and I’m all for that if that’s communicated and it has now. I like helping and passing on knowledge to other riders if they want it. Some riders aren’t interested in help and are just happy doing it there way which is fine. Having a crack at the higher level riders for not paying it forward though is a bit rough!!

• Like 9

Merry Xmas all
Can look at it both ways, 2 sides to every coin,
Is it too much to ask, just to have 2 cruisy "all in" rides each year??

Its worked a treat for 9+ years, and now all of a sudden it needs to be changed?

Not fixing what's not broken

NOT EVERYTHING IS BLACK AND WHITE

In my discussions with quite a few DirtriderZ members over the years and further to what you all have read in regards to my own story which was not to attract pity but to bring awareness which has been successful due to members approaching me for a chat.

Basically our forum head is not as forward and open as myself mainly due to a love hate forum history but I would like to let you all know we have been supporting each other for the past year through hard times to the point where he had to leave forum monitoring to the other mods because he had to concentrate on his own health. It would have made things easier if he had publicly announced this but it was not the case so I feel I should speak on his behalf.

I have heard a lot of comments in regards to his lack of riding and appearances and hope this post answers a lot of questions. He could not attend and organise the BBQ on the day because he had been suffering for many days already and it was all to much. When you cant get out of bed let alone attending a major function please show some empathy.

I love riding and taking the piss with all of you and this is not a personal attack on anyone’s uninformed comments just a heads up for future perspectives regarding a fella that puts in a lot of time and money considering his challenges and keeping his chin up every morning the best he can.

In the words of Jeff Fenech I love yas all haha

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just going to my two cents only been a member for a year.
Understand what people are saying it’s a annual ride for all levels but the level 3+ 4 riders can’t really use their skills and knowledge forward on a level 2 ride. They are alway willing and offer step up rides for example Gypsy is the best and generous guy for doing this he has accepted people on he’s rides and they might slow he’s rides but he will never crack it, full of experience and knowledge so if a level 2 to 2+ rider wants to try he has all the time in the world. If anyone has a chance to ride with him buzz, mevstar then they are privileged if you ask me I’m sure there’s plenty more of experienced riders mick@neerim
My point is riders will never get better if these guys don’t offer their time and rides to help other members improve and if you can do this all in one day at a “annual” then why not go for it. Like I said been a member for a year and already know about a lot of “private” rides.
We need to be thanking and showing some appreciation to these great riders that are more than willing to help others out.
Know this was not meant to be a debate / argument but just what I think.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Geoffro said:

Can look at it both ways, 2 sides to every coin,
Is it too much to ask, just to have 2 cruisy "all in" rides each year??

Its worked a treat for 9+ years, and now all of a sudden it needs to be changed?

Not fixing what's not broken

No it’s not too much and now you have made it clear it’s all good.  Communication is the key and if that’s the intent of the ride I would be more than happy to join in!!

• Like 5
Timing is everything.

Let this topic go and it can be revisited in another 11 months. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all.
What do you mean by timing is everything ?
No it’s not too much and now you have made it clear it’s all good.  Communication is the key and if that’s the intent of the ride I would be more than happy to join in!!
Cheers Buzz,
Appreciate your understanding
  • Like 3
Just going to my two cents only been a member for a year.

Understand what people are saying it’s a annual ride for all levels but the level 3+ 4 riders can’t really use their skills and knowledge forward on a level 2 ride. They are alway willing and offer step up rides for example Gypsy is the best and generous guy for doing this he has accepted people on he’s rides and they might slow he’s rides but he will never crack it, full of experience and knowledge so if a level 2 to 2+ rider wants to try he has all the time in the world. If anyone has a chance to ride with him buzz, mevstar then they are privileged if you ask me I’m sure there’s plenty more of experienced riders mick@neerim

My point is riders will never get better if these guys don’t offer their time and rides to help other members improve and if you can do this all in one day at a “annual” then why not go for it. Like I said been a member for a year and already know about a lot of “private” rides.

We need to be thanking and showing some appreciation to these great riders that are more than willing to help others out.

Know this was not meant to be a debate / argument but just what I think.

Your way off mate.

We were not wanting the more seasoned rides to "use their skills"

Its more to help out, offer advice, technique etc...

You say uve only been a member for a year,

For the previous 9 years before that, things have ran fine.

Not sure why you feel the need to name drop all the way through your post either.....

But thanks for your spin on things

Your way off mate.We were not wanting the more seasoned rides to "use their skills"
Its more to help out, offer advice, technique etc...

You say uve only been a member for a year,
For the previous 9 years before that, things have ran fine.

Not sure why you feel the need to name drop all the way through your post either.....

But thanks for your spin on things

That’s all good mate. Have a great Christmas and be safe see you in the new year
  • Like 2
hi Dirt Girlie, yeah I get what your saying and I’m all for that if that’s communicated and it has now. I like helping and passing on knowledge to other riders if they want it. Some riders aren’t interested in help and are just happy doing it there way which is fine. Having a crack at the higher level riders for not paying it forward though is a bit rough!!
I really don't think anyone is having a crack at any riders paying it forward. The issue is that for 9 years we've had 2 open level social rides per year with no issues, but now a couple of better riders want to split off and have a harder ride. Is it really that big of a deal that we just keep one ride of the annual weekender and the Xmas ride as an open level social ride? There's nothing stopping anyone from organising that harder ride that finishes before the main social ride, that way everyone still gets to ride and socialize together. There's 50 other opportunities in the year to hold harder rides.

The rides i go on have all been awesome with great guys and girls of all abilities. And to be perfectly honest most of them could clearly ride a higher level.Have a safe and merry Christmas .Personally i enjoy those open rides 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Geoffro said:

But, as far as i am concerned, i am happy with how things have ran for the last 10 years, 1 group ride ( all levels ) on the one ride for the "annual weekender" and the "xmas ride"..

You might be happy , but I'm not and many others

1 The weekender

I don't want to drive for six hours to ride fire trails for two hours (moving time) when some of the best riding we have in the state is on offer and I usually shoot for 4 hours (moving time)  I get one chance a year to ride this area and I want to make the very most of it, and I'd so love to do it at the annual dirtriderz weekender ride with the rest of the L3 and above crew. 

It takes everything I love about Dirtriderz and turns it on its head.  It eats at the very core of the Dirtriderz ethic of being free and easy going and relaxed and offering rides to suit all riders we display every other day of the year by mandating you must attend this particular ride on this day or come and dont ride and suffer in ya jocks.  

Plenty of L3 and above riders are always willing to lead, sweep and chop out and offer advise and demonstrate technique on any posted large number lower level drz ride. The annual events are no different.

2  A Ten year tradition does not make it right.  100 year don't make it right., Look at slavery, womens right to vote the list goes on and on endlessly.

3 I have attended a Weekender and a couple of L2 xmas rides . On all occasions I found myself going gaga, I get frustrated and then I loose my shit and start cutting though the pack, I am a danger to lesser skilled riders and probably terrify them. I should not ride with them.  I then fall off and hurt myself. I then get my wits back and slow down and tell myself to not attend in the future.  Next year comes round and I want to see everyone.... Its a viscous circle Im trapped in.

Its simply not fair that L3 and above riders cant attend a major dirtriderz event and have lots of fun. 

Its serves no purpose other than imposing someones will over everybody else for the sake of a ten year bad tradition?

It is not about getting more numbers and people along to the annual weekender and the xmas ride. As it is a lot easier to plan and sort all the behind the scenes stuff for a ride or a weekender for 50 people, than it is 100 people....

No its not about numbers, Its about having fun in one spare time and if people are not having fun its not fun and people wont want to attend.

I am one.

I see you suggest that's fine as it less catering and organizing effort.  This comment I do not understand . How about if the L3 and above crew do their own catering and organising so as not to impose?

All I want to do is ride like I always do and then have a drink and snag with everyone else at the end of the day and then go to the pub and get loaded if its the weekender without being told where and with whom I must ride with during the day. Its a free world. I want to go to the weekender but i want to attend a L3 or above ride. 

If you fit the category of a level 3+ - level 4 rider, and want to pay it forward and give a little back. Perhaps the annual weekender and the xmas ride are 2 opportunities a year, where you can tag along on a ride, give a chop out, offer advice etc etc etc....

L3 and L4 riders are the heart and soul of dirtriderz and lead and sweep all the major rides, offer step up rides , mentor and guide and offer tech advice endlessly on the forum and moderate the forum.. To suggest its a twice a year way of giving is wrong, unless its giving people the shits of frustration, You want to attend but dont want to ride, but you really want to ride but not on a  L2 ride. 

I rode on Saturday , afterwards caught up with a few that attended the L2 ride and had a chat . I drove home happy and so did they,it was all good.  I see it as the way forward.  The GF rides were extremely well attended and everyone had a ball .

Yes the all in rides are fun for some, But not fun for all and isnt that what we should be shooting for? 

Cheers Pete

• Like 7