Custom CTI knee braces

I don’t often do a product review but I’m very impressed with these so I thought I’d post my thoughts. I recently suffered my second mcl knee injury at Wildwood this year( only partial tear)  so I decided it was time to invest in some knee braces.

Ive never used knee braces before so I visited AMX to try on what they had. There were 3 options, Mobius, Pod and Asterix( I know there are others available on the market too but this is what they had). After my first look at them I wasn’t convinced any of them would stop the sideways movement that I wanted to stop. I also wasn’t convinced the sales rep really knew what he was talking about.

Some of my mates use CTI so I made an appointment for a fitting( you can’t just buy them from a shop.

I tried the off the shelf braces and the first thing I noticed was how well they strap and fit to your leg. I also got measured up for some Custom braces and then left the appointment with a decision to make, off the shelf for$1800 or custom for $2400. I went custom as they have an extra hard section below and above the knee that wraps around the outside of the leg, helping to stop that sideways movement that would strain a mcl. You can see the extra section below the knee in the photo.A237EAEA-7A2D-4C8C-A24F-00834877776E.thumb.jpeg.f24b6fd261b3fe4cd0dfb5cecb9bff28.jpeg

Yes, expensive arnt they but consider this. What’s a knee reco worth in time away from work and the cost to have it done. If your already spending $800 ( carbon pods) or $1100 ( asterix) you have already made the decision to spend a lot of money. It’s a personal choice and  there is no guarantee that I won’t hurt my knee again,  but I’m happy knowing I’ve got the best knee protection I could buy.If you have private health you may be able to claim some back. They also come with a lifetime guarantee, you break them, they replace them!!

I rode today for 5 hours in them and didn’t think about them once!! 

• Like 22
1 hour ago, Bubalu said:

Good review buzz,:sorriso-02:

I've been umm'ing and ahh'ing about investing in a set myself. Currently run Mobius braces which fit ok. But custom fit CTI's are very tempting. 

Next time we ride Wade you can have a look.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, ktm-sean said:

so no operation needed if you partial tear something in your knee?

No, not in this case, but it does vary. The ligament can heal although it takes time as long as it’s not completely snapped. I’m no doctor but they do grade the damage on its severity. Some footy players completely tear there ligaments and are out for a season and some do more minor damage.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello All. 

My son and I both use custom CTi's and have done for some years.  Knee braces in general don't stop knee injuries, but a world-wide study did note that riders who use them are less likely to injury their knees on the bike.  Fit is the important issue, so a custom option or a sub-frame that contains the leg tissue well is required.  Protection from direct impact is also a must, so good shell strength makes sense.  Looking at the deep scratches on our CTi frames suggests they are absorbing plenty of impact.  Our business was the CTi  distributor for some years and our experience with them was overwhelmingly positive.......

• Like 5
  • 9 months later...
I don’t often do a product review but I’m very impressed with these so I thought I’d post my thoughts. I recently suffered my second mcl knee injury at Wildwood this year( only partial tear)  so I decided it was time to invest in some knee braces.
Ive never used knee braces before so I visited AMX to try on what they had. There were 3 options, Mobius, Pod and Asterix( I know there are others available on the market too but this is what they had). After my first look at them I wasn’t convinced any of them would stop the sideways movement that I wanted to stop. I also wasn’t convinced the sales rep really knew what he was talking about.
Some of my mates use CTI so I made an appointment for a fitting( you can’t just buy them from a shop.
I tried the off the shelf braces and the first thing I noticed was how well they strap and fit to your leg. I also got measured up for some Custom braces and then left the appointment with a decision to make, off the shelf for$1800 or custom for $2400. I went custom as they have an extra hard section below and above the knee that wraps around the outside of the leg, helping to stop that sideways movement that would strain a mcl. You can see the extra section below the knee in the photo.A237EAEA-7A2D-4C8C-A24F-00834877776E.thumb.jpeg.f24b6fd261b3fe4cd0dfb5cecb9bff28.jpeg
Yes, expensive arnt they but consider this. What’s a knee reco worth in time away from work and the cost to have it done. If your already spending $800 ( carbon pods) or $1100 ( asterix) you have already made the decision to spend a lot of money. It’s a personal choice and  there is no guarantee that I won’t hurt my knee again,  but I’m happy knowing I’ve got the best knee protection I could buy.If you have private health you may be able to claim some back. They also come with a lifetime guarantee, you break them, they replace them!!
I rode today for 5 hours in them and didn’t think about them once!! 

Hey Buzz
Can I ask where can you buy these in Melbourne cheers
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Knee braces as mentioned will not stop all knee injuries but if it prevents 1 acl injury they would have paid for themselves.

I personally rank knee braces as follows: CTi - they seem to be the gold standard, POD K8's - these are an Australian owned company and they can be used for other sports as well as motorcycle riding then Leatt's - which I wear.  Mobius / Astrix etc  next.

Lucky for me TAC paid for mine, but was not sure if they would cover the cost so the Leatt was what I could afford at the time.  They are full adjustable for fit as well as having extension stops.  Have not noticed any restrictions in movement while riding but feel a bit restrictive if trying to walk in them.  Due to the shape and design sometimes they will snag against the side panels of the bike but have never gotten stuck, and when getting out of the riding pants they will get caught up in the mesh lining but that could have more to do with the pants than the braces.

Thanks for the write up - I often wondered what the CTi's were like.  Before buying my braces I consulted with a prosthetic technician and we had a good discussion about braces before I finally came to the decision.

As mentioned before at $2800.00 it is still cheaper than an ACL surgery + time off from work + physio + lost riding time and other activities.

Knee braces are becoming like helmets - an essential part of the riding kit.

• Like 2