placebokarl

Advice for purchase (GPS) - Trail Riding (HELP)

Hi,

I am slowly going thought the threads (minefield) so I will ask the community to assist me on my purchase.

Bike - TXC310

Riding type - Easy trails (fun/adventure)

Location - Melbourne (VIC)

I preferably would like a separate rugged GPS with loads of mount options.

Cost: Not really a concern (sub $500 if possible)

What do I need it to do:

• Best possible maps (does it show trails?)
  • Best GPS accuracy
  • Plot my route so I can find my way back and review at home.
  • 12hr+ battery life
  • Sync with PC
  • IP68/IP7

Thanks ALL

Gday mate and welcome to the forum!!!

Pepperjack posted a great topic on GPS which you can view here >

Personally, l have a Garmin Oregon gps but looking at Pepperjacks thread and technology today, it seems a cheap android running locus maps or old iphone 6 with motion x and quadlock mounts are far easier to read...of course the trade off (IMO) is a proper GPS will work in dense bush whereas a phone, you will need to insure that you have downloaded the maps of the area you are going to if you want to run out of range.

• Like 1

Thank mate!

@Pepperjack, what mount do you use for the Blackview BV6000. As an Android man I like this option and if Locus shows me all the trails in VIC (or I can use Google) that would be great.

LOL: As long as I can find my way back. :laureato-01:

Thank mate!
[mention=5267]Pepperjack[/mention], what mount do you use for the Blackview BV6000. As an Android man I like this option and if Locus shows me all the trails in VIC (or I can use Google) that would be great.
LOL: As long as I can find my way back. :laureato-01:
I use the ram mount X grip..and other bits to mount to bars etc. I also make sure I have the phone tethered. It will come out at some point for some reason..so the tether catches it well. Keep tether very short.

Nothing has all trails in Vic..you share, find, map, keep yourself then re use. I always start a new area with an exploration ride...and just build from there.
  • Thanks 1

I use the same xgrip as pepperjack. On a 2 day ride in high country found it bounced out a couple of times. Luckily had it tethered

Will be adding some Velcro to back of phone and xgrip to stop it sliding over big bumps.

My quad lock snapped on first ride without the gps even being attached. Just put the bike down and something hit it and it snapped. Too brittle.

2 hours ago, Snowman said:

I use the same xgrip as pepperjack. On a 2 day ride in high country found it bounced out a couple of times. Luckily had it tethered

Will be adding some Velcro to back of phone and xgrip to stop it sliding over big bumps.

Does this hold up to trail riding: Looks a little flimsy (or am I looking at the wrong product)

No as would not stretch over my blackview. As I mentioned Over very rough ground at high speed it did jump out a couple of times over about 7hrs riding.

I am going to add Velcro to the middle of xgrip and back of phone to stop it moving.

• Thanks 1