riles

Classic Cobaw, with cheese. Nov 23

Here are a few pics from yesterday’s Cobaw ride. 

14 of us.  Dry and sunny conditions with the usual Cobaw rocks, dust and sweat. . The wind storm a few days earlier had pushed a few trees over here and there but we got around just fine.  The first half of the ride was a bit faster/flowing then after a lunch break and a flat (fixed quickly with the help of many and the human tyre changing machine =rider) we pushed on and did some slower technical tracks, then the “long rocky hills” sprint to the finish 

Habs took up first sweep, then rider, Dan and Brian. 

We did our 65km and finished at 2.30

No injuries = Good day on the bikes.  

Thanks to: rider and rat Finke for the cold beer and catering supplies, Nick300 for red wine.

Photo labels

Footy club photo 

lunch discussions/banter 

Flat fixing 

Rocky climb pics of various people including “Habs Jarvis” Stef, Dan, Eric, Robbo and Jono, rider and Nick300.  

Kmatts with a smile

Post ride debriefing 

9ACC2970-0F13-4A2E-8698-88DE7678D0A2.jpeg

E964395E-FA7B-4236-9EFA-4D6065E4A2D5.jpeg

32EA94E8-AEE8-4A8E-BEFF-93ECC4EF00AA.jpeg

02B4329A-94B0-42A1-96E0-D6F92B07FD20.jpeg

97E4E31D-00EF-49A1-A66D-B491486E0CF5.jpeg

FDA78B52-D3A8-491E-BAFA-59097D7B4E99.jpeg

EB42FCA5-7763-434B-A6EA-988A0A37EA85.jpeg

A08B9754-8061-4199-807E-895488D9F7C1.jpeg

7AD4D193-E081-43E9-8D03-6C18D1591917.jpeg

• Like 24

A great ride led by Riles at Cobaw

With the dry conditions everything, including rocks, boulders and fallen tress were very grippy, which meant there were very few bike and rider separation incidents.

Thanks to sweeps who shared the role around to get some rest from the dust. Habs that stick which lodged in my back wheel which we stopped for early in the day also sheared off a spoke which I only discovered when I got home

The post ride ‘cheese and wine’ event was heavy on beer and light on wine. Beer was the right tonic given it was warm and some of the ride sections were (for me) a little physically demanding.

Thanks to Riles and Dan for the catering.

Some pics below

338987a98000f9039c96a51fde362909.jpg6ed3f26afcabdc233e67d3c47fbddaf2.jpgf2f7fd6401aaea1160ad1b10e8f0ed29.jpg4d6606c8ed9efbbe9363a723e08de5d0.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks to Riles for putting on the Cobaw ride. It’s not we all seem to get to Cobaw these days so it’s super exciting when a ride is posted for this area, particularly L3 or more.

The day started with my warm up ride having me realise I had absolutely no rear brake...lucky stef and Kmatt were on hand to assist in the brake bleed🩸and fluid replacement - something I’ve never had to do before, so once it was done were all good to head off.

Riles gave the 3 minute warning and then Danns bike fouled a plug.... we did a short 10minute loop whilst he fixed it and we were off.

Great mix of tracks and terrain, quite dusty at times but not too unbearable.

Personally I loved all the rocky climbs and technical bits and my little Berg FE 250 continues to surprise me!!

Overall a great day out and no broken riders.

The cheese/crackers and Beer were a bit at the end!! We should do it more often!!

Until the next one!!!

• Like 15

Woke up 20 minutes late and started watching the clock as I prepared. Rushing around is never good as you no doubt forget something.

Left 10 minutes later than I would have liked but shouldn't be too late. The usual stop at the servo for last minute drinks, food and a chance for the last "comfy" toilet break. 

Headed down the Calder and set my cruise at max to keep good time. Watching the clock instead of other usefull displays, I missed my turn (&#$*....*^%$#). the next turn felt like 50 km away, probably 8. My GPS went into "we'll get you there another way" mode. Still watching the clock instead of other useful gauges (like the speedo) I got a done for 17km over (&%$#....*#&%$). First speeding fine in 15+ years, that will teach me, It's just not worth stressing and rushing..........

Get to the ride even later bacause I sat with the police pondering life's interesting quirky random events! Now that I have the days problems out of the way, lets ride.

What a great day, and in my favourite forest. Riles loop was mint with plenty of challenges along the way. As stated, a log here and there (and every where), a rock or two and plenty of hills. This was the ride with the lot! 

Great bunch of guys, ride flowed really well with only a few minor issues.

Thanks Riles for showing some awesome tracks, thanks sweeps for watching our backs, and thanks to all that provided the gormet indulgence to follow the ride.

Till next time, love you long time!

Cheers n beers,

Brian.

• Like 14

Riles put on a great day out on the bikes at Cobaw with a great crew. We had a few little mishaps along the way with Habs's rear brake before the ride, my bike flooding when I layed it on the ground for the group photo and getting the plug wet, Riles's puncture and later in the day Nick's front guard getting torn off (don't know how that happened). 

It's not very often I come across another 2 stroke YZ out on the trail but on this ride there was 3 of us ripping it up on our "god awful" kickstart only bikes. Great to ride with a couple of like minded fellows for a change...hoping to see a few more in the future maybe...Kmatts...

The dust was a bit of a killer at times finding it hard to see a decent line through the rocks, I rim bashed the front wheel so many times I can't believe I didn't get a puncture. That's all we needed after I already caused a hold up but thankfully not.

Awesome day, great to ride with you all again and hope to see you out on the trail soon.

• Like 18

Those rocks look delicious!   Good reporting everyone,  We all love reading a tale or two. Did you do Kmatts Birthday track?

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 8:21 PM, PeteV said:

Did you do Kmatts Birthday track?

Late ride report;

Pretty much Pete, except for the additional bit we did when Brian (Kbuxx) bike became a kettle. Cobaw is just a great place to ride. Well I rode three Yammie's on the day. Just before we were about to head off, Riles said here your riding this, a brand new 2020 yz125X, so I said ok, Well, it takes about 5 minutes or more to wipe that lazy 300 ride style off your face and then yes you have to ride it like stole it, and make sure you are in the right gear 100 % of the time, So for me, yes it does make for harder work, but will make you a better rider....... or so I am told, but the jury is out.  So I take my hat off to Riles how he gets that 125 around difficult terrain. 2nd. was a 250X very nice in every way except for a clutch you can't slip in slow rocky stuff. 3rd was Dann's bike, yz250 (highly modified) and wow it felt like being on a KTM, in the way the power delivery was. Anyway It was a great day out, and catch up with everyone.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, kmatts55 said:

3rd was Dann's bike, yz250 (highly modified) and wow it felt like being on a KTM, in the way the power delivery was.

Just to clarify the modifications to the power delivery. I had the head machined by Steve at Cisco's, he lowered the compression, altered the squish band and combustion dome. He also fitted a different powervalve spring that he has developed for the YZ himself as they are not adjustable or have different opinions like a euro bike. That's all.

I used to run a flywheel weight but I've been riding without it for 4 or 5 months now and don't think it's really necessary. The extra inertia gives a bit more traction and a bit more torque on hills.

I also fitted a WR426 gearbox from 1st to 5th. The low 1st gear is worth it's weight in gold (literally lol) when you need it.

• Like 4

He also fitted a different powervalve spring that he has developed for the YZ himself as they are not adjustable or have different opinions like a euro bike.

On a 92 -98 yz two springs are available as a different spring was made for the two stroke wr250. The 92-98:Wr also had a heavier flywheel, bigger tank,differnt seat, a wide ratio box, more plush suspension and a side stand!

Late ride report; Pretty much Pete, except for the additional bit we did when Brian (Kbuxx) bike became a kettle.

Ha ha fun times  

db0873d95a46aef321cb186d3b742565.jpg

6f1f780bd29c76fe93bac342a9972667.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PeteV said:

On a 92 -98 yz two springs are available as a different spring was made for the two stroke wr250. The 92-98:Wr also had a heavier flywheel, bigger tank,differnt seat, a wide ratio box, more plush suspension and a side stand!

Yeah 99 was a new motor and still the current motor. I bought a brand spanking new 99 model in November 98 at the age of 17 on apprentice wages. I loved that bike...

I've got an old ADB with a write up on the YZ250WR, I think it's from 91 lol.

• Like 2

Yeah 99 was a new motor and still the current motor. I bought a brand spanking new 99 model in November 98 at the age of 17 on apprentice wages. I loved that bike...
I've got an old ADB with a write up on the YZ250WR, I think it's from 91 lol.
I have a 96 WR :)8656fec72c33cbcaf7c48e6e3fcff7fe.jpg
  • Like 3

On 11/24/2019 at 6:59 AM, riles said:

32EA94E8-AEE8-4A8E-BEFF-93ECC4EF00AA.jpeg

Nice bike Riles , any chance that you've done a review on the 125x or related post somewhere,  would love to know what you think comparing it to other bikes , cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mick said:

Nice bike Riles , any chance that you've done a review on the 125x or related post somewhere,  would love to know what you think comparing it to other bikes , cheers

Mick, well spotted. My mistake in that photo was running low pressure in a standard rear tube 

I’ll give a few comments but the best review is to have a go next time we ride. 

It’s not my only dirtbike so I can choose but I ride this X - and before it my old 2009 YZ125 - a fair bit. In a word it’s fun. You have to want to ride it.  I’m not talking about reving and clutching everywhere, more about gear selection, throttle and momentum. It’s not a big bore, or even a mini big bore like a 200.  You don’t have to ride it fast to have fun though. The suspension, chassis/brakes are well set up by Yamaha, they’ve softened it a touch and got it right IMO.  

The motor is not bad but I was expecting more YZ. Instead the power is flatter, broader in general but down a few HP based on my rear seat dyno. It revs out nicely. 

It has, according to Yamaha, different CDI, power valve shape, lower comp head and pipe. You’ve probably already read the stats/tests Mick. The X set up is good in a lot of places however I miss the extra zing of the MX motor now and then.  You know me though. I’ll enjoy fiddling with it.  A TSP head and my Jetting recipe has perked it up nicely. BTW the 38 Mikuni is easily set up and works flawlessly on this bike. I changed the gearing to 13 52.  (13:50) but it could do with an Enduro gearbox and that’s one of the advantages of all the Euro Enduro 125s. I don’t want to get caught always comparing it to a Euro bike though. It’s a Japanese MXr essentially but it’s well built/reliable, super light, can handle a lot of my rides and they sell them rec regoed.    

PS:I reckon we’ll end up drag racing our small bores next ride. 

7C13E636-88D1-45EB-B651-2A9A9959783A.jpeg

• Like 14

6 hours ago, riles said:

7C13E636-88D1-45EB-B651-2A9A9959783A.jpeg

Thanks Riles for taking the time to write that , .much appreciated,  

• Like 1