Helmets! What to buy next?

After my crash on my Simpson trip the old helmet is due for replacement.

Currently I have a TLD Air which has been great..... so great I have had 2 Identical. (both have had knocks so should be replaced)

Its light (ish) 1450g... far lighter than the old Bell it replaced, Feels and looks like a quality helmet and seems to have good ventilation. Only issues ive had are I cracked the visors badly on both of them.

Now me not really caring about having the latest colour scheme all my previous helmets have been brought when they are heavily discounted but not seeming to have as much luck finding a cheaper deal on a high spec helmet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on helmets to try on or look at.

Budget $400 or below at the moment

At the moment the list to look at is:

TLD SE4 Poly

Bell MX9 MIPS

Airoh Twist

Answer AR-5 MIPS

Fox V2

• Like 1

I've tried a few different helmets on for comfort and fit.

Me personally I like the Leatt GPX 5.5 V11 helmet.

Pros:

We all crash. Sometimes hard, and sometimes even harder! There is solution to minimize the risk of a head and brain injury, however, and that is to get the best helmet you can find that reduces both rotation and impact energy to your head and brain. 

The GPX 5.5 Composite helmet offers world-class protection with 360 Turbine Technology. Turbines made of an energy absorbing material, are set inside the helmet. This technology has two main advantages, namely the reduction of rotational acceleration to the head and brain and the absorption of energy upon impact at concussion level. 

Leatt helmets also have a smaller outer shell volume, which benefits you by reducing the rotational acceleration to your head and brain in the case of a crash – proving that smaller shells are better. Our multi-density, V-shaped impact foam is molded directly to the outer shell, making it possible for us to reduce the outer shell size and achieve the highest level of impact protection at the same time. This is an unbeaten combination that makes all Leatt riders winners. 

Ventilation is another feature that most of us cannot get enough of. Look no further, as our helmets provide ample ventilation and, most importantly, the vents work well even at low speeds. 

So, next time you crash, see to it that you are protected by the best technology out there.  

• Composite shell in three sizes 
  • 360° Turbine Technology 
  • Reduces up to 30% of head impact at concussion level 
  • Reduces up to 40% of rotational acceleration to head and brain 
  • Reduced Outer Shell Volume 
  • A 10% smaller shell, transfers up to 20% less rotational forces to the neck, head and brain 
  • Multi-density, V-shaped impact foam molded directly to the outer shell significantly reduces G-forces transferred to the head and brain 
  • New Dri-Lex® moisture wicking, breathable, anti-odor and washable inner liner 
  • Optimal Neck Brace Compatibility 
  • Maximized Ventilation Optimized for Off-Road racing and effective even at very low speeds 
  • Visor with breakaway function for rotational reduction in a crash 
  • Emergency cheek pad removal 
  • Hydration ready (with optional hands-free kit) 
  • Certified and tested: ECE 2205 
  • Weight:
    • ECE from 1050g 

Cons:

Only thing I can think of is that due to the safety pop off of the visor on impact the screws come off. So each time I brush up against low bearing branches the visor pops up. Had a hit a while ago and just used tape to hold it back on.

Worth looking into as an option IMO.

Good luck with your search 

• Like 1

Went to try on some today at amx.

Tried on the airoh, fox v2 and the answer

Didn't like the fox felt like it was sitting on top of my head not around it.

Airoh was pretty good  very very light wish I could afford the higher spec versions they were even more comfy.

Also liked the answer pretty comfy and has the mips system. Price is appealing on this one run out model is 199 down from 375.

Want to try the other 2 before I make a decision. The TLD especially I have found cheaply overseas.

• Like 1
Do some research on Airoh's. I know they are nice and light, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they just meet the regs...not the safest lid out there.

And I’ve seen some videos on them will rusty buckles that will not do anything to save you, I believe they have changed with the newer models but i still wouldn’t trust them.
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Jessie said:

Look at the Just1 helmets as well similar design fit as the Airoh's and almost the same weight 

@Jessie hey mate I had a look at these helmets and yes good value - carbon, lightweight... BUT and I need to stress that the inner cheek pads are really rough! 

I couldn't imagine how comfortable the inner helmet would be on a 5 hour ride when your're - hot, bothered and your cheeks have been plained down to the bone. 

Food for thought?

image.jpeg.3454e7b0cf07afdb368b157704e94ba7.jpeg

I can vouch for the Just1 helmets. Ran mine for a year and a half now and has been great. It's a J12 full carbon. Pretty sure I've seen them around for less than $400 these days. 

Also available in XXL which was great for a boof head like mine:D

1 hour ago, Bubalu said:

I can vouch for the Just1 helmets. Ran mine for a year and a half now and has been great. It's a J12 full carbon. Pretty sure I've seen them around for less than $400 these days. 

Also available in XXL which was great for a boof head like mine:D

@Bubalu what was the inner like on the J12?

Fine mate. I just pop them out and throw them in the washing machine every 2nd-3rd ride to freshen up.

Only complaint if I'm really searching would be the little red emergency pulls for the inners... Can tickle the neck a little:D I just tuck them up out the way to stop this.

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Bubalu said:

Fine mate. I just pop them out and throw them in the washing machine every 2nd-3rd ride to freshen up.

Only complaint if I'm really searching would be the little red emergency pulls for the inners... Can tickle the neck a little:D I just tuck them up out the way to stop this.

Yeh I noticed that the red tabs ain't easy to pop in...

Went to mcas in keilor today to try some more. Tried another fox and liked it better today.

Bell mx-9 was very comfy and a contender.

Also tried leatt 3.5 and 4.5 they were very comfortable also and on the list.

Then tonight an add on Facebook pops up and Peter Stevens is having an MX gear run out. Brought a 2018 fox v2 for $70. Only one in medium left was a yellow one but worst case it will be a good one for my vintage bikes!

Will stay on the lookout for another one in the meantime. 

Screenshot_20190918-211304_Chrome.thumb.jpg.baa4ad74c2320ae8843a5c2a452f3279.jpg

• Like 2

I had a just 1 once .... that’s how many I will buy .... just 1!!!! Bloody thing fell apart within 6 months.

Running an airoh, also have a Fox v3 carbon that I reckon I purchased on sale for $400. 

Airoh is light, Fox breathes better and probably safer

• Like 2

I have just got a new just 1 j12 which I picked up from amx for $ 340

coming off the Troy Lee se3 which has been a excellent helmet about 5 -6 years old .the just one helmet is heaps lighter but proberly doesn't have the safety features as the more expensive current models very good helmet though .

Anyone had any feedback on the LS2 Subverter MX470 helmets?

1222005029_Screenshot_20190919-194107_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e4b0b31abfd5f8a3106557c9f5a63918.jpg

I have an LS2 but it’s an earlier model. I was very happy with it for the price I couldn’t fault it. Very comfy and great build quality other than the graphics on the visor which chipped easily. Wouldn’t be an issue with a solid color or if they’ve fixed that since. I changed to Airoh only for the lighter weight.
  • Like 2