Discodan

1998 CR 500R Restoration

Hi Guys,

I very excitedly picked up a 1998 CR 500R US import from the quarantine facility on Friday after patiently waiting a couple of months for it to arrive from Utah.

This is my first nut and bolt restoration, so I though I would share the journey as I always enjoy reading other build threads.

The bike arrived without any brake pads due to restrictions on importing asbestos, but otherwise it was all there. On first inspection it all looks as it was described on the ad, pretty rough cosmetically but overall in fair condition. I decided to throw some fuel in it and see if it would run after the journey and surprisingly it started after only 3 kicks, however there was a fair plume of white smoke so I suspect the head gasket was cactus. Time to start the strip down....

IMG-0510.JPG

IMG-0506.JPG

IMG-0507.JPG

IMG-0497.JPG

IMG-0495.JPG

• Like 8

The strip down was pretty straightforward, the only trouble I ran into was seized swingarm and linkage bolts, nothing a bit of heat and gentle persuasion couldn’t fix. 

Frame is in good condition with no dints in the rails and the head stem bearing races have no signs of wear.  Swingarm is a little beat up but minimal pitting and deep scratches, linkages look perfect besides the bearings.

I’m pulling down the engine tomorrow, so hopefully no nasty surprises!

B6A4F930-A9F8-442F-8A88-0F59E669EC1B.jpeg

DBC0528F-5FD6-4E74-ADB6-0988490A693C.jpeg

9D3BB50F-4604-4A83-96D2-4176F912E1C2.jpeg

DBC3A3AD-FD78-40BA-AC6E-DEAF392B62AB.jpeg

• Like 4

They love painting their frames White in the U.S

Look forward to seeing the updated pics mate.

• Like 2

I'm in the process of slowly building a 2000 model, I'll keep an eye on this thread. We will have to organise some big bore 2 stroke rides in the near future.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2019 at 1:00 PM, Dann said:

I'm in the process of slowly building a 2000 model, I'll keep an eye on this thread. We will have to organise some big bore 2 stroke rides in the near future.

Nice, how far along are you??

I didn't even get to ride the bike before tearing it down so I'll definitely be up for a big bore day!

This week's progress.....

Started stripping all of the cast aluminium parts so I can send them off to get hydroblasted. All of the bearings and hardware came out of the swingarm and linkage without too much drama which was nice.

I stripped down the engine and everything was in better condition than I expected. The previous owner obviously didn't care too much for cosmetics, but looked after the engine well. I've taken to the cylinder down to TSP to have the cylinder measured accurately an according to Dave it's still on the original bore. I probably could have just put another piston in it, however I'm going to have it rebored and honed to the first oversize as the pistons are prone to skirt failures if there's any slop.

Splitting the cases was relatively straightforward, although it got a little hung-up on one of the locating dowels due to some corrosion. The internals all look good, bearings and seals were all in good condition, but I'm going to replace them all anyway. I was in two minds about having the crank rebuild as there isn't any play in the bearings, but I may as well do it at the same time. Bearings slipped out of the cases with a little heat, only one requiring a little gentle persuasion.

Next step is to get the hydroblasting done and the frame sandblasted and painted. It'll be nice to see some fresh bits to keep me motivated!

IMG-0575.JPG

IMG-0572.JPG

IMG-0569.JPG

IMG-0568.JPG

IMG-0528.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Discodan said:

Nice, how far along are you??

I didn't even get to ride the bike before tearing it down so I'll definitely be up for a big bore day!

In my case the bike is in pristine condition with just about everything original except for the clutch perch, reed block and front plate, probably been ridden less than ten times in nineteen years. 

I'm in the process of replacing all the unobtainium genuine Honda parts with aftermarket, an expensive venture. I basically haven't done anything to it yet just been buying stuff when I have some spare cash, I'm getting closer to having everything now. 

• Like 3

Starting to make a bit of progress now.. I picked up my nice shiny bits from the hydro blaster and they came up an absolute treat! I've just finished painting the frame and couldn't help myself but to mock up some of the rear end to give myself some motivation. I'm into the tedious boring bits at the moment, such as cleaning up all of the bolts and cross checking the parts diagram to make sure everything is there and I've also decided to do my own zinc plating to keep the bike as original as possible. The plating process has been pretty satisfying as the rusty old bolts are coming up like new again so it's worth the effort.

Now I'm just waiting for all of my parts to arrive so I can start reassembling this thing.

IMG-0648.JPG

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG-0619.JPG

• Like 8

Great thread; I love the 500 2 strokes (although I prefer Green). I reckon a big bore get together / ride as part of next years RCHGFA rides would be good (and a good motivation to get the bikes done by then).

• Like 5