splints

they are not bullet proof...

so thursday night my 18yo goes to meet a mate in brighton...2 hours later he hasn't arrived... he is on an R6...messages go out where is he?????? problem is he is a good kid but a smartarse who is bullet proof... he drifts his car, unfortunately, illegally most times, he has a bike license but not to ride that bike... but the power of the bike isnt the issue... he can ride... problem is he pushes boundaries coz he is a thrill seeker....pushes the cops with brake stops etc.,.,i only know bc I spoke to the investigating seargent at moorabbin today  on what happened.... so i have the true story

well tell your kids he is now in the alfred in an induced coma...shattered pelvis...broken arm..broken jaw...lungs punctured...we have no idea of the extent of brain damage cos they cant bring him out yet...

he is showing good signs but the golden ticket is when they bring him out of the coma..and thats a few days away...hopefully he wakes up and says what the **** are you doing here...the other side is he can't wash or feed himself...yep we are shitting ourselves... I cant cry any more tears...

not asking for sympathy and the next 10 pages of sorry.... show your kids this post and tell them it can happen to them!!!!!!!

brutal I know gang...kids need to know

• Like 10
  • Sad 10

My thoughts are with you and your family mate during this extemely difficult time.

• Like 2

thanks mate...tell your mates kids...and show them my post....not about me and our journey... if they dont want 12monhs of rehab if they get off lightly...tell them they are not bullet proof

• Like 1

All the best to your Son, you and the family mate. I have already sent your post to my Son. Unfortunately, they have the “won’t happen to me” attitude way too often...

Very sad to read @splints

Best wishes to your whole family, who will be feeling the strain, and best of luck to your son for the path to recovery

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear mate! That is devastating news, thoughts and prayers are with you all. Praying for a full recovery.

Will be talking to my kids today!

• Like 1

thanks guys , as I said its not about me...its about trying to educate our kids that it can and does happen to them.....

anyway an update.... he was on level 20 sedation when his brain pressure was 17, it should be around 5-7. all other vitals, ie bp heart rate, oxygen levels have been great thank christ.

so today they tried to wake him up...level 5 sedation which still  is sleep strength but we may see a twitch or 2...his brain pressure has been 5-7 for the past 2 days which is pretty much what we all live in (i stand corrected if a member knows more).

anyway tomorrow at 6am he is being woken and is back in the game.... things are looking good.... but the brain damage spectrum is this when he wakes up (after initial disorientation)....

"what the **** am i doing here" ie 100% lucidity ..... to..... "i need a straw to have my yoghurt" ie my worst nightmare.

cross all that you have troops, I dont know many of you, but appreciate we are all parents who either have kids coming to the bullet proof age , some who have got thru it and survived including us old farts, and probably many who have young kids who don't have to worry about it YET...

tomorra is hopefully my fathers day present.... an 18yo son who forgot it was fathers day today and wakes up all good... it won't cost him a cent...he would appreciate that...and so will our family.

...stay safe

• Like 16

Mate.... I know your not fishing for sympathy, but my heart goes out to you and your family...
I can't begin to imagine what it's like to be in your shoes, but with a 17yo and a 15yo you are currently living one of my worst fears....

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed for the best possible outcome tomorrow...

And yes, both my boys will be shown this thread...

• Like 2

Mate good on you for wanting to try and prevent other families having to go through what yours is right now.
Unfortunately we all grow up thinking we are bulletproof.
As the old saying goes. It's all good fun until someone gets hurt. Often we find out too late that we went a little far.
Wishing ya boy a positive outcome from what could be said as a serious lapse in judgement.
I'm looking forward to a good news post very soon.

• Like 5

little bugger likes his kip...he was taken off sedation and painkillers at 6am yesterday....it wasnt until about 8pm he opened his eyes and moved his arms and legs... I was at home but mum was there with his girlfriend and a few mates... they all saw him move, eyes open...obviously he had no idea wtf he was...but its a good start... i saw him today and he opened his eyes when I asked him as i was showing him pics....he squeezed my hand...yep the tears flowed...
docs are surprised how is progressing...mri revealed no damage to body parts/organs...
he is kissed on the **** by a fairy that one.... pelvis operation tomorra to re-set with plates and screws...long road ahead but we on the right track.... still dont know the extent of brain damage (if any)...
kiss your testerone filled young blokes and show them this....
his 15yo brother brad has been a trooper, he now gets to take nicks sx250 away when we camp week after the grandfinal...nicko wont be needing it for a while

going to stockmans if anyone wants to tag along...i ride with brad, basic tracks....its all about the bonding with our kids

• Like 21

it is 3 weeks plus 3 hours since we first found out our son was involved in a crash...we found him 2 hours after he left our house...he had no id on him...his mates found him...3 weeks on...

so nicko is due to go to the epworth for rehab in the next day or so...paperwork in place  we are waiting for a bed... i reckon we don't appreciate our health system in victoria until we need it... add TAC...our police force/ambos etc.,.. and bugger me....i have had the first copper on-site asking how nick is...he may face shit bc he was riding what he shouldn't have been but he also said they may think he has been thru enough ...again TELL YOUR KIDS COPS AREN'T BASTARDS....THEY PICK UP YOUNG BLOKES EVERYDAY "BODY WISE" BC OUR KIDS CHOOSE TO TO STUPID SHIT...

any way nicko has 2 months at the epworth... he thinks a few weeks but we roll with that....brain damage wise? ...cant be sure he speaks slowly but as to where he was 3 weeks ago is a miracle... he has good short term memory...can pick his nose...and his spoon doesn't hit his ear... you can tell he is going ok...he also has a fair bit of remorse re what he has put us  all thru including, his girlfriend who dare i say it "he loves". he knows he should be buggered/dead... he doesnt know the full story but i will tell him when the time is right...

so in a nutshell.... we think another bullet roof kid has dodged a bullet....still not 100% sure he has no brain damage...., but show them this.... your kid may not be so lucky....

respect to you all .... the alfred in melbourne  rocks and will be getting a donation from me....will update soon in a week or so...in the mean time... TELL YOUR KIDS!!!

thanks to all that I know and have msg me.. I will be at stockmans the day after the granny for a few days with my other son doing easy stuff if anyone wants to join in...all about bonding...if you want a day or 2 with your kids...come along...easy tracks...cruiser will sort out the diehards...lol...

• Like 17

Glad to hear that your son is getting better Splints. I also really like your angle that you are reaching out with here. All the best with the recovery and Stockmans,. I think you have earnt it