Bubalu

Gypsy Goughs (translation=mini romaniacs)

Just woke up from a 9hour coma and before I run a Epson salt bath (omg my muscles!!!) thought I might do a little shout out to yesterdays ride.

Headed up the Friday night and quickly knocked up the swag to sit around the campfire for some dirtbike Chita Chita with the guys. Got down to zero overnight but was surprisingly warm inside the swag. 

As the sun rose so did we, having a little pre-ride breaky and coffees while glazing upon the mountain range we were about to tackle. We then geared up, warmed up the bikes (mine taking a roll start to get going:unsure:) and we were off. 

Even though the weather gods were kind to us with the sun lighting up the terrain, gee she was a slippery start to the day, often running 1 or 2 feet off the pegs for some safety stability. Carrying 3litres of fuel on my back, along a tool bag and 3 litres of water made for quite a change in balance I found aswell.

After a good hour to warm up and get comfortable with the conditions (also removing the fuel off our back) it was game on!!!! Up hill, down hill, up hill, down hill, off chamber to the left, off chamber to the right. Creeks and more creeks, let's also throw a bucket load of down logs in there for some good measure and position them on 45 degrees as the terrain wasn't already challenging enough.

A chance for a breather on transport tracks linking up the tight stuff were appreciated!!! Even though only 400m max!! Any chance to get a freshen up  before swinging the hips over the back guard, feathering the brakes and starting of another ridiculous hill descent. 

On the crew front, was a great group with a positive attitude to boot, on what I found to be very fun but challenging terrain. Gypsy doing his hill climb thing (#hillclimbchampion), Crusty railing the tight stuff  on his new 250tpi and Cluffie making technical areas look easy (particularly crankcase hill, if anyone knows this hill it's what nightmares are made of:D

All in all we covered 98km in 8hours 28minutes of riding time. Got back to camp with maybe 1ish litre of fuel left in the tank. Also whacked my fitness tracker with HR monitor on for this ride. Couldn't believe it 6300 calories dusted…...made the chicken and chips on the way home oh so sweet. 

Had a blast, thanks again Gyspy for putting the ride together. Till next time guys:applauso-01:

• Like 26

35 minutes ago, ohmygewd said:

You are evil Mick!!!:P

Bubalu...just crankcase mate...no hill..just crankcase:D

What a beast!! By far my favourite part of the ride. That last 20ish metres of crankcase from the top was just....wow.

Sharp left turn with next to no run up. The main climb being a mix of clay and an erray of mossy, slick large rocks. What a challenge it was to try an find some drive. Looking forward to trying it again. 

• Like 7

Well done Wade and I am going to vote Bubalu's ride report as going down for the best so far for 2019. Sounds like you guys had an epic ride and burning 6300 calories on a single ride, wow I may have to sign up, as need to lose a few kgs after all the C+W club meetings :)

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

GOUGH'S BAY

What a place to ride!!!

This was the first time needing to carry fuel for a ride so I knew I was up for a big day. 3 litres of water and 2 litres of fuel and some munchies, backpack was pretty heavy.
It was my first time at Goughs bay so didn't really know what to expect. I heard the views were amazing and the tracks were even better. That was spot on.
Over looking lake Eildon while on a nice flowy track was the best feeling ever.
Hills were endless, declines were steep but yet so enjoyable.
The tracks were pretty slippery and I experienced them first hand with a nasty tumble only about 30 minutes into the ride. Jumped back on the bike and had to get concentrating. With only about 30 seconds break between each track, my body was feeling definitely feeling it.
We then got to Crankcase. Rocky up hill after around 90kms of riding definitely put me in place. Taking whatever energy I had left in the tank. Watching Cluffie come by me through the rocks, just admirring how easy he made it look. Big thanks to Gypsy for riding my bike up crankcase because I exhausted.

I was going to say highlight of the day but there were a heap of them.
Cluffie coming past me on the rocks and making it look so easy
Bubalu doing a 360 degree pivot turn like he was on a bmx
Gypsy for smashing every hill climb with ease

Crazy riding up there. Definitely be back.
Thanks Mick for letting me jump on. Great bunch of blokes and good company around the fire too.
Catch up soon....

• Like 19

Awesome ride guys,you did so well. Weather was great and track conditions were good with some very slippery bits on the shaded sides of the hills. Uphills,downhills,steep,slick sections,rocks,views,logs,creeks,massive roos,deer,it had it all.
Gypsy led most of the ride, with me helping out leading here and there. Gypsy was having a bit of an off day by his standards but he still pushed through with no complaints being the true champ he is. We only stopped riding due to us running low on fuel and daylight so the boys dodged a bullet there,ha,ha. We have more planned to add to this loop guys so stay tuned and keep working on your fitness.
It was great to catch up again with some old time dirtbike buddies Syd,Troy and Geoff who so happened to be also up there dirtbike riding and were camping next to us.
Thanks heaps to Gypsy for organising the ride and for the others that attended. Glad you enjoyed it guys,till the next adventure.

• Like 16

you guys got any footage? it would be great to see so many great riders going for it....? although its better to see live but problem is us strugglers cant get there to see it...lol.

how about a loop where we can follow...gypsy et al does the narly shit and watch... whilst us plebs watch in awe and take the chicken track? we can then all return to camp, drink beer or softies, sociaise and talk shit?

oh and mick, bring your shinkos

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, splints said:

you guys got any footage? it would be great 

how about a loop where we can follow...gypsy et al does the narly shit and watch... whilst us plebs watch in awe and take the chicken track? 

The challenge with this idea splints is. The chicken tracks are still level 3. If there is a chicken track. Where they ride. Its rooster track or nothing most of the time

• Like 1

bugger.... well there is still beer and a campfire mate...can't say us strugglers arent adaptable...

see you at rosscos?

1 hour ago, splints said:

you guys got any footage? it would be great to see so many great riders going for it....? although its better to see live but problem is us strugglers cant get there to see it...lol.

how about a loop where we can follow...gypsy et al does the narly shit and watch... whilst us plebs watch in awe and take the chicken track? we can then all return to camp, drink beer or softies, sociaise and talk shit?

Sorry mate, no footage or snaps from my end. By the time the hand went in the pocket to retrieve the iPhone.....the group had already zoomed past. 

Goughs Bay -Dirtbike Paradise!

We couldn’t have asked for better weather conditions- Zero degrees at night - wet slick tracks & sun shine all day.

1x 10min break in 8hours & 20min , we literally didn’t stop all day.

Bubalu and Crusty you guys are riding extremely well , you must be happy with yourselves, you guys have taken your riding to the next level in the last 12 months, well done keep at it guys .

Thanks heaps Cluffie with your help leading through out the day, nothing stops you your the Stemroller .

Was good to catch up with old mates Troy Geoff & Syd

Thanks guys for coming along and having an amazing ride

Till the next one, Rock on

• Like 13

Sorry not enough time for pictures,lol After the GF ride il organise another camping weekend with Ohmygod and we can all head up there and have a play around, daylight savings then so more riding time.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

Sorry not enough time for pictures,lol After the GF ride il organise another camping weekend with Ohmygod and we can all head up there and have a play around, daylight savings then so more riding time.

Early October? Early Sept? Next Week :P

well from us lower level riders it would be great to see you blokes go for it on the narly shit....and maybe learn a few things....appreciate its not what you usually do..your time is valuable when you get a leave pass...I will bring steak or tofu...

• Like 2