Habs

Toby’s Tallarocks!!! Saturday July 13 2019 L3+

Hi all

Just got home from Toby’s Tallarook 3+ ride today, and I’m as happy as a pig in shite!!

What’s a great day out on the bikes started with 6 finished with 5

I’m happy my little 4stroke 250 made it pretty much up and down everything, albeit sometimes it was upside down!!!

I learnt today that punctured tubeliss(not the inner) are a great thing for traction as my ability to climb hills on the 250 get better when the tyre got flatter......lucky it was only flat on the bottom!!!

Tried a different line on a technical hill, now I still got up but this was after I didn’t make the line

I wanted to cross a gap between two boulders and from what the guys told me it looked spectacular when I was flying over the handlebars.....no injuries so all good.

Small oil leak on my little Berg so it’ll get some

Loving this week and ready for the next ride.

Great loop thanks Toby!!! Can wait to do it again!!

Great crew thanks to nasty,buzz and gypsy for sweep duties and the assistance when required!!

d4f88db30329970e66ff701e3242f00f.jpgfd0e482da0975ae1e12cac9a48755016.jpg

• Like 22

Hey Habs,

Thanks for the positive feedback :-)

It was great to ride with you all, and I wish I could have observed everyone else’s riding a bit more (difficult when the lead rider).

The highlight of my day was seeing Gypsy501 make it up Willies track (the gnarly way up) without stopping or getting stuck. Epic effort, and I hope that I gain the skills to accomplish that one day.

Funniest moment was when we were towards the bottom of what I call ‘the gorge’, then with a sprinkling of rain, the rock surface became so slippery, we couldn’t make it up...the wheels were spinning and we weren’t moving at all. We thought we were trapped with no way out. Cluffie and I (both running Shinko 505’s) ended up getting just enough traction to make it out, whilst the rest of the group had to find an alternative route which was a pain in the @rse, but these challenges all add to the experience. I won’t venture back to that spot if rain is forecast! 

Thanks again to all the riders for sharing today’s ride... what a perfect way to spend a cold winters day!

Cheers, Toby

• Like 19

After reading that, I’m even more gutted about missing this ride... Gypsy makes most hills look good

Glad you boys had a good one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Who's Gypsy??? I think the bloke everyone is talking about is named - "THE MOUNTAIN GOAT"!!!!!! :happy-05:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Its been a long time since I’ve needed my bike dragged up hills all day. There were very few hill that someone didn’t need to help me.

Buzz thanks for the help and encouragement 

cluffie thanks for the efforts dragging me up those hills

gypsy coming back down hills that I don’t know how he got up to help 

habs Human strong man helping drag my bike when I just had nothing left 

I was destroyed After this ride , my forearms are  permanently cramped now , not sure whats going on there so a trip to the physio is on the cards  

Thanks for the ride Toby and the effort put into creating the loop. The Gorge Was a nice place but what a laugh when it started raining and those rock were so slippery that walking was an issue let alone trying to move 100 kg bike 

• Like 14

OH FOR F**KS SAKE STOP RUBBING IT IN BOYS...!!!

Give it a few days mate and I’ll post a ride video just for good measure!
  • Like 1

Habs... mate, I’m really looking forward to seeing the video footage! 

Cheers, Toby

Habs... mate, I’m really looking forward to seeing the video footage! 
Cheers, Toby

I’ve briefly looked through what I got and I think there’s some good stuff in there. It’ll take me a few days to edit then I’ll post it
Looking forward to your next ride mate!!

Awesome. Yeah, I’m looking forward to it as well. Will be back from Europe at end of August and will be super keen to ride again as soon as the jet-lag is gone. Cheers, Toby.  

OK so I found some time today and got some footage edited.

Hopefully you all enjoy!!

• Like 22

Cluffie that didn't take you long to switch to the 505.... I've been running one for a few rides and love it. Great tyre. Wish I could have been there on this one, but was not avaialble till 10.30am. Well done to the team that attended. 

Nasty, if you want forearm pump, try running my forks......

Hey Toby, when you get back from tour Euro trip, I would be keen on your Chewton loop as well. Actuallly saw you pull into Wallan on Sat late arvo, as I ended up having a gentlemans ride at Dizza which incorporated the Buzz goat off camber trail in reverse which made things interesting!

• Like 1

Great vid Habs  , best i've seen in awhile.  

That ride looked so good , looking forward to getting back to Tallarook for a ride again sometime soon.

• Like 2

Habs... great video mate - Thanks heaps for posting it. It’s interesting to see things from your perspective. Some great moments in that footage!  Your ‘woo hoo’ was the highlight for me! LOL. 

• Like 1

Habs... great video mate - Thanks heaps for posting it. It’s interesting to see things from your perspective. Some great moments in that footage!  Your ‘woo hoo’ was the highlight for me! LOL. 

Hahahah it’s great when it goes to plan!!
  • Like 1

What a great day out with the crew today. With the tracks being wet from all the rain we have had, i knew this ride was going to be a cracker.  Thanks to Toby for turning it on and adding some of the tougher hills that tallarook has to offer to his usual loop today.

Nasty,you certainly did it tough today.  Get out on some higher level rides to build up some ride fitness and you'll find it alot easier next time. 

Habs, you did well today considering you had a spell from the dirtbikes for a while. Your uphill rock step hand stand was right in front off me,wow you came out off that well. The little 250 copped a hiding today and was leaking oil,rattling and smoking badly at times. Welcome back mate.

Gypsy,  the " hillclimb king" killed it again with his brand new golden tyre soft.

Buzz,was Buzz and conquered everything thrown at him.

Toby,awesome riding mate and well done on putting this loop together.

Myself,had an awesome day out on the trails with the crew and got through it all. 

Thanks to Nasty,Buzz and Gypsy for sharing the sweeping duties. 

• Like 14

What a great day out with the crew today. With the tracks being wet from all the rain we have had, i knew this ride was going to be a cracker.  Thanks to Toby for turning it on and adding some of the tougher hills that tallarook has to offer to his usual loop today.
Nasty,you certainly did it tough today.  Get out on some higher level rides to build up some ride fitness and you'll find it alot easier next time. 
Habs, you did well today considering you had a spell from the dirtbikes for a while. Your uphill rock step hand stand was right in front off me,wow you came out off that well. The little 250 copped a hiding today and was leaking oil,rattling and smoking badly at times. Welcome back mate.
Gypsy,  the " hillclimb king" killed it again with his brand new golden tyre soft.
Buzz,was Buzz and conquered everything thrown at him.
Toby,awesome riding mate and well done on putting this loop together.
Myself,had an awesome day out on the trails with the crew and got through it all. 
Thanks to Nasty,Buzz and Gypsy for sharing the sweeping duties. 

Hahahahaha cheers Cluffie, I was just hoping for the best all day long....a few more rides and I’ll be more competent .
The poor little 250, I was clearly trying to kill it but it just kept on giving......it goes in for rebuild on Wednesday
  • Like 4

Wow, what a ride TOBY you done it mate, this ride ticked all the boxes for me, earlier start time, prime DIRTBIKE riding conditions, a solid full days ride, plenty of challenging hills, endless flowing tracks, not many breaks, a good fun crew with plenty of banter, a true lvl 3+ ride.

Big thanks again to TOBY mate you have done a awesome good with Tallarook, I can’t wait to do it again.

Thanks also to Cluffie Buzz Nasty & Habs for a great day out on the bikes.

High Light for me was watching Habs smash through rock garden hill climbs like they weren’t even there, your a natural mate.

Till the next one guys, Rock On

• Like 10

Hahahahaha cheers Cluffie, I was just hoping for the best all day long....a few more rides and I’ll be more competent .
The poor little 250, I was clearly trying to kill it but it just kept on giving......it goes in for rebuild on Wednesday
A few more rides and you'll be back to where you left off.
You may have to look at running uhd tubes or mousse tubes if you keep wanting to run starcross5 rears,pissweak at best with tubliss. 2 flats in 2 rides and a few others i remember on other rides. Lucky you've got the tough blue did dirtstars mate.

A few more rides and you'll be back to where you left off.
You may have to look at running uhd tubes or mousse tubes if you keep wanting to run starcross5 rears,pissweak at best with tubliss. 2 flats in 2 rides and a few others i remember on other rides. Lucky you've got the tough blue did dirtstars mate.

Food for thought indeed, it’s the third flat I’ve got over time with that set up, maybe something in it, mousse I’m not sure on, never used them. I’d need some more technical advice on what to get etc....as I like a squishy rear tyre

Food for thought indeed, it’s the third flat I’ve got over time with that set up, maybe something in it, mousse I’m not sure on, never used them. I’d need some more technical advice on what to get etc....as I like a squishy rear tyre

UHD’s work well for me. I run my rear around the 7-8lb mark. Fortunately I have only ever had one flat and that was on my old Red Earthmover...

I just give the tube a good eyeballing whenever I change the tyre. If its showing excessive wear from where they tend to rub against the bead at low pressures, then I’ll change it. Usually 1 tube per 2 or 3 tyres. Keep a close eye on your lock as well, they don’t last forever.
  • Like 1

Grouse vid @Habs and its really good to see you jelling with the 250. Looks like you are smashing it. Great reports guys, makes me want to be out there with ya's

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 12:12 PM, Habs said:

@Habs I've tried the Pirellis and the shinkos with the tubeless system. No issues so far... in saying that I ain't the fastest rider out there lol

Food for thought for ya...