Gypsy501

WARNING - Tallarook Cable

Metal Cable across track

I was talking to a mate yesterday, him and his brother were riding Tallarook last Friday-heading up the track to the very popular look out when his brother who was leading got cleaned up from a cable tied across the track from 2 trees.

Very serious guys please be careful.

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

Iv just been talking to a couple of mates and the famous Tallarook look out that all of us Dirtridez have been to actually is Private Property can anyone confirm this ?

The other question is can a land owner do whatever he wants ( cable across tracks ) on his property?

Not fenced of or any sings saying Private Property?

• Like 1

Iv just been talking to a couple of mates and the famous Tallarook look out that all of Dirtridez go to is actually Private Property can anyone confirm this ?

The other question is can a land owner do whatever he wants ( cable across tracks ) on his property? Not fenced of or any sings saying Private Property?

I would have thought the intention of harm, directly or indirectly, whether predicated as an ‘animal deterrent’ or ‘temporary gate’ is illegal.

I have heard of farmers pull the ‘keeps the roos out’ thing before when stringing a single wire between trees, over access tracks.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

Iv just been talking to a couple of mates and the famous Tallarook look out that all of us Dirtridez have been to actually is Private Property can anyone confirm this ?

The other question is can a land owner do whatever he wants ( cable across tracks ) on his property?

Yes, there used to be signs up.

I don't think you can do what you want on your land if your intent is to injure somebody.

• Like 1

Yes, there used to be signs up.
I don't think you can do what you want on your land if your intent is to injure somebody.

I haven’t been up there for a few years, but the guys the other day said they seen no signs.

i've been told that lookout is private property but last time I was there (one of the school hols '18) people were camping, definitely no signs up . A bloke was even hitting golf balls into oblivion off the rocks. 

Poor form stringing up a cable across the track, hope your mates brother is ok.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I would have thought the intention of harm, directly or indirectly, whether predicated as an ‘animal deterrent’ or ‘temporary gate’ is illegal.

If someone got injured I'm pretty sure whoever did it will have broken the law, but, who's going catch and charge them????

If I can't protect my bikes with a lethal booby trap then this fella can't put cables across tracks either.

A simple "private property keep out" sign where the track crosses the boundary would make me stop and ride elsewhere.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

Yes it is private property  but 200m down from that spot is forset I had I chat with the guy years ago

Yes it is private property  but 200m down from that spot is forset I had I chat with the guy years ago

Do you know if there is any signs up saying private property Daniel?

You can actually use GeoVic to see EXACTLY what is crown land and what is not, right down to the exact GPS coordinates. If you watch the first 4 minutes of this video the guy covers off how to get the map setup to view crown land boundaries. Ignore the title of the video, it's really a tutorial for the GeoVic map site, very useful.

You can do what ever you chose to do on your property (legally) no different than you putting a wire cable from one end to the other in your back yard.

But we live in a society where a trespasser can take someone to court and receive compensation for hurting themselves on a cable run from end to end of a backyard they are deliberately entering unlawfully. 

If you have property adjacent to a forest and you don't make a reasonable effort to mark your boudary then don't complain if people cross it. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Dann said:

But we live in a society where a trespasser can take someone to court and receive compensation for hurting themselves on a cable run from end to end of a backyard they are deliberately entering unlawfully. 

If you have property adjacent to a forest and you don't make a reasonable effort to mark your boudary then don't complain if people cross it. 

If the property in question borders a Forrest and the land owner doesn't take reasonable action to mark his or hers boundary ,then yes a large amount of blame will lay with the owner. If the property is similar to the large paddock that's private in Mt Dissa approaching Hamburger one ,and the cable is put in the centre of this property ,then yes the blame lays with the trespasser.

1 hour ago, sg67 said:

If the property in question borders a Forrest and the land owner doesn't take reasonable action to mark his or hers boundary ,then yes a large amount of blame will lay with the owner. If the property is similar to the large paddock that's private in Mt Dissa approaching Hamburger one ,and the cable is put in the centre of this property ,then yes the blame lays with the trespasser.

The cable in question is across an existing track that runs into the property. 

If I put a shotgun booby trap on my garage door and some thieving cont gets their head blown off trying to steal my bike is it their blame or will I be locked up?

If someone kills themself on the cable then how is it any different? 

• Like 1

What you have described should be reported to police before someone gets killed.