imnotsure

Fuel Economy 2017 te300

Hey guys,

I have got a te300 that is using a fair bit of fuel, averaging around 65km to a tank which seems very excessive. Its just been fully rebuilt, but was getting very similar km's previous to that aswell. What jets does everyone use in their carbys? i'm not sure which ones i have in at the moment. Just looking for a bit of advice.

TIA

14 minutes ago, imnotsure said:

Hey guys,

I have got a te300 that is using a fair bit of fuel, averaging around 65km to a tank which seems very excessive. Its just been fully rebuilt, but was getting very similar km's previous to that aswell. What jets does everyone use in their carbys? i'm not sure which ones i have in at the moment. Just looking for a bit of advice.

TIA 

Hi mate,

JD Jetting kit will take that 65k's to about 100k's.  Had exactly same mileage issue myself.

• Like 1

JD jetting did not make much difference with my Mikuni carb 

Put a Kehin carb from Two Stroke Performance with their jetting and it solved all fuel economy issues

Hi mate,
JD Jetting kit will take that 65k's to about 100k's.  Had exactly same mileage issue myself.

I done this and help me get 80ks
JD jetting did not make much difference with my Mikuni carb 
Put a Kehin carb from Two Stroke Performance with their jetting and it solved all fuel economy issues

Save $1000 and put it towards a tpi imo

Hey guys,
TIA

To help you out get a little bit better fuel economy and not spending to much money the JD jetting kit would be your best bet mate.
  • Like 2

I’ve seen a few orange and white bikes piss a fair bit of fuel out of the float bowl vent line at slight lean angles. You may want to check the float level and even on some of the newer carby models I’m pretty sure ktm did a service memo on carby orientation.

• Like 1

You need to loop the drain hose from the bowl. This was done for the 18 models.

Before going down the re-jet route get a jet block gasket kit from JD jetting. Known issue with the gasket failing.

• Like 1

You need to loop the drain hose from the bowl. This was done for the 18 models.
Before going down the re-jet route get a jet block gasket kit from JD jetting. Known issue with the gasket failing.

Spot on. I threw countless hours into tuning the mikuni on my 17’ TX, but it was worth it in the end. Even when it went from bad to worse...! Just remember to keep track of any adjustments you make. The float level played a big part in some of the factory issues I was having as well.

Running a Gnarly pipe, red spring, and a slightly increased compression height, the best tune for mine is;
P- 52
M- #450
N- 43-73 (2nd position)
A/S- 1.25 - 1.5 turns out depending on summer / winter

I usually get just over 100km out of a standard tank.

Spot on. I threw countless hours into tuning the mikuni on my 17’ TX, but it was worth it in the end. Even when it went from bad to worse...! Just remember to keep track of any adjustments you make. The float level played a big part in some of the factory issues I was having as well.

Running a Gnarly pipe, red spring, and a slightly increased compression height, the best tune for mine is;
P- 52
M- #450
N- 43-73 (2nd position)

Do you get a 100ks out of a tank on your lvl 3+ dindi ride ?

Do you get a 100ks out of a tank on your lvl 3+ dindi ride ?

Depends how many attempts I have at the same hill...

Nah generally drops to around the 85km mark if its hard going terrain. But on a flowing 2+ it’s around 100km yeah.

All comes down to how much work my right hand is doing...!!
  • Like 1

Depends how many attempts I have at the same hill...

Nah generally drops to around the 85km mark if its hard going terrain. But on a flowing 2+ it’s around 100km yeah.

All comes down to how much work my right hand is doing...!!

I was going to say, you had me worried there for a minute- I was starting to think your lvl 3+ dindi ride was all fire trails to get 100ks out of a tank I know the TX has a 10l tank compared to the 8.5l tpi .
  • Like 1

They are certainly a very sophisticated machine, I’m yet to have a decent ride on one. But for the time being my TX still gives me lots of loving

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

You mean buy a Yamaha WR450F Danial?emoji13.png

Na ktm 4t  really good I get 210km out of the 350 on 11.5 litre vs 98 on the tpi with the 11.5

• Like 2

Na ktm 4t  really good I get 210km out of the 350 on 11.5 litre vs 98 on the tpi with the 11.5

Team Orange now Danial

Na 50 /50 at the moment  but might go to sherco with there factory 3002t or 450  I just need a good ride on them as I'm liking what I'm seeing as ktm with Yamaha  part working  atm

Should be able to get 80km's out of a tank with good on the rich side jetting on the bike with the stock carb with stock needles.
Pay attention to setting the correct float height as they come delivered from the factory to high.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cluffie said:

Should be able to get 80km's out of a tank with good on the rich side jetting on the bike with the stock carb with stock needles.
Pay attention to setting the correct float height as they come delivered from the factory to high.

Have had the carby looked at and the float height reset. I am liking the idea of the gasket check/change. I will look at my carb settings and see where this carb is sitting in comparison

• Like 1

P- 52
M- #450
N- 43-73 (2nd position)

Murdoch that pilot size you have quoted is wrong.

Personally have found when fresh for ride or so use a little more fuel. Riding gnarly stuff and or putting the bike down will drop your fuel range I get anywhere from 60-80km max depending on how hard the riding thats is with a keihin, on fire road 120k.

From my memory of that carb 

P/J 32 M/j 430 N-43-73 2nd clip set the float and also looped the overflow   

• Like 1

From my memory of that carb 
P/J 32 M/j 430 N-43-73 2nd clip set the float and also looped the overflow   

That sounds about right.

Cluffie, I would need to consult my notes, but it might be a 50. I don’t think the TMX pilot jets go much bigger than 50, readily available at least.

I remember starting at 32.5 then to a 40, then a 45 with 1.5 turns out. That worked okay for winter, but when summer came it still wanted a little more fuel.

If your needing to run a 50 pilot then you are bandaiding an airleak somewhere in the pilot system and most probably it will be the jet block gasket has blown out.

• Like 1