Discodan

Best place to take a newbie

G'day guys,

I'm taking a mate on his first dirt ride in a couple of weeks and looking for a spot that's close to Melbourne and won't be too challenging, but still fun. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

• Like 1

G'day guys,

I'm taking a mate on his first dirt ride in a couple of weeks and looking for a spot that's close to Melbourne and won't be too challenging, but still fun. Any suggestions??

Thanks!
Depends on where you are in Melbourne mate if in the east the Narbethong/Marysville area is a good spot mostly firetrails but can be very slippery when wet due to the red clay! In the West I'm not to sure but have ridden at whipsticks and that would be a good spot plenty of the tighter stuff which is mostly flat with some good entry level climbs available hope this helps a bit mate!
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, berg.300simmo said:
6 minutes ago, Discodan said:
G'day guys,

Thanks!

Depends on where you are in Melbourne mate if in the east the Narbethong/Marysville area is a good spot mostly firetrails but can be very slippery when wet due to the red clay! In the West I'm not to sure but have ridden at whipsticks and that would be a good spot plenty of the tighter stuff which is mostly flat with some good entry level climbs available hope this helps a bit mate!

I'm in the inner west, so will probably look to stay over that side. I'll check out whipsticks, thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

Depending on which side of Melbourne you both live, the closest tracks with endless easy flat L1 firetrails are :

Kinglake = 70km = 1hr 20mins
Warburton = 78km = 1hr 30mins
Anglesea = 122km = 1hr 40mins

The firetrails on these tracks may get abit slippery but are largely unaffected by heavy rainfall.
This time last year rode in Gembrook which had some firetrails upto a foot deep in mud & quite difficult for a beginner.
Hope this helps

• Like 1

Whipsticks-Ballan is the best spot all year round I take beginners

Sorry Simmo I wouldn’t be taking a beginner to Narby this time of year.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

We have taken big groups of beginners to Narbethong in the pissing rain it's been a great day

• Like 3

No probs mate I learnt there and I reckon it teaches you how to handle the slick stuff! If you head into the triangle at granton it's not to bad either

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like Whipsticks will be the go. Is it a kind of place where we just park and explore, or are there some good tracks to look out for?

I agree with Bungal forest at Ballan.

Lots of little tracks and only a few main roads so it's very hard to get lost.

• Like 3

My vote would be the area around Macedon..  Unload here and ride.  You'll find LOTS of easy stuff .. and then up to super greazy and hard if you want, just go further up the mount. The area just close to where you unload is perfect.. play around in the scrub there plus there are pine forests opposite the rail line also and a lake.. tons of tracks. .. all close to the car so if you have issue or he breaks a lever etc you're real close to the trailer. 

It's also easy to get to.. just off the Calder freeway.  Calder freeway is one of the easiest routes in to and out of Melbourne area these days. 

If you want a L1+ ride around this way.. just reach out, happy to set one up. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, cobraone said:

whipsticks for sure.lots of tracks,small area.all big hills are options.

Must get out there myself Cobra!

Ballan - Whipsticks. Close to your vehicle yet plenty of forest to keep you entertained. My first DRZ ride was there... aaahhh the good old days lol:grigliata-01:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pepperjack said:

My vote would be the area around Macedon..  Unload here and ride. <snip>

I didn't know you could ride in there, I thought it was only on the Blackwood Rd side where Wombat is?