Just wondering what  knee braces people are using. Been looking at the Leatt z frames. They seem pretty good as entry level. Currently using knee guards but the old knees need a bit more support. Cheers in advance.

• Like 1

I ran the pod k400
Definitely spend the money and buy yourself knee braces , it’s to late to spend the money after the injury has happened.

• Like 3

Just a suggestion - have a think about the type of ‘support’ you’re looking for. I know all the data tells us that braces smash guards, but sharing my experience - went from 20 yrs of crashing wearing decent knee guards without injury, to braces. Dislocated my kneecap second ride in through a pretty basic impact of knee into ground with asterisks. No doubt they’re superior for protection when it comes to twisting, hyper extension and related injuries, but I’m yet to find braces that offer the type of impact absorption I’m looking for. The asterisks were a bit light on IMO and transferred the impact straight on to my patella. I Just can’t seem to find braces that feel like they’re giving good knee impact protection without compromising either mobility or comfort. Like the look of the mobius though    (haven’t tried them yet). Good luck. 

• Like 1

Just a suggestion - have a think about the type of ‘support’ you’re looking for. I know all the data tells us that braces smash guards, but sharing my experience - went from 20 yrs of crashing wearing decent knee guards without injury, to braces. Dislocated my kneecap second ride in through a pretty basic impact of knee into ground with asterisks. No doubt they’re superior for protection when it comes to twisting, hyper extension and related injuries, but I’m yet to find braces that offer the type of impact absorption I’m looking for. The asterisks were a bit light on IMO and transferred the impact straight on to my patella. I Just can’t seem to find braces that feel like they’re giving good knee impact protection without compromising either mobility or comfort. Like the look of the mobius though    (haven’t tried them yet). Good luck. 
I got my pods years ago now (k300 I think - it was when they first came out)....

The 2 main braces at the time were the pods and an offering from Asterix....

Tried them both on but in the end my decision was made with exactly the same concern as you have highlighted in mind. That being impact protection for the knee cap. The Asterix of the time (not sure about the current ones) had a floating knee cap protector which would have stopped a stick or simulate puncturing it but any impact force would go straight to the knee.. The appeal with the Pod (which I believe still run the same basic design) was that the knee cap guard is rigidly mounted to the brace at two points (into the hinge mechanism on both sides). In theory this means that as well as providing puncture protection, any impact force is distributed via the mounts into the frames then spread across/along your legs...

The big thing with knee braces is to try them on - don't just go off a measuring chart and order a pair online - the measurements can be hard to get right and like helmets, some braces just don't suit some legs!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The biggest benefit that braces do is hyper extension so if the fitment is sloppy, it doesn't matter if they cost $800ea if they move about then it won't do it's job.

Those Z Frame braces seem to be the first proper knee brace at a price point that cost the same for a pair as one, say Leatt X frame...difference? Without owning a pair, i'd say the Z Frame is not as light or torsionally strong like the X Frame (composite vs carbon, aluminium vs steel hinges) but are CE rated and certified medical devices.

I don't think you can go wrong buying the Z frame's as your first knee brace - just remember they won't stop a ACL/MCL but it will help prevent them like when your boot catches a rock or root existing a corner and the leg gets flung back...it might be sore but this is the situations where a tear in the knee happens!!

• Like 2

Cti custom  are the best by far as it will build  them for your knee with 24 year warranty  but if cost a thing try Mx pod their do probably  70% as good as cti and myself I been tuning pod for 4 year with out knee injury  where did both knee twice before  that

• Like 1