LuRkIn

19 300 tpi exc or 19 350 excf

Hi

Getting back into dirt bike after a long break but just can't decide on what bike i should get.

I have only ever owed 2 strokes but have ridden a 2016 350 sxf witch i quite enjoyed. I can actually get the 350 cheaper but I keep changing my mind a thousand times haha.

Would love to hear owners opinions of why they chose the bike they have and maybe help me decided.

I will be riding a variety of terrain with a lot of tighter fun trails and a very small amount of road.

Welcome to Dirtriderz mate

I can simply answer your question, get a ride on a TPI and you will have your answer.

• Like 2

300 is an awesome bike and lots are riding them.

Im loving my 350excf .... but I am biased towards 4T’s.

The only blokes that always seem to struggle these days are guys on MX bikes .... unless they are very good riders

• Like 2

Flip a coin or go with your heart , no one can choose for you , both will serve you well.

Have to agree with  Scotland about the MX bikes

• Like 3

Yes I understand the sxf is a different bike suspension wise but I thought the power and delivery of a 2019 model excf would be similar to a 2016 sxf?

As stated above the sxf and excf are quite different. Sxf has linkage, 5 speed box, more aggressive mapping, more of a handful. Excf has pds, 6 speed box, more weight and mild maps in comparison just to name a few things. 

The XCF range is a happy medium of the 2 bikes. 

All great bikes though so you're pretty safe with the choices you'll adapt to whatever you choose.

• Like 2

if you are just getting back in to riding then I would suggest the 350 as they are so easy to ride , then once you get some seat time in and get your confidence up you can always change over to a 300 at a later date

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mick said:

Flip a coin or go with your heart , no one can choose for you , both will serve you well.

Have to agree with  Scotland about the MX bikes

Agree.  Its a tough call because either choice is right.  if you're just getting back into it dont get a xcf for the bush. exc are more forgiving.    250 2st is probably better if you get into the snotty stuff.  Grab a bike and get out there! 

• Like 3

If you only do tight stuff go tpi but if you you do everything  go the 350 imo the 350 the the best because  it does everything  good but a tpi is a little bit better in the really hard stuff  but I have lot more fun on the 350 than the tpi as it feel boring and need to run tight gear on tpi as I hate tight gearing and the tpi the only bike I had than stop me from some ride because  it suck on fuel and don't like  to sit on 100km and feel very under power for my 130kg ass

• Like 1

I've got an older 2014 350 SXF. I love the motor, it's very snappy and accelerates like a 450 when you rev it right out. It runs ok at lower revs but needs more revs to take off making it harder on the slick stuff and does stall pretty easy if you chop the throttle or suddenly grab some traction at slow speeds. I like the close ratio gearbox and just run lower overall gearing. If you have very stiff suspension (mine was revalved / resprung for MX) it's near impossible to hang onto it on rocks and roots or find traction on the slick stuff. The traction, bouncing and deflection result in not liking hills.

• Like 4

If your an ex-2t rider than l would be more inclined to buy a 250 2T since you don't have to familiarize yourself on how to ride these 4T's properly.

With that said, if you were riding flowing, fast trails to open stuff like sand...then a 350-450 excf would be great...xcf is good but they are quite a handful and harsh..harsher even is an sxf which is purely an MX machine.

If majority of your riding is tight, technical to flowing and occasion transport track where you'll only be wide open for 1/4 of the time, then l would go a 250-300...hell even the 150 or 200 2t if your that well inclined!!!

Rode 2T's for 20 years, 3 years on a 350 and back on the 2T's in the last 2 years with a 300 TPI now...best decision l made was 1). Go back to a 2 banger and 2). The TPI is so nice, and not the handful like the earlier 300 2T's were - and l still like the Beta300's in the tight stuff if you want an 'affordable' 2T!!

Get on some test rides and try and ride a 4T and 2T back to back on the same track - good luck!!!

• Like 3

Thankyou all for the replies so far

I'm going into the dealer this afternoon to throw my leg over the bikes and maybe have a small ride of both.

Will likely put a deposit down on one today if I can make my mind up.

If not i still have a couple of weeks left till the end of the sale and will likely read all the opinions and reviews and make myself more confused haha

• Like 3

Come on guys let’s have a pick witch bike he will buy once he has a ride on both?

My guess is a tpi

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LuRkIn said:

Thankyou all for the replies so far

I'm going into the dealer this afternoon to throw my leg over the bikes and maybe have a small ride of both.

Will likely put a deposit down on one today emoji41.png if I can make my mind up.

If not i still have a couple of weeks left till the end of the sale and will likely read all the opinions and reviews and make myself more confused haha

Is there a sale on?

I'm thinking he ends up with a Sherco 300 2stroke ;)

22 minutes ago, BearMX said:

Is there a sale on?

I'd be thinking either EOFY or getting ready for the 2020 models ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BearMX said:

Is there a sale on?

Just the EOFY sales. They start with a $1000-1200 off rrp and then you can haggle from their

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Walked into the dealer yesterday with my heart set on a 300 tpi walked out with a deposit on a 350excf :blink: 

Still have the option to change my mind to the 300 for a couple of days but I'm pretty happy with my choice at the moment.

• Like 3

Walked into the dealer yesterday with my heart set on a 300 tpi walked out with a deposit on a 350excf :blink: 
Still have the option to change my mind to the 300 for a couple of days but I'm pretty happy with my choice at the moment.

Did you get a chance to have a ride on a tpi ??
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

Did you get a chance to have a ride on a tpi ??

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to ride a tpi or the 350 as the dealer had sold out of all the 300/350 floor stock due to the sale

Yeah, that’s a decision not to be taken lightly, especially if you’ve been off the bike for a while...

It almost hurts to say this, but I think the excf would be a more versatile machine to get back into riding again.

29 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Yeah, that’s a decision not to be taken lightly, especially if you’ve been off the bike for a while...

It almost hurts to say this, but I think the excf would be a more versatile machine to get back into riding again.

A few factors swung me towards the 350 my riding skill being one of them haha

• Like 1

Congratulations mate,both awesome bikes so enjoy.

All opinion aside, you’re spot on Cluffie. And at the end of the day, 2 wheels is better than no wheels...!
  • Like 2