ray.g.35

KTM start button issue

My 2017 KTM 350EXC F (45hrs) has just had a starting issue, during a recent ride and it was intermittent. Id hit the grey start button

and nothing, no priming of the pumps and definitely no start.

Hit the button a few times and eventually starts, stopped later in the ride and same again, intermittently though.

Got through the ride and returned home, only to have this issue happen again.

What I noticed at this time back home, I happened to rotate bars full right and it started, bars left and no start, then right and started on several attempts.

Now nothing, no start and no priming of the fuel pumps.

Below is what I have done so far…

· I have checked the battery, checks out correct voltage and crank amps,

· Checked earth strap from battery to connection behind battery, looked fine but cleaned these anyhow

· Checked starter solenoid, checked 20a fuses, look fine, sprayed contact cleaner on these connections

·

· Sprayed contact cleaner into the on/off switch

·

· Sprayed contact cleaner into the cut out switch

·

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this issue and what the cause is or any thoughts where to look

Look forward to your reply

Thanks in advance

Might be the same wiring issue that Magenta reported in the 300 tpi thread?

Definately sound's like a wiring issue around the loom near and around the triple clamp! Jiggle the loom around whilst starting as " I happened to rotate bars full right and it started, bars left and no start, then right and started on several attempts." indicates this.

• Like 2

Sounds like the wire was tight and has stretched by turning the bars right in shortens the length and makes contact.

trace the wire and see if it’s tight when you turn the bars left ?

Ok thanks I’ve checked wiring and all appear ok, also held start button down and jiggled wiring, nothing
Anyway of bypassing the start buttoncde8e3199e1ce2bed8b853bf86c6bdb1.jpg

I've had the same issue with the grey start buttons. I just replaced mine and everything was back to normal. I leave a spare in my camel back now

I've had the same issue with the grey start buttons. I just replaced mine and everything was back to normal. I leave a spare in my camel back now

Cheers mate whilst I keep checking the wiring in the back of my mind I’m thinking it’s this switch
  • Like 1

Yeww, issue found and now to fix
A broken wire in the switch loom just after the harness plug
Suggestions for best method to fix, solder together?5d2202669952c520b9a669554a9fc90d.jpg216ffe4a3d264a4cd587559a6e450fe8.jpg

• Like 1

Might as well cut the brown wire and add a bit of length, solder, heat shrink and wrap with electrical tape.

• Like 1