MKM

Ktm 300 top end

Hi guys. My Ktm 300 2017 just clocked up 80hrs today.

When is everyone doing the top end on these. Also what piston are being used. Genuine (cast) or aftermarket Forged?

thanks

mark

Good time to do it but others are going to 100hrs. If you've ridden in plenty of dust i'd do it now.
I do mine at 70 hrs and they are still good which is the way i like it and the bike stays fresh with good power.
Genuine,vertex,pro x,meteor are all good. Make sure you do the little end bearing also which doesn't usually come in the kits and use the correct thickness base gasket.
Pre 2017 pistons are different(longer skirt) and can hit the crankshaft when running so make sure you don't use an older model piston unless it's been ground down.

• Like 6

Did 2nd top end rebuild on my 17 300 EXC about 3 weeks ago. Now at about 10,000 km or about 370 hours. So did about 180 hours on last piston.  Ring wear was evident piston wear minimal.   If your air cleaner is kept clean and sealed 150 hours + to a top end is not unreasonable.  

The KTM top end rebuild kit is  about $315. Includes all gaskets (including both power valve cover gaskets) piston pin and little end bearing. The standard circlips are tricky to install so I use the  slavens clips which have the little curly bits on the end making installation a breeze with needle nose pliers.

Removing the wire clip that links the power valve arm can be tricky.  There are youtube videos on it. When  you have done it once its easy.  I leave the head attached to the barrel.  Can see no reason to separate them. Others may have a different view.  There is a type 1 and type 2 piston designation in the KTM kit. Type 1 where there is little or no barrel wear. Type 2 if there is some wear.  My local KTM shop (Hoppers Crossing) always inspects my barrel and piston/rings and checks wear.  A good knowledgeable  dealer or bike mechanic will measure and advise if you need a type 2.

Use the radiator coolant bleeder screw when re filling - air bubbles bad.  

A head torch is really useful.

35 NM on the head bolts 

I am no mechanic (just ask BearMX) but I can do this procedure in a half day or so cleaning and inspecting all parts removed.  

• Like 5

Thanks Cluffie and Brucektmguy. I always clean my air filter every ride. 

It feel still to have plenty of compression the kick starter but don’t have a comp tester. 

I have been told of guys doing 100+ hrs before doing a top end and still looked good. 

Did u get a kit or buy everything separate as last time I priced it up I would of had to buy everything separate?

• Like 2

Is that the original barrel Bruce? If so,was it still in the service manuals tolerance or didn't they measure it?
If so,you must be using a good oil at a good ratio and have a good service regime. Keep it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cluffie said:

Is that the original barrel Bruce? If so,was it still in the service manuals tolerance or didn't they measure it?
If so,you must be using a good oil at a good ratio and have a good service regime. Keep it up.

Bruce's riding regime is to thrash it to within an inch of it's life and then thrash it a bit more! I'd be comfortable with his experience on hours; they're actually probably conservative for more timid riders like me. I know I slag KTMs at times but they're pretty robust.

3 hours ago, brucektmguy said:

I am no mechanic (just ask BearMX) but I can do this procedure in a half day or so cleaning and inspecting all parts removed.

I'll give you credit, your maintenance regime and mechanical skills have actually improved dramatically over the years; your local shop is technically very good too.

• Like 2

Hi guys.

My Ktm 300 exc-e 2008 mdl has  just clocked up 80hrs, piston and barrel look great, it has a type 1 with a  71.925 on it ,aimageproxy.php?img=&key=f784586b93b41319imageproxy.php?img=&key=f784586b93b41319imageproxy.php?img=&key=f784586b93b41319s mentioned barrel looks good no scuffs no catches and no pitting.

Where are people getting there pistons from ebay, mx spares etc: etc;  and should I be looking for the same brand or changing,   In the old days 30+ years ago we would 

simply replace rings and go ride for another year or two until it had no power and push it home at the end of the day and start again, they where the days.

Can anyone suggest brands ? or do i simply  go to KTM and get the exact same again as it certainly has kept extremely well.

I will attach pictures of piston straight out of bike not even been wiped as yet head also is pictured untouched as yet, then final pic is of cleaned top to get numbers of slug.

any help /  advice is graciously accepted 

p.s and the bike  has not been started for 5 months now, always stored with dry carb and no fuel in tank.

cheers 

20190519_112504.jpg

20190519_110903.jpg

20190519_163728.jpg

On 5/6/2019 at 3:08 PM, MKM said:

I always clean my air filter every ride. 

Just remember there is absolutely no need to change your air filter after every ride if there is no or minimal dust. Or you don't ride in big groups, Just use good filter oil (not that spray shit in a can or that no toils stuff) The more you wash your filter the more it breaks down. 

• Like 5

On 5/20/2019 at 9:57 PM, Gypsy501 said:

I’d rather replace a air filter than a engine.

+1

• Confused 1

On 5/20/2019 at 9:57 PM, Gypsy501 said:

I’d rather replace a air filter than a engine.

Buy a Yamaha  lol

• Haha 3

Just did my first top end at 130 hrs , had Dave at TSP inspect bore and piston and all was ok 

I installed a B piston 

• Like 3

I have a Beta 300RR (2017) and have got about 210 hours on it. I replaced my first piston at 115 hours and followed the Youtube video here :

Watching this video demystified the process for me.