rwcfrank

Chain lube video

This video although cheesier than Cheetos, is quite informative. The only info missing is the effects of the lubes on the O/X rings.

• Like 7

Wd 40 or similar to stop rust after washing,thats it.
Chainlube is a waste of money and just collects dust which acts as a grinding paste and actually increases wear.

• Like 4

I’ve been wiping mine with a rag dipped in oil for years after washing. I hope the video saves someone a few bucks.

• Like 2

Winter mud riding is what destroys chains,sprockets and chain guides. Lube lasts only 5 minutes or to the first big puddle.  If your riding in dry conditions this gear lasts for years without any lube and your chain will rarely need adjusting. If your adjusting your chain then wear is happening. In a wet winter adjustment is needed every ride or 2 once the chain has been worn in a bit. Chain lube is a rip off to suck in the vunerable who don't know any better.  It is very easy to apply,convenient and non messy so this reels in a few buyers. 

• Like 1

Winter mud riding is what destroys chains,sprockets and chain guides. Lube lasts only 5 minutes or to the first big puddle.  If your riding in dry conditions this gear lasts for years without any lube and your chain will rarely need adjusting. If your adjusting your chain then wear is happening. In a wet winter adjustment is needed every ride or 2 once the chain has been worn in a bit. Chain lube is a rip off to suck in the vunerable who don't know any better.  It is very easy to apply,convenient and non messy so this reels in a few buyers. 

All good points Cluffie, I would add that removing the chain guards (both) and adding a case saver help prevent mud building up.
  • Like 2

I spray my chain with brake cleaner while washing the bike.

then belray chain lube before a ride. its bloody expensive so if i dont need it and can use something cheaper like WD40 or nothing at all then I will do that!

Buy a top aftermarket  chain and you will not have trouble